MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I liked the cherry pick about 4X November.   November, friends, November.

CoC may ultimately be correct the early spenders are leading indicators of a more player friendly future, but I feel some of it may also have been the Clubs wanting a few shiny objects for this memo.

Yep, I think the owners  were basically told... if you're already planning on being big spenders anyway, spend it quick in November.   The dumb fans will see $100M contracts and $40M AAV contracts  and get upset at what the players are making, then when we do the lockout we'll start the PR blitz about how the players are trying to change the system drastically in their favor.

It's all about the spin.

Even Elias took part, probably spent more on Lyles than he had planned to spend the entire offseason.

It was new to me in this podcast that Patches on Uniforms is something else alongside Playoff Expansion the league is seeking, and that at least in this discussion, the guess of $8mm/year/Club would be enough extra revenue to support approximately doubling the minimum wage.

Britt Ghiroli at the end talking about Buck/Mets also raised a chicken/egg with Buck non-use of analytics late in Orioles tenure...was it that he didn't want them, or that the Orioles just didn't have them as the MLB payroll had all the investment?