Buck's 2022-2023 New York Mets

Just Regular

While it makes me feel old that Eric Chavez is now a coach, I do enjoy that Buck seems to be staff building and re-connecting with the New York media market he is reputed to be able to handle by swiping a recent Yankees hire.    Gotta keep them scribes happy with content.    Can't wait for Steve Cohen to start tweeting about Aaron Judge.

(Of course Chavez is much older than the Orioles newfangled duo, but that's different)

Edited by Just Regular

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I predict the New York media will love Buck.  Buck is full of quirky phrases and funny stories.  I believe he will handle the job much better than his 1st go around with the Yankees.  Sucks that Buck lost the Yankee job right before their talented young nucleus broke through. 

What problems did Buck have as the Yankee manager?  My memory is that the NY media loved him and he didn't have problems there.

• 1 month later...

Got himself a tall right-hander named Chris.

That Baseball Trade Values thing thinks the lead prospect J.T. Ginn in the deal was median $10M whereas Bassitt was up around $17M.   Whether it is miscalibrated or OAK was just fond of Ginn, who knows?   It should get a lot of real life data points this week though.

Of current Orioles, it guesses Hays in the high teens, and Santander around 10, with Westburg and Mayo the two lone player properties between them.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this in a piece on the Yankees relying heavily on Arb and Free Agent players, but the chart in the piece is even more extreme for these Mets.    Buck will have no want of veteranosity:

With six pre-arb players, the Yankees have the second-fewest in MLB (the Mets have just three). 

image1-12.png

deGrom is hurt and expected to miss significant time. This is coming off a 2021 season where deGrom only pitched 92 innings. 

Sources: New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom to miss significant time with stress reaction in shoulder

New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom will miss Opening Day after an imaging test showed a stress reaction in his right scapula, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

While the timetable for deGrom's return is unclear, the injury is expected to sideline him for a significant amount of time, according to sources.

While the shoulder, a tangle of overlapping muscles, looked clean, the bone prompted enough concern to shut down deGrom for the start of what could be his final season with the Mets. He has said he plans to opt out of his contract following this season, during which he'll be paid $33.5 million, but added that he "love(s) being a Met" and that "it would be really cool to be one for my entire career."

I guess we can rule out Jacob deGrom doing the Manny Machado thing to Scherzer's Chris Davis like, "You just paid this guy $43M AAV.    Look at how much better than him I am!".

I heard a podcaster the other day touting Edwin Diaz's 98.9 average fastball as the spring's fastest....I guess he missed that DL Hall inning.    I hope for more innings but wonder as RP only how far up the Hader-to-Aroldis fastball scale he could get.

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

deGrom is hurt and expected to miss significant time. This is coming off a 2021 season where deGrom only pitched 92 innings. 

Sources: New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom to miss significant time with stress reaction in shoulder

For the most expensive team in baseball (or 2nd behind the Dodgers), the Mets seems to have a pitching staff with holes and lots of possible injury problems.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them miss the playoffs again. Not sure it's a good idea for any team to spend $80mill/yr for 2 starters. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Good 1st weekend for his team, plenty of drama in DC.

Regardless of who is right, who is wrong, whether anything was intentional or not... it doesn't matter.

Buck has already convinced his team that he's got their back and he's got them in that us-against-the-world mentality that he is so good at fostering.

Just hope he doesn't lose them by bringing in Ubaldo at a critical moment.

23 hours ago, SteveA said:

Regardless of who is right, who is wrong, whether anything was intentional or not... it doesn't matter.

Buck has already convinced his team that he's got their back and he's got them in that us-against-the-world mentality that he is so good at fostering.

Just hope he doesn't lose them by bringing in Ubaldo at a critical moment.

Well the Mets are a team full of veterans, so he won't have those pesky rookies around to irritate him.  He gets good vets like Scherzer, DeGrom (when healthy) and Lindor, unlike vets like end of the line Vlad and disinterested Davis on the O's. 

• 4 weeks later...