Jump to content
waynebug

Baseball America has released a new top 50 Internationals 2022.

Recommended Posts

  • Plus Member
25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s the right question.   Discerning the answer isn’t easy, especially when all we have at the moment is the names of two players we are expected to sign.   We’ll know more when the full class is announced, and still more when the DSL season is played.   

Apparently discerning the answer is easy for some.  CoC has already determined that this years class isn't clearly better than last years. 

Which, even if true might not be a bad thing. We may realize 5 years from now that last years class was exceptional.  But it won't count because we didn't sign a top 5 bonus player.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently discerning the answer is easy for some.  CoC has already determined that this years class isn't clearly better than last years. 

Which, even if true might not be a bad thing. We may realize 5 years from now that last years class was exceptional.  But it won't count because we didn't sign a top 5 bonus player.  

And maybe last years class was just better overall, for everyone.  Some years are better than others.  The 2021 class may have just been more talented.  I am sure that this has been talked about somewhere?

Either way, purely judging it on money spent at the top is an awful way to judge it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And maybe last years class was just better overall, for everyone.  Some years are better than others.  The 2021 class may have just been more talented.  I am sure that this has been talked about somewhere?

Either way, purely judging it on money spent at the top is an awful way to judge it.

We will know a lot more in eight days, so I see no reason to even begin to judge this class.   Let’s see the whole class.   

Beyond that, we really don’t have much to go on other than bonuses, until they actually play some games.   Hopefully we’ll get some comments from Perez and maybe some third parties who have had eyes on these guys will toss us a few bones.    
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We will know a lot more in eight days, so I see no reason to even begin to judge this class.   Let’s see the whole class.   

Beyond that, we really don’t have much to go on other than bonuses, until they actually play some games.   Hopefully we’ll get some comments from Perez and maybe some third parties who have had eyes on these guys will toss us a few bones.    
 

We won’t know more in 8 days.  What we know in 8 days are names…but we have no idea what any of those names are able to do.

We will know in 3-5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We won’t know more in 8 days.  What we know in 8 days are names…but we have no idea what any of those names are able to do.

We will know in 3-5 years.

Well, we will know names, some bonuses, positions, maybe some tidbits about the players like I said.  We may know how much of the allotment has been spent.   All that is useful information and more than we know now.   I certainly agree that it takes 3-5 years to truly judge a class, and that bonus size doesn’t always match up with talent and performance.   I’ve made that point many, many times.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
38 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

Sorry in advance if this was already asked, but this CF is in addition to the other 2 international signees we already know about? Not bad if so. 

I don't think so. We've talked about 2 guys. Braylin Tavera, OF, and Leandro Arias, SS.  This is obviously one of the two.  Last year we signed another 500K (Wilmer Feliciano) a 350K (Anderson Delosantos)  and a few more in that 100K - 300K range, so assume we'll get similar announcements next Saturday and soon after.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Plus Member
On 1/7/2022 at 9:17 AM, Frobby said:

That’s the right question.   Discerning the answer isn’t easy, especially when all we have at the moment is the names of two players we are expected to sign.   We’ll know more when the full class is announced, and still more when the DSL season is played.   

Yeah, I think the evaluations are:

1) are we even in the game? (yes),
2) are we spending close to our allotment (yes), 
3) how good (in the aggregate) do the guys end up?

We're really in the #3 part of this, which is a major step forward. But now I'm sure the organization is evaluating successes and failures and trying to refine things. I'm guessing that's different for 16 year old international players than it is for 18 year olds with a big perfect game resume or 21 year old college players. 

We're in a good spot. Now it's just refining getting great at it over time. I suspect that's a priority for Elias, Sig and Perez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Posts

    • Are we willing to take on cash to buy a prospect?  Instead of paying Correa $30 million a year, we could buy CJ Abrams.    Mancini and Santander for Myers, Voigt, and Abrams.    We’d take on 60% of Myers $23 million, 60% of Voigt’s 5 million. That’s $17 million to buy Abrams plus, trading Mancini and Santander. We could trade Myers for whatever since we’re paying him. Stick Voigt at DH the rest of the season and hope he rebounds or DFA him in the offseason. 
    • Unfortunately Peralta seemed to regress back his crazy wild days again after working so hard to keep that under control. Kinda started to like him a bit last year and though the might be ok in a bullpen role, but he's been a disaster this year. I never was a Lebron guy. Very hittable fastball and nothing to get major league batters out consistently.  Cruz was a gangly, shockingly unathletic looking first baseman who had no business making it out of the FCL. His best quality seemed to be that he looked like a good teammate who was positive on the field. He had a decent raw power tool but couldn't transition that to game power against higher level pitching. 
    • For years I've regarded the Opening Day shortstop as a proxy for how Elias assesses the team. The 2023 market lacks info until after the World Series who is in it in a couple important cases.   The rest of this summer we'll see if the Club confers >50% shortstop games on either Henderson or Westburg. Mateo a reasonable tryout while you are marking time, but very long odds to be one of the planet's 30-40 best SS options next spring.    Today Gunnar might be #11 or #33 or a third baseman. If Adley and Grayson lead a magic carpet ride the next two months, not kidding about whether Yusniel Diaz and Dean Kremer are enough to rent Xander Bogaerts.    That magic carpet would push the 2022 Red Sox into the 2018 Orioles basket.
    • Peralta just never had the results to match the reported mid to high 90's velocity.   Lebron had great strikeout numbers but it's interesting that he hasn't pithed since once or twice early in the season and was old for AA last year.   Josue Cruz showed a lot of power in the DSL but always had high K numbers.  He struck out 48% of the time this year at Delmarva and was very shaky defensively at 1B with 7 errors.   I guess either Higgins or Moises Ramirez, who've both been disappointing in their own right will get the majority of 1B starts now at Delmarva. Lebron only pitched 1/3 of an inning at Norfolk and got bombed but I suspect he's damaged goods.   He did strike out 91 in 61 innings last year.   At 28, he wasn't a prospect but maybe a guy who had an outside shot at getting a cup of coffee in the bigs someday.
    • I mean, moving the wall back (more so than the dead ball) has had a quantifiable effect on Mountcastle's stats. Plus he's been hurt. He'll be alright.  Definitely concerned about Mullins. 
    • And his WOBA is at .401 and his HR/Fly ball rate is at 28.1% which is back to his AA numbers. 
    • I was definitely thrown off by the thread title, but he could be nontendered at any time and this prevents that, so in that technical sense you could call it extension. 
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...