Baseball America has released a new top 50 Internationals 2022.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s the right question.   Discerning the answer isn’t easy, especially when all we have at the moment is the names of two players we are expected to sign.   We’ll know more when the full class is announced, and still more when the DSL season is played.   

Apparently discerning the answer is easy for some.  CoC has already determined that this years class isn't clearly better than last years. 

Which, even if true might not be a bad thing. We may realize 5 years from now that last years class was exceptional.  But it won't count because we didn't sign a top 5 bonus player.  

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently discerning the answer is easy for some.  CoC has already determined that this years class isn't clearly better than last years. 

Which, even if true might not be a bad thing. We may realize 5 years from now that last years class was exceptional.  But it won't count because we didn't sign a top 5 bonus player.  

And maybe last years class was just better overall, for everyone.  Some years are better than others.  The 2021 class may have just been more talented.  I am sure that this has been talked about somewhere?

Either way, purely judging it on money spent at the top is an awful way to judge it.

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And maybe last years class was just better overall, for everyone.  Some years are better than others.  The 2021 class may have just been more talented.  I am sure that this has been talked about somewhere?

Either way, purely judging it on money spent at the top is an awful way to judge it.

We will know a lot more in eight days, so I see no reason to even begin to judge this class.   Let’s see the whole class.   

Beyond that, we really don’t have much to go on other than bonuses, until they actually play some games.   Hopefully we’ll get some comments from Perez and maybe some third parties who have had eyes on these guys will toss us a few bones.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We will know a lot more in eight days, so I see no reason to even begin to judge this class.   Let’s see the whole class.   

Beyond that, we really don’t have much to go on other than bonuses, until they actually play some games.   Hopefully we’ll get some comments from Perez and maybe some third parties who have had eyes on these guys will toss us a few bones.    

We won’t know more in 8 days.  What we know in 8 days are names…but we have no idea what any of those names are able to do.

We will know in 3-5 years.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We won’t know more in 8 days.  What we know in 8 days are names…but we have no idea what any of those names are able to do.

We will know in 3-5 years.

Well, we will know names, some bonuses, positions, maybe some tidbits about the players like I said.  We may know how much of the allotment has been spent.   All that is useful information and more than we know now.   I certainly agree that it takes 3-5 years to truly judge a class, and that bonus size doesn’t always match up with talent and performance.   I’ve made that point many, many times.   

38 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

Sorry in advance if this was already asked, but this CF is in addition to the other 2 international signees we already know about? Not bad if so. 

I don't think so. We've talked about 2 guys. Braylin Tavera, OF, and Leandro Arias, SS.  This is obviously one of the two.  Last year we signed another 500K (Wilmer Feliciano) a 350K (Anderson Delosantos)  and a few more in that 100K - 300K range, so assume we'll get similar announcements next Saturday and soon after.

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2022 at 9:17 AM, Frobby said:

That’s the right question.   Discerning the answer isn’t easy, especially when all we have at the moment is the names of two players we are expected to sign.   We’ll know more when the full class is announced, and still more when the DSL season is played.   

Yeah, I think the evaluations are:

1) are we even in the game? (yes),
2) are we spending close to our allotment (yes), 
3) how good (in the aggregate) do the guys end up?

We're really in the #3 part of this, which is a major step forward. But now I'm sure the organization is evaluating successes and failures and trying to refine things. I'm guessing that's different for 16 year old international players than it is for 18 year olds with a big perfect game resume or 21 year old college players. 

We're in a good spot. Now it's just refining getting great at it over time. I suspect that's a priority for Elias, Sig and Perez.