DocJJ

O's expected to sign Cuban defector Cesar Prieto

The 5'8 170 infielder led Cuban Series Nationale with a .402 average and had a 40 game hit streak.   He struck out 6 times in over 250 at bats.

He's reported to be a good fielder who can stick at shortstop, and has gap power with excellent plate discipline and contact ability.   He's 22 which is considered a bit old for an international prospect and his price tag is expected to be $750,000.    

I've heard the Cuban League is on par with High A ball minors.

• Plus Member

Wonder if he can be a fast riser through the system.  

If what @DocJJsaid is true and the Cuban league is like High A, it seems reasonable that he could start in Aberdeen and if all goes well, Bowie by halfway.  

I'm assuming our SS situation won't be solved this season, so maybe there's a chance he could get called up to Baltimore if the position continues to be a weak spot.  

Probably being too optimistic but this is an exciting sign, IMO.  Seems to have great patience at the plate, great bat to ball skills.  

• Plus Member
4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If what @DocJJsaid is true and the Cuban league is like High A, it seems reasonable that he could start in Aberdeen and if all goes well, Bowie by halfway.  

I'm assuming our SS situation won't be solved this season, so maybe there's a chance he could get called up to Baltimore if the position continues to be a weak spot.  

Probably being too optimistic but this is an exciting sign, IMO.  Seems to have great patience at the plate, great bat to ball skills.  

I like the Nick Madrigal comp I’ve read from a couple of sources.    Madrigal in 83 games has hit .317/.358/.406, and has been worth 1.7 rWAR.

• Plus Member
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like the Nick Madrigal comp I’ve read from a couple of sources.    Madrigal in 83 games has hit .317/.358/.406, and has been worth 1.7 rWAR.

I agree, that's a great comp.  I can't believe the White Sox traded him.

The lack of power will be a turnoff for some people but I don't really care if he can get on base at a decent clip and play good defense.

23 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You may be on the right track. MLBTR says could help Baltimore as soon as this year. Colby was interviewed and says he starts mid to high minors. Does that mean Bowie? With Westburg SS, Henderson 3B and Ortiz pushed to Until?

• Upvote 1