2022 International Signing Tracker

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, these were the highlighted players of this class. I will get more info about them when they are officially signed.

I’ve never looked forward to International Signing Day as much as this year.   Not so much because I have huge expectations for this group (though I certainly have high hopes), but because there’s just nothing else to talk about right now.   

Prieto is especially fun since he’s not 5-6 years away from the majors like most of these guys will be.   But I’m looking forward to hearing about all these guys.  All aboard the hype train!!

• Upvote 1

The Prieto signing wasn’t known until recently. He’s one of the better players in Cuba and at a young age. We should view him as a bonus 2nd/3rd rd draft pick. Great depth. He most certainly will make either Delmarva or Frederick on OD. A really good signing. The international classes are getting incrementally better each year. 

• Upvote 1

@Tony-OH Thanks for all your hard work getting the board migrated. It’s good to be back. 

I saw on MLBTR that the O’s and five other teams have the highest int’l bonus pool allotments at $6.2mm.  We’ve always spent our entire bonus pool money in the regular draft.  It would be huge to actually see us find good enough players for us to reach $6.2mm and not trade slots for 26 yo UTIL guys.

The Prieto signing out of Cuba seems very underrated.  The Eric Sogard comp really threw some cold water on it, and we all have Hanser Alberto memories, but I think this guy has a higher ceiling.  He is arguably the “best hitter” in Cuba.

I would think Prieto ranks somewhere between Norby, Vavra, and Ortiz.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH Thanks for all your hard work getting the board migrated. It’s good to be back. 

I saw on MLBTR that the O’s and five other teams have the highest int’l bonus pool allotments at $6.2mm.  We’ve always spent our entire bonus pool money in the regular draft.  It would be huge to actually see us find good enough players for us to reach $6.2mm and not trade slots for 26 yo UTIL guys.

The Prieto signing out of Cuba seems very underrated.  The Eric Sogard comp really threw some cold water on it, and we all have Hanser Alberto memories, but I think this guy has a higher ceiling.  He is arguably the “best hitter” in Cuba.

I would think Prieto ranks somewhere between Norby, Vavra, and Ortiz.  

From the video I've seen and the reports, I think he's probably somewhere around those guys prospect wise. He's got a nice swing but the quality of pitching he was seeing was not very good. I'd probably have him behind Norby but in front of Vavra initially. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From the video I've seen and the reports, I think he's probably somewhere around those guys prospect wise. He's got a nice swing but the quality of pitching he was seeing was not very good. I'd probably have him behind Norby but in front of Vavra initially. 

Sounds like a really good signing for $750k, which is essentially 2nd rd draft pick money. I’m assuming that at least half of our pool went to Valera(1.5mm), Prieto(750k), and Arias. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

You want to know what a top international program looks like?  Per Fangraphs, 10 of the Yankees’ top 12 prospects were international signings.   

Good international program and late draft position in the U.S. amateur draft.

1 minute ago, waynebug said:

And they're quick to trade those Internationals for Major League Talent.

They've given about $4 million to their top signee Roderick Arias, the shortstop.   Leaves them $1.2 to fill out their class.

They spent more than that on Jasson Dominguez, at 5.1M he was practically the class for the whole year.

Looking at Baseball America's "signing preview".   You have to read between the lines.  Their coverage was next to worthless this year, It appears this was the order of the bonuses:

1. Tavera

2. Arias

3. Prieto

4. Amparo

No one else was mentioned, Just the biggest bonuses for all 30 teams.  They didn't even mention the dollar amounts.  Maybe Steve Melewski will fill in the details.

9 hours ago, waynebug said:

Looking at Baseball America's "signing preview".   You have to read between the lines.  Their coverage was next to worthless this year, It appears this was the order of the bonuses:

1. Tavera

2. Arias

3. Prieto

4. Amparo

No one else was mentioned, Just the biggest bonuses for all 30 teams.  They didn't even mention the dollar amounts.  Maybe Steve Melewski will fill in the details.

I am sure we will get some details today. Bonus information on the Dominican and Cuban guys generally gets out.   They do try to keep a lid on the Venezuelans because of the kidnapping problems that happen there.   

We know Tony has been talking to a team source and hopefully once these signings occur he will have some tidbits about these players.   And either Elias or Perez usually tosses the media a few bones.

Updated by BA during the day.  So far:

Baltimore Orioles ($6,262,600)

Braylin Tavera, OF, Dominican Republic
Leandro Arias, SS, Dominican Republic
Cesar Prieto, 2B, Cuba
Edwin Amparo, SS, Dominican Republic
Jean Mata, OF, Venezuela
Jose Noguera, C, Venezuela