Another mini camp to be held

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK...let me get this right.

The 1-1 pick in the draft needs to start in the GCL after a six week layoff but Kjerstad is good with skipping multiple levels after missing a season and a half.

Boy folks just don't want to admit that it was nonsense to start Rutschman in the GCL.

Crazy.

It's OK to admit it was BS to start him at that low a level.

I think it’s likely Kjerstad starts at Delmarva.   I don’t think he’ll stay there very long if he performs well.   Westburg and Mundy for example played 20 games there.   Now, if Kjerstad struggles out of the gate it could take a little longer.   

I honestly don't care where Kjerstad starts, but I would really like to see him end the season in Bowie even if just for a month's worth of games. If he preforms well and earns his way to AA, that would be huge to help replenish the top of a system that is likely to graduate their top 2 prospects. 

28 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I honestly don't care where Kjerstad starts, but I would really like to see him end the season in Bowie even if just for a month's worth of games. If he preforms well and earns his way to AA, that would be huge to help replenish the top of a system that is likely to graduate their top 2 prospects. 

He really doesn't need to spend much time in A at all assuming he does well. Kjerstad will be old for those leagues. 

17 hours ago, waroriole said:

I think it’s been clearly established that they use GCL as an orientation to the organization. Cowser started there this year. 

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK...let me get this right.

The 1-1 pick in the draft needs to start in the GCL after a six week layoff but Kjerstad is good with skipping multiple levels after missing a season and a half.

Boy folks just don't want to admit that it was nonsense to start Rutschman in the GCL.

Crazy.

It's OK to admit it was BS to start him at that low a level.

I'll add my two cents. I don't think AR NEEDED to start in the GCL but I don't think that it was a bad decision either. I think it had more to do with the fact that the GCL was actually playing games at that point in the season and there was no down side to giving him a week or so of ABs before sending him north. Kjerstad is starting at a time when the GCL is not playing so, he would either need to stay behind or go to a full season team. It is a much different decision with him than it was with AR. In the end I think starting AR in the GCL was a big nothing and I am not sure why there is so much angst two years later. It's not like it hurt his development or delayed his arrival. ME has shown that he can be pretty aggressive with promotions if warranted so....

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think Kjerstad will start in the GCL unless he gets that "orientation" in spring training. 

You really think he will not play in games until the end of June? You might be correct but, assuming he is healthy, I would think they get him playing in games ASAP. He has missed a lot of game action and I just can't see them wasting another 3 plus months to get him going. I would think he starts at Delmarva and get promoted pretty quickly if he rakes. Now, if he is not healthy or can't condition properly then you might be right. But everything we've heard says that he is a full go. 

20 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

You really think he will not play in games until the end of June? You might be correct but, assuming he is healthy, I would think they get him playing in games ASAP. He has missed a lot of game action and I just can't see them wasting another 3 plus months to get him going. I would think he starts at Delmarva and get promoted pretty quickly if he rakes. Now, if he is not healthy or can't condition properly then you might be right. But everything we've heard says that he is a full go. 

No way he isn’t going to be on a full season club, barring a health setback.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I think Kjerstad will start in the GCL unless he gets that "orientation" in spring training. 

Unless he has a health setback, I can't imagine him not making Delmarva. If he doesn't make a full season club and is "healthy" then we have to start having very serious concerns about his recovery and his ability to play baseball at a high level.

5 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I'll add my two cents. I don't think AR NEEDED to start in the GCL but I don't think that it was a bad decision either. I think it had more to do with the fact that the GCL was actually playing games at that point in the season and there was no down side to giving him a week or so of ABs before sending him north. Kjerstad is starting at a time when the GCL is not playing so, he would either need to stay behind or go to a full season team. It is a much different decision with him than it was with AR. In the end I think starting AR in the GCL was a big nothing and I am not sure why there is so much angst two years later. It's not like it hurt his development or delayed his arrival. ME has shown that he can be pretty aggressive with promotions if warranted so....

But they weren't.  A TON of games got rained out that season.  I live down here, the weather was miserable with rain that summer.   He didn't just show up and play seven games in eight days.

As I've said I have no issue with starting Kjerstad at a higher level if he's sound physically.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

Nope. I just forgot about that, lol. I'm an idiot. :)

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Unless he has a health setback, I can't imagine him not making Delmarva. If he doesn't make a full season club and is "healthy" then we have to start having very serious concerns about his recovery and his ability to play baseball at a high level.

Right that would be a red flag if he still isnt ready come April. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they weren't.  A TON of games got rained out that season.  I live down here, the weather was miserable with rain that summer.   He didn't just show up and play seven games in eight days.

No, he played 5 games in 7 days.  

I’m not really sure what your point here is.   Obviously assigning  Kjerstad to the FCL when they don’t start playing games until June is different that assigning Rutschman there while the GCL season was well underway.   The fact that the GCL had some rainouts is different from knowing the team isn’t going to play any games at all for a couple of months.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, he played 5 games in 7 days.  

I’m not really sure what your point here is.   Obviously assigning  Kjerstad to the FCL when they don’t start playing games until June is different that assigning Rutschman there while the GCL season was well underway.   The fact that the GCL had some rainouts is different from knowing the team isn’t going to play any games at all for a couple of months.

My point was pretty simple, if you wanted Adley to actually play games at that point in time the GCL was a terrible choice given the amount of rainouts they had.

The rainy season was very bad that year.

22 hours ago, jabba72 said:

He really doesn't need to spend much time in A at all assuming he does well. Kjerstad will be old for those leagues. 

I agree on the age front, but given he hasn't played since a pandemic shortened college season in 2020 and he's coming off a serious health issue I can see Elias slow playing a bit to allow him to get his feet under him as this will be his first professional season. The best case scenario is he spends more than half the season in Bowie and is one of our top prospects heading into 2023. But there's a chance he needs some ramp up time and struggles a bit out of the gate. So, yes, I hope he dominates Aberdeen and is in Bowie by early June and raking there, too. But, as long as he is healthy and holding his own in Bowie to end the season, I would consider the season a successful one for him.