Druw Jones, 2022 draft HS prospect

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I have seen terrible strikeouts from Druw Jones Jr.   He has way more strikeout in his game than Johnson...   kind of like Elijah Green.  Termarr seems to have much less swing and miss...

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/baseball-player-of-the-year-wesleyans-druw-jones/article_0c400ed8-d302-11eb-a63b-df6e2c29c775.html

Jones showed enough patience to draw 29 bases on balls in 152 plate appearances, or one walk every 5.2 trips to the plate, and eventually, that gained him more pitches to hit, which he took full advantage of.

It would be nice to know what his strikeout rate was.  He was consciously trying to draw walks as he was batting leadoff quite a bit.  I looked and couldn't find a strikeout rate for him.

11 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I have seen terrible strikeouts from Druw Jones Jr.   He has way more strikeout in his game than Johnson...   kind of like Elijah Green.  Termarr seems to have much less swing and miss...

I saw Riley Green swing and miss a lot in HS. Mostly against weaker competition. When he faced elite pitchers, he crushed. It is strange how that happens, but I would worry more if it was against better pitching. Riley is the #4 or so prospect in the minor leagues, and a star for a long time to come. 

Elijah Greene has holes in his swing against the more elite pitchers, but he is impressive in many ways. Druw Jones has a tremendous overall profile, and has great instincts for the game. Druw will still make mistakes and whiff, sure. But Druw is a much more advanced player overall, and for me, a high ceiling pick with lower risk than Elijah.

Termarr has a great contact ability, but a 2B profile on a kid that will only get thicker? IDK.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2022 at 8:05 AM, Just Regular said:

I see it more like the plus is his dad was a baseball lifer.   I don't know if Cal RIpken, Sr. played the minors (my main memory of Cal's account of his dad's athletic exploits in one of his books involved soccer and a drill), but baseball is a skill game and developing some of those skills is a byproduct of time invested.   If Termarr Johnson ends up driving to whatever "Bluefield" is these days right after his high school graduation ceremony, he might not be as far along as Cal was on the Oriole Way of infield cutoffs.    Termarr will be ahead of Cal at perfecting the physics of his swing path.

With this year's basket, it'll be interesting here to see what we can learn of high school baseball week by week.  I imagine Elijah's IMG Academy (still love that truth in labeling name so much) may have a little more visibility than Druw and Termarr playing Georgia high school ball.

Elias I am sure would sign up in blood to have those guys participate in the "MLB Draft Combine", but my guess is the representation of blue chips won't be that naive (unless maybe one of them has a bad senior season).    The texture of this year's 1-1 feels so much different than the Adley year when #PlayBadlyforAdley was a thing by the end of his sophomore year.

Sr played catcher and had his career derailed when he took a foul ball off his shoulder.  I don’t think he was an exceptional player but maybe a Billy type talent. This is second hand info from when I was a kid, so may be close but not 100%. 

I like when a kid comes from a sports family like Elijah Green because the athleticism is real actively known.