Sounds like there won't be an international draft after all.

The Players Union wants the players to have freedom of choice.  So the Big Markets and Warm Weather Markets still have an advantage.

But it sounds like the players cannot reach an agreement before age 15.  Good idea that should protect the player and the MLB team.

Personally, I like this.  But the winners are the Yankees and Dodgers, and the players.

17 minutes ago, waynebug said:

The Players Union wants the players to have freedom of choice.  So the Big Markets and Warm Weather Markets still have an advantage.

But it sounds like the players cannot reach an agreement before age 15.  Good idea that should protect the player and the MLB team.

Personally, I like this.  But the winners are the Yankees and Dodgers, and the players.

No draft benefits the Orioles so long as they continue to have the maximum allotment compared to most other teams.  Plus, it allows their new complex to be a selling point, as opposed to being irrelevant to player acquisition.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, waynebug said:

How so?

Players want to go to Big Market teams.  2019 the Yankees signed the #1 player.  2022 they sign the #2 player.  Yankees never rebuild, they are consistent winners and contenders.

Dodgers do very well everywhere, especially Mexico.  Players have been known to turn down more money to sign with the Dodgers.  (the catcher Galiz) The ultimate Big Money/Warm Weather team.

1 minute ago, waynebug said:

Players want to go to Big Market teams.  2019 the Yankees signed the #1 player.  2022 they sign the #2 player.  Yankees never rebuild, they are consistent winners and contenders.

Dodgers do very well everywhere, especially Mexico.  Players have been known to turn down more money to sign with the Dodgers.  (the catcher Galiz) The ultimate Big Money/Warm Weather team.

The Top International prospect this season was signed by the Mariners, the number two guy was signed by the Giants.

Last year's top guy was a Ray.

Yea, Jasson was the top guy in his class but he's been pretty pedestrian.

I don't think you can look at actual results and say that the Yankees and Dodgers have a significant advantage.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, waynebug said:

LA (and a lot of So-Cal) have a very large latino population. That would make it much easier for most of those players to assimilate. 

For everybody that wants to know

the Nationals gave out the largest bonus to a 16 year old Cuban outfielder, 4.9 million.  Vasquez

the Yankees gave out the 2nd largest bonus to the shortstop Arias. 4.0 million.

if you watch the top 30-40 prospect lists over the years the Dodgers and Yankees had the strongest international presence.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, waynebug said:

For everybody that wants to know

the Nationals gave out the largest bonus to a 16 year old Cuban outfielder, 4.9 million.  Vasquez

the Yankees gave out the 2nd largest bonus to the shortstop Arias. 4.0 million.

if you watch the top 30-40 prospect lists over the years the Dodgers and Yankees had the strongest international presence.

I will take your point that the Yankees and Dodgers may have some advantage in picking up the guys who, at age 15, are considered the top of their class.   But it’s not because they can spend the most money; to the contrary, they have the least available to spend.   And, if they do chase those guys, it limits significantly the number of additional signings they can make.    A look at the history in Latin America suggests that having the capacity to sign a lot of players is that important.  

With the bonus pool money, it's stopped the big market teams from having a huge advantage. Now the Yankees cant come in and sign every player they vaguely want because they can just outspend everyone.

Personally, I think a draft would be best because then each team would be able to wait until players had reached their 16th birthday and not have to make agreements with the bigger names at 14, like they do now. 

Saying that, the Orioles, thanks mostly to Koby Perez, have made huge strides in understanding the market, and knowing when some players' price tags come down because their market dried up since teams only have so much to spend.

The Orioles are positioned pretty well right now either way, especially with their new academy that will draw in some good players, but if we judge Perez and his scouts ability to identify talent well, then a draft of 16 year olds would be a good thing.

• Upvote 2

You could also argue that LA and NY have an additional handicap in their state taxes. If one were to get through in a logical manner to a kid, they could have an advantage. Unfortunately, these decisions are emotional and also the handlers don’t care about the taxes or long term consequences of the deal because they don’t have the same liabilities.