O's could be getting Marquis

bigbird

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As usual read as little or as much into this as you want. Here's the deal I was told that was on the table to the Cubs:

Cubs get Peavy from SD

Orioles get Pie, Marquis + 4 million cash from CHI

Phillies get Derosa from CHI

SD gets Hill, Vitters, Cedeno from CHI, Olson form Bal, Happ from PHI

As usual, there are different rumors flying around. ESPN and Fox are both reporting a Cub's deal for Peavy is not close.
A Chicago Cubs source vehemently denied reports that a trade for Jake Peavy is imminent, telling ESPN.com Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3757369

OH insiders > ESPN. :D

I love the insiders, but just to add some perspective here...the insiders are much more interesting than ESPN, but by their very definition they report things that are not yet official. Some deals will always fall through. That means our insiders are more likely to be wrong - just by virtue of the "news" they're reporting - than ESPN. Still, I love their info just like most of the rest of you.

BTW, am I the only one who's hopeful that Marquis is a type B FA after this year. That seems very plausible to me, and the 2010 draft is rumored to be very strong. This trade, if it happens, is a great move by AM, IMO.

Why would we try not to move Luke Scott? It says in that espn article that the cubs are looking for a LH OFer. I think if we included Scott in this deal, we could get back another SP and/or Cedeno?

How does he fit that actually provides value to the Orioles? Or, better yet, what else do the Cubs have to offer (Marshall/Thomas would be a great start) and how much do they want to clean out their minor leagues/depth to fill needs? I just don't think he fits here.

OTOH, if the Phils get Derosa it would seem to free Jason Donald for a separate trade. Maybe a Scott/Mora for Donald/Feliz deal could work...but probably not.

How does he fit that actually provides value to the Orioles? Or, better yet, what else do the Cubs have to offer (Marshall/Thomas would be a great start) and how much do they want to clean out their minor leagues/depth to fill needs? I just don't think he fits here.

OTOH, if the Phils get Derosa it would seem to free Jason Donald for a separate trade. Maybe a Scott/Mora for Donald/Feliz deal could work...but probably not.

Well...the O's have holes...we all know this. I think SP depth is key as well as MI depth (of which we have none!). Include Scott to the Phils or Cubbies for another SP and a SS is probably the best starting point.

Archived