Schmuck: Ramon Deal to Cincy all but Complete

Birds08

Also, what's the likelihood we flip Freel to say, the Cubs, for Marquis? If the Cubs move one or more of Cedeno, Fontenot, etc, maybe a backup 2b like Freel would actually be of use to them - especially if it lets them dump salary in the bargain?

The more we hear the more complicated this entire Peavy deal is getting. However, if the Cubs are giving up Derosa and Cedeno, receiving a guy like Freel, or Salazar, would make some sense. However, it's probably more likely that they look to other options that can actually play SS and 2b.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it's already been reported that they shot down Frazier. :(
Todd Frazier, easy.

The list posted before the poster edited was outdated. Frazier is now easily in their top 4, sometimes as high as number 2.

The Reds have a bunch of pitching in the 7-13 range. I think we could easily come away with one of those types.

The more we hear the more complicated this entire Peavy deal is getting. However, if the Cubs are giving up Derosa and Cedeno, receiving a guy like Freel, or Salazar, would make some sense. However, it's probably more likely that they look to other options that can actually play SS and 2b.

The Cubs want a LH hitter. I don't think they want Freel or Salazar.

Just a possibility here...

It was reported that we originally asked for SS prospect Todd Frazier in exchange for Ramon and were turned down. Is it at all possible that we then agreed to take Freel and his contract back in order to get a good prospect? I'm not necessarily saying it's Frazier (that would be too good to be true) but there is a possibility that we agreed to take on Freel and save the Reds 4 Mil in order to get them to send us a solid prospect.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for...

Guys, this is a great deal. We are saving 4 million, freeing up a spot for Wieters, getting rid of Ramon's attitude, and Freel is actually a useful player. He can fill in in the IF or OF and he has crazy speed.

The minor league player is a bonus.

Don't see it that way.

Freel is a FA next year and the O's are highly unlikely to resign him at anywhere close to his current contract. So the long term value of this move (unless the prospect if valuable) is zero.

He can't backup SS requiring us to carry yet another utility type player. This means Freel + Util SS blocks players like Salazar and Montanez who deserve a shot at playing on the O's given their performances last year in the minors.

We aren't saving any money - Freel (4M) + 1 - 2 M in cash the Reds want + new veteran catcher (3 - 4 M) + additional Utility SS (400k) means we're actually losing money in the bargain. Ramon (8m) + Utility SS (400k) would be the same price or cheaper and be just as effective.

We don't need him - he'll almost never replace Roberts, Mora, Jones or Markakis in the field. So unless he's our starting LF, he'll be stealing at bats from Luke Scott or Felix Pie - not comfortable with either scenario.

Just a possibility here...

It was reported that we originally asked for SS prospect Todd Frazier in exchange for Ramon and were turned down. Is it at all possible that we then agreed to take Freel and his contract back in order to get a good prospect? I'm not necessarily saying it's Frazier (that would be too good to be true) but there is a possibility that we agreed to take on Freel and save the Reds 4 Mil in order to get them to send us a solid prospect.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for...

Make that two of us - McPhail has been looking at getting a longer-term solution at SS, in addition to a stop gap.

I would imagine if he strikes out on landing a good SS prospect, we'll end up with Itzuris (sp) for 3 years or so - just a guess on my part.

The Reds really don't have a surplus of SS's in their system and the ones they do have seem to be projected to move to 3B or 2B eventually, so they aren't going to trade any of them right now when they really don't know what their own SS situation is going to be yet (Gonzo is supposed to be back but if he isn't back, we have a light hitting guy in Janish, Keppinger who's better suited for utility work, and then nothing else right now). I can see a young pitcher coming the O's way but most of the Reds top 20 are outfielders which the O's seem to have in abundance (especially if Pie is coming back in that big deal). Stewart and I think Lotzkar were just drafted in the most recent draft so they're not eligible to be traded, Dickerson will probably be playing CF and Ramirez pitching for the big club this coming season, I've all ready mentioned their SS situation, and with Edwin Encarnacion being slightly on the trading block, I don't know how comfortable they'd be trading away any of their top 3B in this deal. I'd think any of Maloney, Thompson, Roenicke, Manuel, or Fisher could be included in a deal. I guess it depends on what the O's are looking for with this extra player because it could easily be an OF or pitcher or someone not even on this list (which folks are Redszone have been analyzing a lot because we feel like a few prospects got left off it). I'm interested to see who this other player is if the deal goes through and I'll start stocking tomatoes to throw at Ramon if he loafs it in Cincy next season. ;)

Freel is a **edited for inappropriate content** who pretty much is the exact opposite of the kind of player we want providing veteran leadership for our young guys. **edited for inappropriate content**

Ummm just for the record (and definitely not for personnal future reference;)) are we sure that is illegal in a strip club? :scratchchinhmm::D

Archived