Schmuck: Ramon Deal to Cincy all but Complete

Birds08

Only one. He pitched five shutout innings at Yankee Stadium in his ML debut. But he only made two starts after that, and lost them both.

In any case, three starts is too small a sample size to make anything from-- here are his minor-league stats.

He was injured part of last year which is why he didn't make more starts.

And Freel may be a little eccentric at times (he's quite a character actually and I mean it in a good way) but he's not a nutjob. He plays the game hard, always gives 110%, is a big team player, is great with the fans, and would bring a lot of energy and excitement to the Orioles clubhouse.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a possibility here...

It was reported that we originally asked for SS prospect Todd Frazier in exchange for Ramon and were turned down. Is it at all possible that we then agreed to take Freel and his contract back in order to get a good prospect? I'm not necessarily saying it's Frazier (that would be too good to be true) but there is a possibility that we agreed to take on Freel and save the Reds 4 Mil in order to get them to send us a solid prospect.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for...

Yes - this is what I'm hoping. The Reds don't need or want Freel. His contract was a mistake and for a small market team, paying that much money for a utility guy is just frikkin silly.

If the O's take back Freel and eat 2 million of Ramon's salary, the Reds are swapping a utility guys for a starting catcher for 2 million bucks in additional payroll. That's a lot of leverage towards prying a prospect not even in their top 5 away from them.

The Reds really don't have a surplus of SS's in their system and the ones they do have seem to be projected to move to 3B or 2B eventually, so they aren't going to trade any of them right now when they really don't know what their own SS situation is going to be yet. I can see a young pitcher coming the O's way but most of the Reds top 20 are outfielders which the O's seem to have in abundance (especially if Pie is coming back in that big deal). Stewart and I think Lotzkar were just drafted in the most recent draft so they're not eligible to be traded, Dickerson will probably be playing CF and Ramirez pitching for the big club this coming season, I've all ready mentioned their SS situation, and with Edwin Encarnacion being slightly on the trading block, I don't know how comfortable they'd be trading away any of their top 3B in this deal. I'd think any of Maloney, Thompson, Roenicke, Manuel, or Fisher could be included in a deal. I guess it depends on what the O's are looking for with this extra player because it could easily be an OF or pitcher or someone not even on this list (which folks are Redszone have been analyzing a lot because we feel like a few prospects got left off it). I'm interested to see who this other player is if the deal goes through and I'll start stocking tomatoes to throw at Ramon if he loafs it in Cincy next season. ;)

tomatoes(1).jpg

Here's a start for your collection but you'll need more. I recommend setting aside some space in your backyard or local community garden and buying yourself some plants in the spring. :laughlol:

Thanks blueberry!!! :clap3: :rofl: :mwahaha:

And because it will probably get lost in this thread (and because folks here seem to want everyone and their sisters SS prospects), I did mention the Reds current SS situation in my post. It bears repeating so I don't go bonkers saying the same thing over and over again, LOL ;)

The Reds really don't have a surplus of SS's in their system and the ones they do have seem to be projected to move to 3B or 2B eventually, so they aren't going to trade any of them right now when they really don't know what their own SS situation is going to be yet (Gonzo is supposed to be back but if he isn't back, we have a light hitting guy in Janish, Keppinger who's better suited for utility work, and then nothing else right now).

Man, I feel bad for Heather.

She has to watch Ramon with us and then he gets traded to her first favorite team? That ain't nothin good.

Thanks for the sympathy and I fixed that second sentence for you. ;) I'm a Cincy girl through and through but the O's will always be my AL team, except if they play the Reds at any point, LOL :laughlol:

With the additions of Freel and likely Pie, are we going to be able to put Montanez in AAA or is he going to have to clear waivers? Also, this would seem to guarantee that Reimold is in Norfolk to start the year, regardless of how he does in the spring. He needs to be playing everyday.

I think trading Scott is highly likely if we add Pie. Regardless of whether we sign Tex, I think that is a good thing. A lot of teams seem to be rumored to be looking for some left-handed power and Scott probably has more value now than he ever will.

The Ramon/ Freel deal leaves me to believe we are going to see a lot more moves in the coming months.

Archived