Hunter Barco

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is Liberty any good?  

My guess is they are not the strongest D I team, but one of my best friends went there and was on the team.   He got a hit off of a guy who would go on to pitch in the MLB.   

Barco is an interesting one to watch.   We'll see how he fares against stronger competition.   Many mocks have him in the 30s-40's range, so he could potentially be targeted with our compensation pick or 2nd round pick...

From Kevin Goldstein:

While he dominated in his 2022 debut on Friday, the fact that it came against Liberty makes it feel like more of a warmup outing than something that can really move the needle on his early draft stock, which looks to be somewhere in the 50-100 pick range entering the year. Barco’s stuff was as expected, as he sat 91-94 mph with his fastball while touching 95, leaned heavily on his low-80s slider as his primary out pitch, and mixed in an occasional changeup. None of the pitches grade out as plus, but they are at least average across the board, and Barco has always shown the ability to locate, with his big frame and clean delivery providing scouts great comfort as to his ability to remain a starter. He’s a low-variance/low-ceiling big college performer who some team will take as an early safety pick this summer. 
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/week-1-college-baseball-notes/

• Like 1

If he pitches well this Spring, and stays healthy, unlike the rest of the college top pitchers, I could see him as a middle to back of round 1 guy. Some team will value college pitching and take him. I am not that enamored with him for a higher pick, personally. He seems pretty raw and unrefined to me. There is talent there to unlock, though. Just not sure he’ll get to it. 

On 2/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, Frobby said:

From Kevin Goldstein:

While he dominated in his 2022 debut on Friday, the fact that it came against Liberty makes it feel like more of a warmup outing than something that can really move the needle on his early draft stock, which looks to be somewhere in the 50-100 pick range entering the year. Barco’s stuff was as expected, as he sat 91-94 mph with his fastball while touching 95, leaned heavily on his low-80s slider as his primary out pitch, and mixed in an occasional changeup. None of the pitches grade out as plus, but they are at least average across the board, and Barco has always shown the ability to locate, with his big frame and clean delivery providing scouts great comfort as to his ability to remain a starter. He’s a low-variance/low-ceiling big college performer who some team will take as an early safety pick this summer. 
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/week-1-college-baseball-notes/

On 2/26/2022 at 8:26 AM, Jammer7 said:

If he pitches well this Spring, and stays healthy, unlike the rest of the college top pitchers, I could see him as a middle to back of round 1 guy. Some team will value college pitching and take him. I am not that enamored with him for a higher pick, personally. He seems pretty raw and unrefined to me. There is talent there to unlock, though. Just not sure he’ll get to it. 

5 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Incidentally, Liberty is pretty good.  Ranked #21 nationally.

Barco was lights out in his 2nd start.  I'd definitely consider 2nd round or comp round pick...

The duality of man

15 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I can support my cause with factual information:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/d1baseballcom-top-25

I assumed as much. I was just laughing about how the statements / quotes in three successive posts were so seemingly at odds (in your case there's certainly verifiable, objective evidence to support the claim).

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

The duality of man

Let me explain. First, I admit that I have not seen him this year. I said I could see him as a second round, maybe a comp pick if he stays healthy and pitches well. When I say raw, unrefined, I mean that there is more there. Not that he is a poor prospect. Not arguing his good results thus far. I think he has more ceiling and can improve well in an organization like Tampa, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc…

Let’s see what he does in SEC play, but Liberty is no slouch. After reading (FanGraphs) Kevin Goldstein’s comments, I am higher on him than Kevin. I don’t see him high pick in round 1 right now, but hey, opinions are allowed to vary…no?