This is a very inexperienced team (but we knew that)

Frobby

As I’ve been doing the projection polls and inserting a little statistical information, I’ve really been struck by what an inexperienced team we have.   We all know that at some level, but it’s striking when you look at it in black and white.   Here’s a list of our expected position players, with career games and PA:

Odor 980/3795

Mancini 609/2532

Santander 286/1147

Mullins 274/1093

Hays 205/801

Mountcastle 179/726

Stewart 192/619

Long 110/417

Gutiettez 109/386

Mateo 111/237

McKenna 90/197

Bemboom 44/154

Nottingham 53/130

Basically we’ve got two position players on this team who’ve had 2+ seasons as a full time regular, one of whom isn’t a full time starter anymore (or shouldn’t be).

Putting on a positive spin: room for growth with more experience?  Or you can look at it as they don’t have more experience because they aren’t very good.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I’ve been doing the projection polls and inserting a little statistical information, I’ve really been struck by what an inexperienced team we have.   We all know that at some level, but it’s striking when you look at it in black and white.   Here’s a list of our expected position players, with career games and PA:

Odor 980/3795

Mancini 609/2532

Santander 286/1147

Mullins 274/1093

Hays 205/801

Mountcastle 179/726

Stewart 192/619

Long 110/417

Gutiettez 109/386

Mateo 111/237

McKenna 90/197

Bemboom 44/154

Nottingham 53/130

Basically we’ve got two position players on this team who’ve had 2+ seasons as a full time regular, one of whom isn’t a full time starter anymore (or shouldn’t be).

Putting on a positive spin: room for growth with more experience?  Or you can look at it as they don’t have more experience because they aren’t very good.  

Or they don't have more experience because it would cost more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

i don't think the best way to measure the team is by experience.  Mullins, Adley and Mountcastle have little to no MLB experience but they have ability.   There is a talent deficit.  That is the current problem for the O's vs the rest of the AL East.

Did anyone say the best way to measure the team was by experience?    But I mostly find it interesting because there’s more uncertainty about how these guys might perform since there is a learning curve and they don’t have long track records.  

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

i don't think the best way to measure the team is by experience.  Mullins, Adley and Mountcastle have little to no MLB experience but they have ability.   There is a talent deficit.  That is the current problem for the O's vs the rest of the AL East.

When your best players are inexperienced, the usual approach for teams that are trying to win ballgames is to acquire some experienced players -- not MVP candidates or even All-Stars, just established capable major leaguers -- to combine with that young talent. But apparently -- and the sample size is pretty small as far as I can tell -- a team that doesn't care about winning games complements that inexperienced talent primarily with additional inexperienced talent, saving some money in the process since even decent veterans cost a lot more than the league minimum and dodging the risk that an improved on-field product will jeopardize the team's draft position.

Yeah, I know: Jordan Lyles. Someone else will have to explain that one. I can't.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

When your best players are inexperienced, the usual approach for teams that are trying to win ballgames is to acquire some experienced players -- not MVP candidates or even All-Stars, just established capable major leaguers -- to combine with that young talent. But apparently -- and the sample size is pretty small as far as I can tell -- a team that doesn't care about winning games complements that inexperienced talent primarily with additional inexperienced talent, saving some money in the process since even decent veterans cost a lot more than the league minimum and dodging the risk that an improved on-field product will jeopardize the team's draft position.

Yeah, I know: Jordan Lyles. Someone else will have to explain that one. I can't.

I'm good with the theory it was tied to the labor dispute.

Sure is a pretty big outlier with how Elias has gone about his job.

Elias did not just sign Lyles.  He signed Lyles and moved the left field wall back 26 ft and raised it to 13ft.   The idea is to help the pitchers including Lyles.

So the guys with experience on the team are Means, Lyles and Mancini.  Veterans that can help lead the team.   Odor has 5 years of experience but I don't know how much he will help.   And Elias may not be done.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias did not just sign Lyles.  He signed Lyles and moved the left field wall back 26 ft and raised it to 13ft.   The idea is to help the pitchers including Lyles.

So the guys with experience on the team are Means, Lyles and Mancini.  Veterans that can help lead the team.   Odor has 5 years of experience but I don't know how much he will help.   And Elias may not be done.

He better not be done, still don't have any catchers.