Buying an "optionable" pitcher

ChosenOne21

MLB and MLBPA talking about limiting the number of times a player could be optioned in one year got me thinking. A player has three option years (sometimes four). Once those years are used, removing them from your roster makes them a free agent.

Would it be possible to sign an out-of-options player to a contract where, in exchange for extra pay perhaps, he agrees to resign with your team on a minor-league deal for an already agreed upon amount the first three or four times you cut him during the year? This basically has the effect of giving the team an "optionable" pitcher and might create job opportunities for and give some stability to a class of fringe Major Leaguers.

Good idea or is this just breaking the rules?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The fastball was low in ST, too. However, that contradicts he pre-ST workouts where he was apparently hitting 100.  So, definitely a concern. I think he'll probably get optioned pretty soon if the next couple appearances look similar. 
    • "Lots" - he faced 3 batters
    • Baumann was at 98/99. So it wasn’t a cold gun. Definitely concerned about Tate. 
    • And he made it look effortless.  You can tell he had plenty more in the tank when it comes to his fastball velo, but there was no need to push it yesterday.  He'll easily be able to crank it up in the big games.
    • Now we see about the KC series. But the forecast will change a couple of times 
    • I don't necessarily think he's going to just open the flood gates financially, either. I think ME is too smart to do that, even with someone else's money. I think a combination of people like Elias and Rubenstein will always seek to assemble a best-value team. In my world, that does not mean cheapest. I think a lot of people see that phase and key in too much on the "value" part and think it's synonymous with "cheap". It's not. It simply means smart and responsible spending.  We have so much young talent on this roster that nobody could keep it all. The Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, and Braves would all have to make some very tough decisions at some point with this group. I'm glad we have such a long time to evaluate this, but when I say I think we're in great hands with Rubenstein, it's because I think he will listen to what ME recommends, and empower him to do it. Whatever that turns out to be. And again, I think it's the tandem of those two guys that makes me feel so confident, because I don't think ME will ever ask ownership to spend irresponsibly. Nobody has a crystal ball and nobody will nail every single contract extension of FA signing, but I think this group is going to have a pretty high success rate.
    • Opening Day observations, - Baumann hit 98/99 on some fastballs. Maybe he just tired out last season? - Akin looked better, but lots of full counts/pitches to get outs.  - Tate didn’t do so well, but it was a good game to get him back into an MLB game. - Webb on Paternity List.  - Vespi with the surprise call up.  It’ll be interesting to see how much we up/down guys to keep fresh arms in the pen. Tate, Vespi, and Akin, are the members of our current pen with options. 
  • Popular Contributors