Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Correa isn’t worth going that high.  The Cubs are right.  That doesn’t mean you don’t pay it if you are the Orioles.

If clubs are not going 10/300, the O's have to consider that.  It's a lot, but they have to jump back into baseball at some point.  Correa is a good choice for that.

Just now, Ripken said:

If clubs are not going 10/300, the O's have to consider that.  It's a lot, but they have to jump back into baseball at some point.  Correa is a good choice for that.

It’s a stupid contract in a lot of ways.  But if you are the Orioles, who need to get back to relevancy and who have a sh*t load of cheap contracts on the horizon, you can easily do it.  

If Elias does his job right and they continue to draft and develop well, Correa could fall on his face and you should still be fine.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a stupid contract in a lot of ways.  But if you are the Orioles, who need to get back to relevancy and who have a sh*t load of cheap contracts on the horizon, you can easily do it.  

If Elias does his job right and they continue to draft and develop well, Correa could fall on his face and you should still be fine.

The Yankees are lurking 

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022/3/9/22969165/yankees-mlb-rumors-carlos-correa-rodon-yusei-kikuchi-free-agency-medicals-lockout

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

My view is, if you think a contract is stupid, you don’t do it just because you can or because you think you could get away with it if other things go right.   Spend your money intelligently.   The upside should exceed the downside, even if there’s a lot of downside.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My view is, if you think a contract is stupid, you don’t do it just because you can or because you think you could get away with it if other things go right.   Spend your money intelligently.   The upside should exceed the downside, even if there’s a lot of downside.    

Most free agent contracts are stupid.  I think it’s a good deal for 4-6 years and after that, it gets iffy.  Hopefully you win a title by that point and it all becomes worth it.

But I think you are also underestimating what it means and symbolizes.  That stuff, especially on a franchise that has basically been a laughing stock for 25 years, means something.  It means something to the team, the fans, the sport and to future free agents.

So I think the upside does exceed the downside.  But it’s still a financially dumb contract for the long haul.(talking just years and dollars and nothing else)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Most free agent contracts are stupid.  I think it’s a good deal for 4-6 years and after that, it gets iffy.  Hopefully you win a title by that point and it all becomes worth it.

But I think you are also underestimating what it means and symbolizes.  That stuff, especially on a franchise that has basically been a laughing stock for 25 years, means something.  It means something to the team, the fans, the sport and to future free agents.

So I think the upside does exceed the downside.  But it’s still a financially dumb contract for the long haul.(talking just years and dollars and nothing else)

I think the classic case for what you’re describing is Jayson Werth.   That signing certainly sent a signal to Nats fans, even if it was a very big overpay.   And, Werth did provide the team with some moxie even if his on-field contributions weren’t even close to worth his salary most years.   

Anyway, I’m not saying a big deal for Correa would be dumb.  I’d need to see the details.  I just don’t like doing deals you know are more likely to turn out bad than good.    And I think deals can be good even if the last few years are an overpay, so long as you get some surplus value during years when the team will be competitive that outweighs the deficit in the later years.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think the classic case for what you’re describing is Jayson Werth.   That signing certainly sent a signal to Nats fans, even if it was a very big overpay.   And, Werth did provide the team with some moxie even if his on-field contributions weren’t even close to worth his salary most years.   

Anyway, I’m not saying a big deal for Correa would be dumb.  I’d need to see the details.  I just don’t like doing deals you know are more likely to turn out bad than good.    And I think deals can be good even if the last few years are an overpay, so long as you get some surplus value during years when the team will be competitive that outweighs the deficit in the later years.   

Its a better deal if it's front loaded, as to not hamstring you at the tail end when $/WAR goes up (likely).  However, the 10 year part of it is bothersome.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All free agent deals are likely to be dumb.  Obviously some are easier to swallow than others.

As I have said, I would offer him 8/280 with 180 in the first 4 years and an opt out after that.  My hope would be he takes the opt out and you let him walk.

I’m one of the few that likes the opt out.

I'm not going to complain at all, but wouldn't we be better off investing those resources in pitching??  I'd like to see how things pan out with Gunner, Westburg and Mayo amongst the others for the infield spots.  A small market championship team needs a few minimum salaried all-stars to make it happen.

Correa is just not enough of an elite hitter to justify this type of deal. Halfway through it, he may not be a viable SS and it becomes even worse. I’m all for making a signal to fans that were ready to compete, but this isn’t the way. Could’ve made the same signal by signing Stroman.

Btw, how does Stroman not end up in Houston with that name. The marketing deals alone should put it over the top. 

17 minutes ago, connja said:

I'm not going to complain at all, but wouldn't we be better off investing those resources in pitching??  I'd like to see how things pan out with Gunner, Westburg and Mayo amongst the others for the infield spots.  A small market championship team needs a few minimum salaried all-stars to make it happen.

Pitching is far more risky and volatile.

The resources we should be spending on pitching is trading for it using a piece like Mullins.