Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

Correa rejected a qualifying offer from the Astros at season’s end, meaning the Twins, a revenue-sharing recipient, will forfeit their third-highest selection in this year’s draft in order to sign him. That’ll be their pick in Competitive Balance Round B, which should fall in the mid-60s. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/twins-sign-carlos-correa.html

This wouldnt work for the O's because we wouldnt want him opting out in the first two years. After year 3 would be OK in a longer deal. I wonder if he regrets turning down Detroit's supposed 10/275.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Correa (Update, signs with Twins)
1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Semantics. Could be a first rounder, could be later but still a big price for a small market team that was has to overpay wildly. 

Well,it’s a second round supplemental pick they are losing, probably around pick no. 75-80.    

• Thanks 1

The opt-outs are nice for if he ever sees a situation he wants to marry, not date.

In Central, this kind of has to suck for the TIgers, whose AJ Hinch coattails weren't what they dreamed of.   They have Javier Baez a long time though.

If the offer existed, after the World Series maybe we can just do an Edit/Replace of 10 to 9, leave the $$$ the same, and hope that the 10 best Orioles have shown enough to earn interest.    Assuming he hasn't played badly enough another $35M for 2023 looks like a safe harbor.

Next year's shortstops are Turner-Swanson, and maybe Correa-Bogaerts opting out, should none of the current infield prospects develop towards being a credible first or second division shortstop starter.

And then if you put $35M on pitching instead of SS, in this year's market you could have had say Gausman and Greinke instead of Correa, setting aside Contract Term.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:59 AM, Sports Guy said:

Who said he was signing for 6/236?

Im very confident that no one was offering him 40M a year.

Atlanta's ESPN radio station reported that was what LA and Freeman agreed to - on the same day the Braves traded for Olson.  Like I said, his agent probably had something to do with that report.      

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you kidding ….it would be no different than paying a football player a signing bonus.

As @Can_of_cornpointed out, MLB contracts are 100% guaranteed, even if the guy turns into a pumpkin in year 3 of 10.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, that’s actually pretty cool. I’ll check out more about him. 

:gallden:

2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

😂😂😂😂 Zero chance of anything close to that. Zero. Not until a new owner arrives. 

The present ownership group was spending that kind of money only 4 or 5 years ago and Elias has consistently said that the money would be there when our competitive window opens. I know it's fun to be all doom and gloom after the last few years, but I see no reason to think that won't be the case.

4 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't offer that deal either, since he's almost certainly going to opt out after a year and we're still at least that far away from being interesting. With no opt outs, I would have done it in a heartbeat though

Likewise, my main issue with the idea of signing Correa was always the years. 

I feel like the 2nd/3rd year options are perhaps just part of the pillow Boras has orchestrated.

The Twins have Royce Lewis in the Heston Kjerstad spot - he hasn't played baseball in two years.   Who knows what's left?

Major tinfoil hat - I could imagine a long-term Orioles offer ala Padres Machado nudging Boras towards this fork in the road.    Show us what you've got, Baltimore.    And Boras has his client extra security in case his back isn't feeling sexy, or he has a bad massage or anything.    Two offseasons from now he'll still be Trevor Story-aged.

Unless Royce re-emerges or Buxton truly has found a new level, I don't really see a team Correa would want to marry for the whole rest of his prime, and don't think in the long run the Twins will furnish the $$$ Elias (never mind MLB's true blue bloods) might give.    We'll see.     Dylan Bundy is probably pretty pumped this morning.

As ever, if Rutschman-Rodriguez, etc are no good, it's all moot anyway, and if they are I continue to believe we'll spend marginal payroll millions 50-125 (150?) on something someday for the peak Adley teams.   

Today I am going to guess Correa's 2023 likeliest employer is the Los Angeles Dodgers - not the right fit now as they don't want to cannibalize Trea Turner, but Friedman and Boras both know Correa's the better long-term guy, just like Mookie's better than Machado.   Boras may need an extra seat in the Dodger Stadium front row to bring Correa with Soto this fall.