Carter Baumler 2022-23

Tony-OH

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it’s not remotely true that he dominated every level.  His MiL ERA is barely below 4 And his BB rate was mediocre.  

Hw has good stuff but inconsistent secondaries pitches and iffy command.  

He has had a reliever profile for a while but he does have starter upside.

It depends on how you want to evaluate it but if i go Tony’s way of doing it, which is how I would do it and do the “who would I rather have” thing, I’m taking the upside of Baumler.

It’s really hard to compare them.   Baumler’s barely gotten his feet wet.  But you have to like what we’ve seen.   Would be great if he pitched well enough to get up to Aberdeen in a month or so. 

I'd just like to point out that 20 year old Dominican, Juan Delosantos finished for Baumler.  6 IP 4 hits, 0 walks, 10 strikeouts.   

Elias has used very few top picks on pitchers.  Baumler is off to a nice start.  Carlos Tavera went 6 1-hit shutout innings tonight with 8 strikeouts.  We have the Latin guys in Delosantos, Chace, and Rangel. Also Ignacio Feliz and Jean Pinto.  We have FA pitchers Noah Denoyer and Ryan Watson.  Justin Armbruster. 

A lot of these guys are future relievers and future flameouts but there is strength in numbers and I think the numbers are not as dire as people think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wonder how long they plan to limit him to three innings.  So far in three outings: 9 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 4 BB, 15 K’s.   

Pretty impressive. It seems like his late arrival had more to do with the Orioles organization babying their pitchers than it did with him not being ready for Low-A. Wonder how old he'll be before the Orioles let him pitch 100 innings in a season?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Pretty impressive. It seems like his late arrival had more to do with the Orioles organization babying their pitchers than it did with him not being ready for Low-A. Wonder how old he'll be before the Orioles let him pitch 100 innings in a season?

Hall is 23.  His high was in 2018.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

2019 - season ended 8/8 due to inhury

2020 - no MiL season

2021 - season ended 6/12 due to injury

What were they supposed to do?

Yeah, his injuries have caused him to miss a lot of time, but the organization has still been very, very cautious with his pitch counts and innings. Not saying they are wrong, but they really need to stretch him out to 100 pitches soon.

As for Baumler, slow start and now 3 innings at a time seems like an overly cautious approach IMHO. 

Baumler finally had a hiccup tonight, 2.2 IP, 3 R, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K’s.   The three walks all came in the third inning with nobody out.   Baumler struck out the next hitter and then Blaze Jordan (remember him?) got an RBI groundout.  That was the end of Baumler’s night.  Another run scored with runners on 1st and 3rd when Willems threw out a runner stealing 2B but the other runner beat a return throw home.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 10:23 PM, Tony-OH said:

As Paul McCartney said " Will you still need me when I'm 64, Will you still be under 109 innings when your 64"?

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Good news, bad news on Baumler 2023.  I messaged Eric Garfield on his instagrams (Eric_Birdland22) and asked about Baumler.

He said he’s seen him plenty this spring. Had a cyst removed, appears much bigger in the shoulders and back, and is ramping up for a return in June.  I don’t know if the cyst was related to the shoulder issue that ended his season but it seems like it could be.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, glad to hear he’s alive, but sorry to hear his debut will be delayed.  

Baumler was a pure lottery ticket who was a product of that weird 2020 five round draft. There's talent but all he's really done is show Elias why it's so risky giving young pitcher big bonuses. Unfortunately the young man can't stay healthy.

At this point, anything he does professionally will be a bonus.