Kjerstad looking good in his first spring training (Update: Out 8-12 weeks Hamstring injury)

Tony-OH

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's also not a great sign that a 23 year old is pulling his hamstring. With all the stretching they do, a young guy should really not be pulling muscles. Ashamed really. He's a guy that really needed a full healthy year.

He also spent what a year, year and a half, being inactive.

Maybe that was a factor?

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He also spent what a year, year and a half, being inactive.

Maybe that was a factor?

He's had a lot of time of playing, running and getting up to 100% since so I'm not sure that was factor, but who knows? Let's just hope the extra tests are precautionary.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's also not a great sign that a 23 year old is pulling his hamstring. With all the stretching they do, a young guy should really not be pulling muscles. Ashamed really. He's a guy that really needed a full healthy year.

I share some of this frustration.   It's relatable for me just because when I was 30-something I pulled my hamstring pretty good on the first Home-to-First run attempt of an office softball season.   Its no surprise this would happen to a desk dweller, stupidly trying to beat out a groundball, never mind the launch angle fail of not getting the ball in the air.  

I hope 20-something Orioles will generally very much not have "body unprepared for acute load" things that happened to me happen.

I would hope the trainers were super on top of safe game speed ramp-up given the two years of inactivity, and imagine they were as they couldn't talk to anyone on the 40.   But I'm sure the adrenaline and excitement of games with all the guys...stuff happens.   A fungo into the left-field corner or gap probably isn't the same as one off Rutschman's bat.

I hope in 2022 even if he starts Memorial Day he'll get far enough he can go to Arizona and see live pitching all October if he needs the time to get up to 400-500 PA.    Sarasota healing worked pretty well for Coby Mayo last year.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Strained hamstring injuries can linger for a long time too. I don’t want to write Kjerstad off, but I consider any contributions from him a bonus now. 

I don't want to get overly negative but the odds are continuing to stack against the young fellow.

It sucks as an Orioles fan, but I feel bad for this young man. He really can't catch a break. 

No one could have seen this coming when they drafted him. The myocarditis and now a serious hamstring injury has really put him behind. 

But let's remember, we have Mayo and Baumler because of the Kjerstad drafting. If Mayo becomes who he looks to be, no one will care if Kjerstad doesn't live up to his draft placement.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

But let's remember, we have Mayo and Baumler because of the Kjerstad drafting. If Mayo becomes who he looks to be, no one will care if Kjerstad doesn't live up to his draft placement.

I think you underestimate our ability to criticize anything Orioles.

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't want to get overly negative but the odds are continuing to stack against the young fellow.

Kjerstad is 23 years old and will get the opportunity to develop, but the odds are getting longer. Elias has beefed up the farm system, so even if Kjerstad washes out there will be other prospects who will step up in his place. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Kjerstad is 23 years old and will get the opportunity to develop, but the odds are getting longer. Elias has beefed up the farm system, so even if Kjerstad washes out there will be other prospects who will step up in his place. 

Oh yeah, there's still time. Of course everything you hear in spring training, especially early on should be taken with a grain of salt, but he was looking pretty good. The good thing is, he doesn't seem to be someone that'll give up.

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Oh yeah, there's still time. Of course everything you hear in spring training, especially early on should be taken with a grain of salt, but he was looking pretty good. The good thing is, he doesn't seem to be someone that'll give up.

I read a decade of excuses on Hobgood too. Most thought Tyler Maztek was best pick, he’s not a superstar but likely was the pick and helps anchor the World Champion Braves bullpen (was traded). Sometimes the composite of experts is better than 1 guy thinking he is smarter than everyone else.  Elias is way better than Joe Jordan but you take the best player when you are rebuilding and haven’t won in nearly 40 years, hard stop.