O's reportedly offer Tex $20 million/yr, 9 years

Hooded Viper

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just remember guys, it's not your money that would be paying Teix's salary, well, some of it is, but I imagine quite a bit of it might be kicked in by a certain Mr. Angelos.
Really? When the Orioles sign players I don't have to take that money out of my own pocket? :rolleyestf:

The "its not my money" argument is the worst argument in the world, and its applied everywhere.

Clearly, all of us know that we don't personally have to pay for the people the Orioles sign. When posters say they don't want this guy for that amount of money, they are basing that on what the projected total budget for the team is going to be. Its not the poster's money, obviously, but we have a pretty good idea of what the team can afford and is willing to spend, and that is the basis for how much we should be willing to spend on a particular player.

Nobody is going to argue if the Orioles somehow become able to spend more. If their revenues go to the point where a $150M payroll is sustainable as opposed to a $100M payroll, there won't be any arguments about that being a bad thing from anybody on here. But there will be arguments about how is the best way to spend that $150M, just like there are valid arguments questioning what is the smartest way to spend the money given our current payroll limitations.

Guest rochester
I am going to puke if we spend that much money for that many years on any player. Please let the Nats beat us in the race to shoot ourselves in the foot! :pray:

What if it was BRob???:D

It'd not so much the amount of money per year, as it is the length of the contract. I wouldn't be much opposed to a 6-7 year commitment at $20 million a year for him. But 10 years is stretching it a lot. He'll be 29 at basically the start of 2K9's campaign. He'll be nearly 40 at the end of the 10 year contract. Could he sustain the numbers he's been putting up? Manny is able to, but I'm not in a rush to label Tex as the next Manny Ramirez in terms of lasting power...

I think that such a long term deal will hurt in the last couple years of his contract. Yes, maybe we will be saying to get old man Tex outta here. But.....I think it would be worth him being old for two to three years if he helps makes the Orioles AT LEAST competitive for the rest of his time here.

If the numbers are accurate, hopefully some team will bail the O's out from making a huge mistake... An argument can be made that he'll be worth $20m a year. An compelling argument cannot be made that 9 or 10 years of that makes sense for the Orioles.

6 of them will... lets wait and start complaining about it in 2014. :)

If the numbers are accurate, hopefully some team will bail the O's out from making a huge mistake... An argument can be made that he'll be worth $20m a year. An compelling argument cannot be made that 9 or 10 years of that makes sense for the Orioles.

Obviously, the gamble is pretty simple: the O's see Tex as the key to competing in the mid-life of that contract. Which, because it's been so long since we've competed, makes the premium we pay for late-contract decline okay. (In their eyes, not mine, necessarily.)

I can understand it, I guess. It's certainly an "all-in" approach.

As SG said, I wouldn't do it. But I'm palpably excited at the possibility of having him manning 1B for us.

Really? When the Orioles sign players I don't have to take that money out of my own pocket? :rolleyestf:

The "its not my money" argument is the worst argument in the world, and its applied everywhere.

Clearly, all of us know that we don't personally have to pay for the people the Orioles sign. When posters say they don't want this guy for that amount of money, they are basing that on what the projected total budget for the team is going to be. Its not the poster's money, obviously, but we have a pretty good idea of what the team can afford and is willing to spend, and that is the basis for how much we should be willing to spend on a particular player.

Nobody is going to argue if the Orioles somehow become able to spend more. If their revenues go to the point where a $150M payroll is sustainable as opposed to a $100M payroll, there won't be any arguments about that being a bad thing from anybody on here. But there will be arguments about how is the best way to spend that $150M, just like there are valid arguments questioning what is the smartest way to spend the money given our current payroll limitations.

I think you are about 90% correct here. However, the biggest point really goes untouched: that no one here, short of MAYBE bigbird and Belkast and some of the others with a connection, really has an idea about how big of a budget the Orioles are willing to allow.

That seems like a blinding flash of the obvious, but it is important to remember when we start thinking that there is no way we could afford these kind of contracts.

We can discuss it all we want, and make some pretty-good educated guesses, and even sometimes post crazy rants on the subject. But, at the end of the day things can still change our views.

Like us offering Teixeira $180 million with the chance to go higher :laughlol:

Obviously, the gamble is pretty simple: the O's see Tex as the key to competing in the mid-life of that contract. Which, because it's been so long since we've competed, makes the premium we pay for late-contract decline okay. (In their eyes, not mine, necessarily.)

As SG said, I wouldn't do it. But I'm palpably excited at the possibility of having him manning 1B for us.

Yeah, I think this is the rationale. It's a defensible one under the condition that Angelos has assured MacPhail that he will be willing and able to allocate enough resources that a disproportionate amount of the payroll will not be tied up in Tex. That way, in the midlife of his contract, we will be able to add whatever pieces are needed to be successful. Also, we need to be sure that if his production slips we won't have 20 percent or more of our payroll tied up in him keeping us from finding other ways to stay competitive.

Of course...who knows how long Peter Angelos will being the owner of the Orioles, or how long MacPhail will be our GM for that matter.

I think 9-10 years is too much. I think I've gone on record saying that 8/160 is my limit. But we do know that MacPhail is quite risk averse. If we are truly making this offer it either means that Angelos has overruled MacPhail or that he has convinced MacPhail that this contract will not be an albatross. I sincerely hope it's the latter.

The contract is long enough that the mid-life could be well into the decline. If he signs, maybe it'll pay off... But for me, this type of gamble is like playing blackjack, sitting on 17 and hitting. Maybe it pays off but the risk/reward odds are stacked against you, big time.

I wouldn't do it either but I agree that it will be exciting for the first few years... Although I must say that I will not enjoy the yearly countdown until the contract is off the books that we'd almost certainly be dealing with in about 5-6 years.

To add to that, I'm so excited about the possibility of having Teixeira on the Orioles roster that my head is spinning.

I'm also pretty sure that close to a decade from now I'll be cursing his contract if he is still on the roster.

But, if we win a world series or are at least consistently competitive for a good chuck of the time in between I think it will have been worth it.

The contract is long enough that the mid-life could be well into the decline. If he signs, maybe it'll pay off... But for me, this type of gamble is like playing blackjack, sitting on 17 and hitting. Maybe it pays off but the risk/reward odds are stacked against you, big time.

I wouldn't do it either but I agree that it will be exciting for the first few years... Although I must say that I will not enjoy the yearly countdown until the contract is off the books that we'd almost certainly be dealing with in about 5-6 years.

In 5 or 6 years that contract will look like a deal. The economy won't be like this forever.

Archived