Anniversary of Len Bias' last game

Tony-OH

Today is the anniversary of Len Bias' last game ever. He went for 31 points in a loss against UNLV in the NCAA tournament. He would go on to be drafted 2nd overall by the Boston Celtics and then as we all know, tragically died of a heart attack brought on by his cocaine usage at his celebratory draft party.

Now maybe to those of you who did not grow up in the Maryland area in the 80s, this was a sad story, But for many of us who did grow up here, this was a moment similar to when Kennedy was shot or when they found out Elvis has died.

I've probably told this story before but I think it bears repeating a bit. As a teenager growing up in Pasadena, I like many others was a diehard Maryland Terps Basketball 9and football) fan. Lenny Bias was something very different from our other Terp heroes, he was like a living legend who played right in front of us. Even as a short white kid who was focused on baseball, Bias was probably my favorite athlete, even above Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken.

If you watch the documentary I shared below, you can see all of the amazing things he did on the court and how he affected so many, including former Michael Jordan teammate Horace Grant who referred to Bias as the “baddest MFer he’d ever seen!”

His mother, and amazingly strong lady who has fought for many things to help others to not have to go through losing a son (she lost two to drugs and violence), once said that Lenny did more with his death then what he might have accomplished in the future that never came for him.

I can personally attest to how his death affected me. As a 16-year old in Pasadena, MD, I was quickly getting into the high school party scene which mostly revolved around drinking beer, but there was availability of other drugs starting to show up and be available to “try”.

I didn’t smoke so weed didn’t interest me, but guys I worked with started experimenting with acid and I knew some others who had cocaine. Every time I thought about potentially trying something, I’d remember, “If it can kill Len Bias, it can certainly kill me!”

I never did those drugs and that pretty clean background enabled me to get a clearance in the Army as an 18-year old, and led me to my successful career now.

It’s hard to watch this documentary, particularly if you grew up idolizing him, but for those who may just know the name, this documentary does a great job of celebrating him for his induction into the College all of fame (way too late but that’s another story).

Even in tragedy, good can come from the event. I will always remember Len Bias as one of the people who helped shape who I became, and as the Legend he will always be to all of us that were fortunate to have watched him play.

I remember that UNLV game and where I was when I watched it (The Hokie House bar/restaurant in Blacksburg, on their big screen projection TV).   He was fantastic in a losing effort.

I was still interested in the NBA back then and would have loved to have seen what kind of career he could have had.   

• 1 year later...

Just reading this thread now. Thanks for posting your memories and recollection Tony. Very similar themes for me. People who never saw him play usually don't comprehend how dominant he was. He was a beast. He could do it all. Score, rebound, pass, block shots. I have no doubt that he would have been top 5 NBA players all time.

And you mentioned the JFK assassination. People from that era say that they remember clearly where they were when they heard that Kennedy had been shot. I remember clearly where I was when I heard Bias had died. A buddy and I were listening to the radio in the Diamond Ridge GC after playing 18 holes. We listened silently, and pretty much didn't say a word to each other on the drive back to Edmondson Heights. 

It's been almost 40 years, and it still hurts.