Nobody Can Convince Me That the Orioles Infield is not Dramatically Better..

Eli Eon

Im still unclear as to what you are right about. Is it that you think that Hernandez is more valuable than Tejada? Or that Hernandez is a better SS/makes the team better than Tejada?

Regardless, either of them are wrong.

What I am right about is the Orioles are a better team without Tejada's glove at short. They can use his bat but I think he needs to be removed from short. He is the weakest link in the infield at the most key position (other than catcher). The team defense and pitching has been much better since he's been out. That is no coincidence and it is not all Dave Trembley, abeit he has done a great job.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. I mean, just wow. Luis Hernandez, the random minor league filler, the guy we picked up for 75 cents, he of the .574 OPS in AA, the same guy who only got promoted because of multiple injuries and a complete lack of organizational depth... this guy is so spectacularly awesome that not only does he make a former AL MVP disposable, but he's turned a very good defensive player in Brian Roberts into the second coming of Eddie Collins. Or maybe Nap Lajoie. Just wow.

How long until we put his number out in the courtyard behind center field? Do we dare wait until next week? Or by then will his powers have become so Godlike that he'll strike us all down for our tardiness?

I think you are being blinded by your apparent allergy to Luis Hernandez. Please try to read posts before you ridicule them. I didn't say anything about Tejada being "disposable." I did not say Hernandez turned Brian Roberts into Eddie Collins. I did say and I will say again that Roberts has been playing harder and better in the field lately. All I'm saying is that I enjoy watching Hernandez play the field and I'd like to see him kept around rather than Bynum and get an occasional start because Tejada needs rest anyway in order to make him a better player. If he goes into a prolonged slump at the plate like we all expect, he'll go back to the minors, but why not ride the hot hand for however long it lasts? It's not like we've been having great results with the guys our scouts have assessed to be great talents. We have a number of guys on our roster who don't legitimately contribute anything of value to a major league team. Great defense may not be a lot, but it is something.

Hyperbole, MikeAD is thy name!

I hate using internet acronyms but ROFLMAO!!!!! You think we can just bring any player up from AA (where they werent even hitting well!) and watch them blossom into hall of famers, just because they had some time to develop in the majors? Then why the hell do we not have a bunch of guys like that already? Jay Gibbons has been here for so long he oughtta be a 50 HR kinda guy!

I'm starting to wonder if I'm being made a fool taking this post as serious. Yeesh.

Once again, it wasn't serious in the least. If that logic was true however, Val Majewski would have won the home run derby this year and Shuey would have a sub .100 ERA.

What I am right about is the Orioles are a better team without Tejada's glove at short. They can use his bat but I think he needs to be removed from short.

You are NOT right about this. This is what we, in the real world, call an "opinion."

Why is such? Because there are other factors involved. One of which is that the ENTIRE FREAKIN' TEAM IS PLAYING DIFFERENTLY UNDER TREMBLEY. We can't gauge how Tejada would be playing, because he got all of cup of coffee under him until he got hurt.

You've just soured on Tejada and are looking for any reason to ship him.

Once again, it wasn't serious in the least. If that logic was true however, Val Majewski would have won the home run derby this year and Shuey would have a sub .100 ERA.

If it was true, baseball would be damn interesting. Every team would have a bunch of elite hitters who couldn't hit because they were facing elite pitchers. And the Marlins would have never won a WS ;)

What I am right about is the Orioles are a better team without Tejada's glove at short. They can use his bat but I think he needs to be removed from short. He is the weakest link in the infield at the most key position (other than catcher). The team defense and pitching has been much better since he's been out. That is no coincidence and it is not all Dave Trembley, abeit he has done a great job.

So Fahey/Hernandez going 1 for 4 every night is better than Miggy making nearly every play AS AN ABOVE AVERAGE FIELDER, and driving in a run or two, with a double, a single and a walk?

That is purely insane.

We had this same stupid thread last year, only it was "Gomez should be our starting SS"

Ridiculous.

Read my post. Moving Tejada from short sends a message to interested teams that we don't trust his glove at short. That hurts his trade value a lot more than him providing slightly-worse defense than the AA replacement player who doesn't belong in the majors to begin with.

Read my post. Moving Tejada from short sends a message to interested teams that we don't trust his glove at short. That hurts his trade value a lot more than him providing slightly-worse defense than the AA replacement player who doesn't belong in the majors to begin with.

Not only that but a mid year position switch (or even off season switch) could cause him to be a temporarily worse hitter/fielder.

Moving a career shortstop to another position for any reason (if you even want to call a AAAA player a reason) other than aquiring Arod, Jeter etc. is beyond stupid.

So Fahey/Hernandez going 1 for 4 every night is better than Miggy making nearly every play AS AN ABOVE AVERAGE FIELDER, and driving in a run or two, with a double, a single and a walk?

That is purely insane.

We had this same stupid thread last year, only it was "Gomez should be our starting SS"

Ridiculous.

We also had a number of threads about how Fahey was really helping the team by playing the outfield.

It just goes to show that no matter how crazy the premise there will be someone who takes up the cause.

Scouts aren't stupid. They already know the Tejada's defense is suspect as he had been replaced by three different guys who all look better out there. His value is already diminished. Moving him won't matter at all, other than help this team win more games.

Scouts aren't stupid. They already know the Tejada's defense is suspect as he had been replaced by three different guys who all look better out there. His value is already diminished. Moving him won't matter at all, other than help this team win more games.

What the HELL are you talking about? Replaced?

HE'S EFFIN INJURED!

That is purely insane.

Ridiculous.

Tejada can play every day just not at shortstop where he reduces the defense on the team below what it should be. Certainly is ridiculous not to do it.:eek:

You are NOT right about this. This is what we, in the real world, call an "opinion."

Why is such? Because there are other factors involved. One of which is that the ENTIRE FREAKIN' TEAM IS PLAYING DIFFERENTLY UNDER TREMBLEY. We can't gauge how Tejada would be playing, because he got all of cup of coffee under him until he got hurt.

You've just soured on Tejada and are looking for any reason to ship him.

I am soured on Tejada's defense but certainly not his bat. I still want him in the lineup but away from shortstop where he diminishes the entire infield defense from what it should be which is superb.

I am soured on Tejada's defense but certainly not his bat. I still want him in the lineup but away from shortstop where he diminishes the entire infield defense from what it should be which is superb.

Have you ever paid attention to what happens, historically, to pretty much every player offensively when they are trying to acclimate to a new position defensively?

Have you ever paid attention to what happens, historically, to pretty much every player offensively when they are trying to acclimate to a new position defensively?

We've told him this so many times, Wedge. Apparently you and I didn't know that Tejada can play Third/Catcher and even Manage at will...well actually hes not as good of a manager as Fahey would be.

Archived