Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Comparing Cuellar and Bedard is complex.  Cuellar was durable and a veteran when we acquired him.  Bedard was a younger pitcher and somewhat injury prone.  Cuellar, like all Oriole pitchers of his era, benefitted hugely from the amazing defense behind him.  In his Oriole career, his ERA+ was 109, compared to Bedard’s 118 in far fewer innings.  

Cuellar had good stuff but he was also very crafty.  He threw both a curve and a screwball, and was really good and changing speeds and also his delivery.  Hitters who faced him were very off balance and never knew what was coming.  

Bedard had one of the sharpest-breaking curve balls I’ve ever seen, and he commanded it very well.  He also developed a very nice cutter.  

So who had better stuff?  To me it was Bedard, but there’s more to pitching than just stuff.  They were both excellent in their own ways pitching in very different eras with very different teammates.   

A more interesting LHP  stuff comparison might be Cuellar vs. McNally or Flanagan vs. McGregor.   Those pairs are directly comparable because they played in the same eras with the same teams, more or less.   McNally was always my favorite over Cuellar, not because he was better but because he’d been with the team longer.   They were kind of similar pitchers, with Cuellar relying more on deception and McNally more on command.  Gun to my head, I’ll say Cuellar had better stuff.  Flanny vs. McGregor, I’d definitely go with Flanny’s stuff, though both were very effective.  

Yeah, I guess I was just being a contrarian.  Bedard's one-two of fastball/curveball was one of the best I've seen.   Cuellar had that screwball but Bedard probably had better pure stuff.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

That was good, but not in the class of Bedard’s or Means’ games, because Cabrera only struck out 5 in that game.  

No question about that. I think that start was on par with Bradish's though, even though Bradish had a higher game score, Cabrera's defense let him down in that game big time.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice outing from Bradish in his season finale.  Walked 5 guys but only allowed 3 hits and one unearned run.  

His final line: 23 GS, 117.2 IP, 119 H, 68 R, 64 ER, 17 HR, 46 BB, 111 K’s, 4.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 2.4 K/BB.

After returning from the IL: 13 GS, 71.1 IP,  55 H, 29 R, 26 ER, 6 HR, 28 BB, 65 K’s, 3.28 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 8.2 K/9, 2.3 K/BB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If you had told me before season Bradish would pitch 112ip @ 5.11 era with a 1.39 whip I think I’d of said sign me up.  Obviously a lot of room for improvement but a pretty solid rookie campaign to build on.  

Well remember, that’s in a down run environment, so overall it’s not that good.

That said, I don’t really care about the overall ERA (and never care about WHIP).  For a young guy in his first year, you want to see progress and improvement as the year goes on.  He did that. That’s what matters.

Edited by Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well remember, that’s in a down run environment, so overall it’s not that good.

That said, I don’t really care about the overall ERA (and never care about WHIP).  For a young guy in his first year, you want to see progress and improvement as the year goes on.  He did that. That’s what matters.

Out of curiosity, why don’t your like whip?

I agree, most important thing is that he improved throughout the year and he absolutely did that.  He rebounded strongly after being flat out  embarrassed early on.  

19 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If you had told me before season Bradish would pitch 112ip @ 5.11 era with a 1.39 whip I think I’d of said sign me up.  Obviously a lot of room for improvement but a pretty solid rookie campaign to build on.  

Actually, it’s 117.2 IP at a 4.90 ERA.   Your stats didn’t count the final game.   And, 3.28 over 13 starts upon returning from the IL.   

The main thing I’m hoping to see from Brsdish next year is the ability to get deep into games more often.  He began to do that off and on towards the end of the season, going 7+ on starts 16, 17, 19 and 21.   But otherwise, he never made it through 6 IP all year.   I’d like to see him going 6+ at least 1/3 of the time next year.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Out of curiosity, why don’t your like whip?

I agree, most important thing is that he improved throughout the year and he absolutely did that.  He rebounded strongly after being flat out  embarrassed early on.  

Because WHiP is a stat that is partially based in hits and hits allowed aren’t always a great indicator because the pitcher doesn’t control what the players behind him do.

If you have a poor defense behind you and they aren’t getting to the ball, that sucks for the pitcher.  Of course the opposite is true too.

I prefer to look at what the pitcher can control.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because WHiP is a stat that is partially based in hits and hits allowed aren’t always a great indicator because the pitcher doesn’t control what the players behind him do.

If you have a poor defense behind you and they aren’t getting to the ball, that sucks for the pitcher.  Of course the opposite is true too.

Very good point.   Look at Jim Palmer.   He had a pretty low K/9 rate for his career(5.0), but had such an amazing defense behind him, his WHIP was 1.18.     

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I like WHIP, it just can’t be looked at in isolation.  You need to look at something like xBA or xwOBA as well, compared to BA or wOBA, to see if there’s been some luck involved.   Of course, either wOBA or xwOBA by itself is probably better than WHIP anyway.   What I like about WHIP is you can calculate it yourself.