Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

It's easy to get ahead of ourselves as we are only three games and 17 IP into his big league career, but the most encouraging thing (outside that K:B ratio) is that the solid numbers and the eye test match up to tell a very similar story which leads me to believe it's more than just a mirage. Of course, he'll have some bad games and it's not going to be all sunshine and roses, but what we've seen so far this year (both in the majors and minors) is very encouraging to the idea that he will be able to stick in the rotation and be a solid contributor. If both he and Zimmermann can be solid rotation pieces as early indications this season seem to suggest, that goes a long way in helping shape the rotation. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When you see Bradish and the upside of the other arms, it really feels like Elias fleeced the Angels.  

Bradish has been solid  but I wouldn't say fleeced.  You have to give up something to get something.  With Trout on the roster and that huge payroll the Angels have been in win now mode.

As much as folks here at the OH like to dismiss Bundy and Gausman they had value.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

When you see Bradish and the upside of the other arms, it really feels like Elias fleeced the Angels.  

Are you talking about Brnovich, Stallings or Peek? I haven't really heard much about any of them this year but yes Elias deserves kudos for getting Bradish back for Bundy.

Just now, jabba72 said:

Are you talking about Brnovich, Stallings or Peek? I haven't really heard much about any of them this year but yes Elias deserves kudos for getting Bradish back for Bundy.

Brnovich and Peek have a solid reliever profile imo.  Good arms.

Jean Pinto as well.  So that was 6 pitchers obtained for Bundy and Iglesias.  If you get 1 solid starter and 2 solid relievers out of that, that's a decent return.  I think Brnovich could be a back end starter depending on development, but I believe he's hurt at the moment and there was fear of TJ surgery.

30 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Brnovich and Peek have a solid reliever profile imo.  Good arms.

Stallings is having a good year in AA currently.

2-2 in 5 GS (24.0 IP), 2.63 ERA, 23 K, 0.75 WHIP so far

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sometimes I wonder if all Orioles fans are bi-polar, or is it just members of this forum?

I sat behind home plate and watched Bradish pitch his first major league game, do an outstanding job, and provide the Orioles with (what has historically been) a very rare quality start. 

Some reasonable appreciation shown, and some excitement from the OH.

The next game, he throws 3 outstanding innings and has problems in the fourth. In his interview, he explained his mistake: He stayed in the dugout and rooted for his team...then went out to pitch with a cold arm. Yes, he should have been in the tunnel throwing and keeping loose for that long inning, but he didn't. He watched the O's offense score like a fan would.

The reaction to that on this thread bounced between him being an idiot and not "having much upstairs" to "shitting his pants."  Such ridiculous commentary from people who really should know better was surprising.

Last night he throws 7 innings, has 11 k's, with 2 earned runs (off a bizarre "home run") with ZERO walks against a great hitting Cardinal team. An absolutely amazing 3rd start.

I guess he is okay now.

In all honesty, some of this is understandable, particularly for people who just look at stats (without context) and regurgitate the same drivel that some scout wrote 4 years ago or a comment by some twenty year old with a website.

Ultimately, it's all good. People have underestimated Bradish since high school.

He continues to prove the "experts" wrong.

Back to lurking.

You directly quoted an expletive, can you source it for me?  I don't recall anyone saying anything of the sort. 

I think you are in general overstating the response to his second start, this is a message board, that is kinda how they operate. 

I'd also just like to add that the Cardinals offense is pretty middle of the pack, 14th in runs scored and 16th in OPS, I think it's a stretch to call them a "great hitting team"(if you were being literal 10th in BA at .238).

The inning where he gave up the weird inside the park two-run home run  and then came back and struck out the side was a game changer for him. That was a situation where he easily could have let his emotions get out of whack, but he controlled them, bared down, and struck out the side.

Now that was impressive. Bradish is the first starting pitcher to be developed by the Orioles staff that has come up to the big leagues and really had success.

Let's remember, when Bradish showed up, he was a fastball curveball guy mostly. the curveball was very good but at times it rolled like curveballs tended to do and he struggled with his command of the high fastball. 

The addition of the hard breaking slider is the game changer for him pitch wise. That 86 MPH slider that dives down has taken over for his curveball as his main offspeed pitch as I noted at the end of the year last year when he had success. 

I wasn't sure if that main two pitch mix would work through 100 pitches so I wasn't sure if he can stick as a starter, but last night he showed it can certainly work when he's commanding them. He also showed ability to maintain his velocity for the most part.

At the end of the day, I've been saying we are in wait and see mode when it comes to developing pitching because we just haven't seen much come out of the minors and be difference makers. Bradish is the first one and the results so far are very encouraging. 

Now saying that, that fastball is very, very straight and doesn't have the ride you would hope it has for such an overhead delivery. The curveball has good movement still but he doesn't get a lot of WHIFF on the pitch and the changeup, while it has good movement, he doesn't command it well. 

I think long term, unless that slider becomes a special, special pitch, he may need that changeup to come around for long term success as a starter.

Gotta like what we saw from the mental game and the stuff (slider was special). But let's see what happens if the league sees him a few times and try to stay away from that slider. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sometimes I wonder if all Orioles fans are bi-polar, or is it just members of this forum?

While you have a point that opinions swing wildly around here from game to game, you’re also painting every fan here with the same broad brush. Actually, you’re lumping in Oriole fans who aren’t even on this site. Internet message boards aren’t a good source for consistent & measured objectivity. You won’t find that here (or anywhere with fans who care). 

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish is the first starting pitcher to be developed by the Orioles staff that has come up to the big leagues and really had success.

Zimmermann? Took his lumps last year but was more reliable than any of Akin, Kremer, Lowther, or Alex Wells. Enough for him to be the de facto #3 heading into ST. And this year he took another leap. In fact he's been so good that he's looked like a poor man's John Means and we haven't even really missed Means as of yet. The development of his changeup, like you mention here with Bradish's slider, is the game changer. And he just looks extremely confident. 

Watkins I don't think fits into this category since he's just a minor league signing guy and he's almost 30. But you have to like his improved slider action and fastball velocity. 

Akin flamed out as a starter in his big trial last year, but like Zimm he's improved across the board. It makes you wonder about Kremer when he gets healthy. Can he show improvement, too? 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

While you have a point that opinions swing wildly around here from game to game, you’re also painting every fan here with the same broad brush. Actually, you’re lumping in Oriole fans who aren’t even on this site. Internet message boards aren’t a good source for consistent & measured objectivity. You won’t find that here (or anywhere with fans who care). 

Who was even negative in this thread other than emmett in response to Bradish's post game interview? Weird post by Lurker. I'm guessing that's Kyle's friend or family member. Reminds me of the player's mom who used to post here and berate anyone who was remotely negative about him (pitcher who flamed out with the Angels, forget this name).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Finisher said:

Who was even negative in this thread other than emmett in response to Bradish's post game interview? Weird post by Lurker. I'm guessing that's Kyle's friend or family member. Reminds me of the player's mom who used to post here and berate anyone who was remotely negative about him (pitcher who flamed out with the Angels, forget this name).

Don't forget Matt's Uncle.

Although he didn't post very often.