Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

15 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

A few random thoughts on Bradish:

1.  He has faced some top-shelf opponents.  19 total GS

Kyle Bradish 2022 Pitching Game Logs | Baseball-Reference.com

Cubs, Cincy, and Texas - 3 starts

Playoff contenders (plus Boston) - 16 starts.

2.  Progressive improvement as the season has moved along.

3.  Not good OPACY numbers, but many of his home starts were early in the season.  

4.  Bradish's changeup was featured on Pitcherlist's "10 Nastiest Pitches from Sunday".  We know his slider plays, but what else?

The 10 Nastiest Pitches From Sunday - Pitcher List

He's still a two-pitch pitcher (FB/SL).  Which basically means hitters can sit on one of those...  And his FB has been hit as a result.  He's thrown a CB and CH with different results.  The curve has a higher xBA, while the changeup has been a gopher ball this year (33% HR/FB ratio) despite the great xBA stats.  

5. Holt seems to be pretty good at teaching the changeup and sweeping slider.  This could be a solid path for improvement for Bradish heading into 2023.

An earlier interview with this quote:

Laurila: The limited amount in college aside, when did you start getting access to analytic data?

Bradish: “We had some of it with the Angels, but there was more when I got over to the Orioles. That’s when we started going in-depth after bullpens, breaking down my outings. But really, I mostly just rip all my stuff through the zone. [The data] has helped with my changeup, though. It doesn’t look as good analytically, but since my fastball is basically a cutter, it plays like a true changeup.”

Kyle Bradish Is a Young Oriole Trying To Get Outs | FanGraphs Baseball

And a correction to the CH 'gopher ball' comment above -- it's only 1 HR.  So SSS...  But still a path forward in his development.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I don’t know about being health lucky.. how many starting pitchers went down for periods this season?   Means, Rodriguez who would have been up here, Tyler Wells, Bradish, Watkins earlier in season, Kremer didn’t pitch till June 5,

Elias may try to get ones this offseason which would certainly help.  A few bats would help too. 

I’d definitely say we’ve been luckier than average as a team.   I used to track games missed on the IL for all AL East teams every year.  720 games missed in a season is about average.  I don’t think we are anywhere close to that.  For starting pitchers, 160 games missed per team is about average for a season.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d definitely say we’ve been luckier than average as a team.   I used to track games missed on the IL for all AL East teams every year.  720 games missed in a season is about average.  I don’t think we are anywhere close to that.  For starting pitchers, 160 games missed per team is about average for a season.

Probably right with position players (though Odor being healthy and not missing the season may not have been much of a blessing lol) 

• 2 weeks later...