Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

11 starts since being called back up, 2.67 ERA.

Anyone ready to pencil him into the Opening Day rotation, or is he one of many fighting for a spot going into Spring Training?

As far as I'm concerned, Wells, Kremer, and Bradish should have a leg up, meaning they would have to suck next spring to lose jobs.  I feel like Voth/Grayrod combo is the perfect way to break GrayRod in.  That leaves one spot for someone special if they can get him.

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

11 starts since being called back up, 2.67 ERA.

Anyone ready to pencil him into the Opening Day rotation, or is he one of many fighting for a spot going into Spring Training?

He had a 3.14 ERA in August in 5 starts, then a 2.08 ERA this month after another 5 starts.  After reading about him a bit it looks like his weakest pitch is his fastball.  So, he's been thriving on all his other pitches -- especially a cutter and slider -- and an improved changeup.  

You got to wonder if Means and Rodriguez won't be ready for OD next season, perhaps making Bradish pretty close to guaranteed a spot in the rotation, at least to begin the year.  He's only 25 and not sure what more he could do to convince than pitch extremely well the past couple of months.  

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As far as I'm concerned, Wells, Kremer, and Bradish should have a leg up, meaning they would have to suck next spring to lose jobs.  I feel like Voth/Grayrod combo is the perfect way to break GrayRod in.  That leaves one spot for someone special if they can get him.

That one spot should eventually go back to John Means -- assuming he has a full recovery.  Wells has been quite bad the past two months.  Hopefully he's just trying to get his rhythm back, but at the moment he looks like he could be a 6th man, assuming the O's add pitching this offseason and eventually add Means and Grayson.  

20 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Bradish has great command. He seems like a Greg Maddux type pitcher, excellent control.

Greg Maddux averaged 1.8 BB's per 9 innings.  Bradish is averaging 3.3  BB's per 9 innings... and he had a higher walk rate in the minors.  He's doing very well, but it's far too soon to put him the Greg Maddux category.  

8 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Greg Maddux averaged 1.8 BB's per 9 innings.  Bradish is averaging 3.3  BB's per 9 innings... and he had a higher walk rate in the minors.  He's doing very well, but it's far too soon to put him the Greg Maddux category.  

It is hard to put many pitchers in Greg Maddux's category.  One of the greatest of all time.

• Upvote 1

It is starting to look like we may exactly need to worry about upgrading the offense more then the pitching.  Bradish, Kremer, GRod, Wells looks like a solid 4.  Then you have Voth who has been good.  Means hopefully back around all star break.  I would add one starter  most likely via trade and put him into rotation and let Voth or Wells move to back end of pen.  

39 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Yes, even if you compare just their age-25 seasons: Maddux 2.3 BB/9, over 263 innings.

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

I think that was a top-10 Oriole start I've watched, with the majority of the rest being Mussina.

You must have not been paying attention during July and August of 2007 when Erik Bedard went 7-0 over 9 starts in one of the most dominant stretches by any Orioles pitcher ever. His complete game shutout against the Rangers striking out 15 is easily a top 5-10 Orioles start of all time.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 3