Zac Lowther 2022

Frobby

I didn’t see Zac Lowther pitch yesterday, but he got good results and I liked what he had to say in his in-game interview.   It seems like he learned a lot from last year’s experience and spent the winter working on things he realized he needed to change.   Two things he mentioned were changing his pitch mix to be less fastball-reliant, and a change in his grip on his slider.   Hope that works well for him.  He looked very relaxed and pleased with his outing.   

Here’s a short article about him from mlb.com:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/zac-lowther-orioles-prospect-first-spring-outing

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Big start tonight for Lowther. He's wading into DFA territory because he doesn't look like he can help the Os anytime soon and it doesn't look like he'd be claimed either. 

I don’t think they’ll be that impatient with him.   

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Big start tonight for Lowther. He's wading into DFA territory because he doesn't look like he can help the Os anytime soon and it doesn't look like he'd be claimed either. 

I agree he has not been good but they have 3 spots from Guts, Ellis and A Wells spots that is or could come off the 40 man roster.   Allen may or may not take one of those but there is no need to DFA Lowther until Elias figures out what he is doing with those 3 spots.   He may be wading but he also may have some time yet.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they’ll be that impatient with him.   

No I wasn't suggesting anything was imminent, just that he's putting himself in the conversation down the road if he doesn't turn it around. 

Tonight he lowered his ERA with a 2.2 IP start allowing 2 ER and striking out 6 while walking 2. The catch? He threw SEVENTY SEVEN pitches.

52 minutes ago, interloper said:

No I wasn't suggesting anything was imminent, just that he's putting himself in the conversation down the road if he doesn't turn it around. 

Tonight he lowered his ERA with a 2.2 IP start allowing 2 ER and striking out 6 while walking 2. The catch? He threw SEVENTY SEVEN pitches.

I agree, I think he is on borrowed time barring an injury. 

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Fair enough, and hard to disagree with you.   Weird outing today, as you summarized.