Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Elias has put that narrative to rest this year. In addition to Wells, Urias, and Mateo, we now can add Krehbiel, Perez, and Jorge Lopez, all contributing positive WAR at virtually no cost.

I’d argue that it takes more than 50 games to decide if someone is a nugget.  But things are trending in the right direction for these players.   Let’s hope they continue to provide value.  

Yea the not missing bats and getting Ks thing bothers me but you have to love the command and control.

Im not convinced we are better off with him in the rotation vs the pen but we definitely need to keep seeing him in the rotation to have a better long term idea.

• 3 weeks later...

So is Tyler Wells our ace now?

6 IP, 1 R and the win today.  His ERA stands at 3.62, and since April 27 it’s 3.14.   

With the six innings today, he’s exceeded his innings total from last year, 59.2 to 57.0.  He’s on pace to throw 140+ innings.   Will the O’s push him that far?  As a minor leaguer he topped out at 119.1, following which he needed TJ surgery.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

6 IP, 1 R and the win today.  His ERA stands at 3.62, and since April 27 it’s 3.14.   

With the six innings today, he’s exceeded his innings total from last year, 59.2 to 57.0.  He’s on pace to throw 140+ innings.   Will the O’s push him that far?  As a minor leaguer he topped out at 119.1, following which he needed TJ surgery.  

We don't have an ace. He has been our best and most consistent pitcher, and perhaps Elias's biggest find in the rebuild period. Great win against a quality pitcher and division rival. Best strike-thrower we've had since Chen. Appears on pace for about 2.5-3 WAR. 

15 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Rodriguez, Means, Hall, Wells as the top 4 sounds pretty good then you have Bradish/Kramer/Zimmerman/FA fighting for 5th spot.  

Or add a rotation piece in free agency that is more than a guy fighting for the fifth spot.  

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Don't the terms ace and TOR just mean the best starting pitcher on your team?

Depends on the context, IMO.  If I say a pitcher is “an ace,” that’s one thing.  If I say he’s “the ace of the staff,” that’s something else.  

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Can he continue to pitch this well with the lack of Ks and missed bats?  I’m very skeptical but maybe.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Or add a rotation piece in free agency that is more than a guy fighting for the fifth spot.  

is there a guy in this class that is worth it is the question.  looks like a lot of guys past prime with some injury issues and a few guys having breakout years in the free agent year which always makes you wonder if this fluke year.  I do think a guy like Musgrave or Taillon could be option if they don't command a ridiculous amount.  

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's not exactly a high bar to reach. I'd say Wells probably gives the Orioles the best chance to win out of our current starters.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's not exactly a high bar to reach. I'd say Wells probably gives the Orioles the best chance to win out of our current starters.

I think this is the best way to describe him.

IMO, I don't know what we'd have in Wells until this time next year.  He's already thrown more innings this year than he had in all of last year and we're not even at the halfway mark.  It remains to be seen if they shut him down at some point or keep letting him go out there until the end of the season.

The most innings he's thrown at any professional level were the 119.1 he threw across A+ and AA in 2018.  IMO, he's entering uncharted waters for himself here as it'll be the most amount of innings he's thrown at the highest professional level.  

It remains to be seen how he'll handle the rest of the workload this year.  And if he can achieve similar results next year, too.  

But the early returns are encouraging.  I do believe that he does give us the best chance to win out of our current starters.