DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. I think we're going to see some sparkling outings and some where it's going to go bad all of a sudden, but it's time for him to figure it out at the major league level.

He might actually benefit from facing better hitters.  Part of his pitch count issues is that he gets so many swing and misses.  Some of those balls will be put in play at the ML level. Perhaps that can keep the pitch count slightly lower and allow him to go slightly deeper.  Of course, his command is going to get him in more trouble in the MLB too.  Agree with you that it’s time to learn but I would wait for a spot to open up.  The guys starting now have pitched well in the last month. 

14 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He might actually benefit from facing better hitters.  Part of his pitch count issues is that he gets so many swing and misses.  Some of those balls will be put in play at the ML level. Perhaps that can keep the pitch count slightly lower and allow him to go slightly deeper.  Of course, his command is going to get him in more trouble in the MLB too.  Agree with you that it’s time to learn but I would wait for a spot to open up.  The guys starting now have pitched well in the last month. 

When Elias deems Hall ready for the majors  I doubt Voth stands in his way of getting a rotation spot.  Voth can move to long relief as Hyde did with him because of off days before the break.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When Elias deems Hall ready for the majors  I doubt Voth stands in his way of getting a rotation spot.  Voth can move to long relief as Hyde did with him because of off days before the break.

I get the idea, but Voth is interesting.  Hall still has major command issues even in these more recent outings.  I watched nearly every pitch two outings ago and it’s clear he still has a long way to go with locating his pitches.  That can be worked on a couple extra weeks in the minors. 

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I get the idea, but Voth is interesting.  Hall still has major command issues even in these more recent outings.  I watched nearly every pitch two outings ago and it’s clear he still has a long way to go with locating his pitches.  That can be worked on a couple extra weeks in the minors. 

As I said, when Elias deems Hall ready.  Its up to him.

I'd like to see D.L. Hall brought up and used as a multi-inning piggy back reliever ala Keegan Akin. Let one of the righties open the game for 3-4 innings, and then bring in Hall for a couple three innings as a bridge to the 7th/8th/9th inning closer crew. If he's successful in that role then stretch him out over the course of the next two months. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, baltfan said:

I understand what you are saying, I like Voth a bit, but I gota gree with Wildcard here. When hall is deemed ready, Voth is not standing in his way of a rotation spot. Heck, Voth might be a good follow on reliever when Hall starts.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

As I said, when Elias deems Hall ready.  Its up to him.

Agreed.

• Upvote 2

I do wonder if Hall could have more success working on his command issues in the majors.  Working with the Oriole pitching coaches, having him connected with Lyles etc.  It may be as much about approach (trying to strike everyone out) as ability and he may get better guidance in the majors. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I understand what you are saying, I like Voth a bit, but I gota gree with Wildcard here. When hall is deemed ready, Voth is not standing in his way of a rotation spot. Heck, Voth might be a good follow on reliever when Hall starts.

Agreed.

Tony, does DL appear to have the ability to throw his fastball down in the zone?  When I have seen him he seems to be fastball up and off-speed down.  I know he has a riding fastball, but even guys with those types of fastballs seem to sometimes throw fastballs down in the zone to keep guys a bit honest.  On the one hand, you could look at the strikeouts and say it obviously isn't broken, but it seems I have seen guys get to his fastball up in the zone because they were cheating and knew where to look.  

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

I could see Hall in a 1-2 inning role more due to his innings cap than Voth per se. 

12 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

We are pushing Rutschman level of ridiculousness that guys like Hall and Westburg aren't up. Thought this was year of the prospects?  

I don’t see it this way at all.  Westburg and Hall have moved very quickly through our system.  Hall has under 95 career innings at AA and above, and only 283.2 pro innings altogether.  Westburg has 484 PA at AA and above (145 in AAA), 860 PA total.   Those are not high numbers.    

Don’t get me wrong.  I’d like to see Hall called up now, and wouldn’t complain if Westburg was.   But I wouldn’t say either has been slow-rolled to this point.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

We are pushing Rutschman level of ridiculousness that guys like Hall and Westburg aren't up. Thought this was year of the prospects?  

What on earth? Westburg and Hall have barely been at Triple-A. In Wesburg's case it's not like he was slow-played at double-A either, and the organization sent Hall to Triple-A fast this year, despite him ending last year early and injured in double-A. A month ago, he was struggling in Triple-A. Adley aside, the organization has by and large been very aggressive with pushing hitters.