DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We've been through this with Tanner Scott. Walks do matter. His current K/BB is 2.75, not sure where you are getting 5:1.

5:1 is what he's done in July.  It's quoted in one of the tweets earlier in this thread.

He's been great lately. I poo-pooed the idea of him tipping his pitches but he's sure turned a corner since then.  I'm still skeptical of that explanation - I think it's more likely that he's just going to be a bit inconsistent until he refines some things - but there's no question he's been dominant over the past 4 starts.

Tanner Scott was not on Hall's level.  Not even in the same building I don't think.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, RVAOsFan said:

I watched a few innings and noticed the same thing.  It was like a tick, he would reach down rub the dirt then go immediately to the rubber and into his windup.

Wondering if people who have seen him pitch in other games have noticed this or if it was just the landing on the mound that had thrown him off?

He does it most games. He's very fidgety on the mound who frequently runs dirt on his hands or kicks his spikes or moves the mound dirt around. Once he's on the bump though he's a quick worker.

It's just who he is right now, but I can see how things could snowball on him a bit.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=pit&qual=50&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=9,1

Yesterday's big game got him to 2nd to Grayson at International League K-BB%, and the sort in the link above shows those two towering over all at K% at 38.    The Mets Thomas Szapucki is an old AAA pitcher running hot who I have wondered whether might be part of our ask if we did anything with NYM.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There's not a lot of good arguments to not brining him up in the second half now. He now needs to learn how to get the best hitters in the world out.

Yeah, I’m with you.  I’ll be honest, I think he’s going to take some lumps at the big league level due to his inconsistent command.  But I think he needs to experience that and learn from it.  I’d rather have him go into 2023 with a significant number of big league games under his belt.  If Elias’ goal of 100 IP for Hall is accurate, he’s only got 33.1 innings or so left in his season.   That’s probably 7-8 starts, assuming a couple of early exits for pitch count or ineffectiveness.  Get him up here.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m with you.  I’ll be honest, I think he’s going to take some lumps at the big league level due to his inconsistent command.  But I think he needs to experience that and learn from it.  I’d rather have him go into 2023 with a significant number of big league games under his belt.  If Elias’ goal of 100 IP for Hall is accurate, he’s only got 33.1 innings or so left in his season.   That’s probably 7-8 starts, assuming a couple of early exits for pitch count or ineffectiveness.  Get him up here.  

I agree. I think we're going to see some sparkling outings and some where it's going to go bad all of a sudden, but it's time for him to figure it out at the major league level.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep, I don’t think he’s going to come up and look like cy young, but I want him to take his lumps this year, and grow for next year.

A lot of harder throwers seem to take longer to really settle in, so my guess is Hall might be a lot better at 28 then he is now 🤷‍♀️

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Best usage might be 2 inning opener/piggy backer. Maybe in tandem with Wells as he gets restrictions.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is the key.  He doesn’t have many innings left this year.  I could see them give him 3-5 starts..max out at 80-90 pitches and then spend the rest of the year in the pen.

I actually would prefer to just start him and face as many hitters as possible and then shut him down though.

8 minutes ago, xmichaelx said:

What makes you say that?

Just a gut feeling, some of it hopeful.

I think he's ready to come up and they were waiting until after all star break. Give him an extra day of rest then let him start. Have Akin, Voth, or Watkins ready behind him if he only goes 2-4 innings.

I think Bradish and Harvey will be up by Friday as well. I look for us to go with a 6 man rotation the rest of the way to extend some pitcher's innings - mainly Wells & Hall. We can roll with Wells, Bradish, Lyles, Kremer, Harvey, Hall. 

1 hour ago, scbalt52 said:

Just a gut feeling, some of it hopeful.

I think he's ready to come up and they were waiting until after all star break. Give him an extra day of rest then let him start. Have Akin, Voth, or Watkins ready behind him if he only goes 2-4 innings.

I think Bradish and Harvey will be up by Friday as well. I look for us to go with a 6 man rotation the rest of the way to extend some pitcher's innings - mainly Wells & Hall. We can roll with Wells, Bradish, Lyles, Kremer, Harvey, Hall. 

Bradish is not ready.   He has been pitching at AA.  He will have to show what he can do at AAA before he gets a call up.   A lot depends on him getting some movement of his fastball.