SteveA

Thursday: Orioles vs Pirates at Bradenton

• Plus Member
4 minutes ago, justD said:

They just interviewed the Pirates' starting pitcher Thompson, who said he actually fell over after one pitch due to a strong gust. 

Before my time but it's part of Oriole lore that Stu Miller was blown off the mound in Candlestick Park in San Francisco in an All Star game sometime in the 60s.

• Upvote 1

• Plus Member

Akin was the scheduled starter but Hyde decided to switch them up.  This is Baker's third spring appearance.  The other two were in the ninth inning of games, so he was facing scrubs.  Tony had mentioned that he was disappointed that they weren't using him against the starters.  Well, today, they did.  He's looked good in every outing so far.  Really would like him to break camp with the big team.

• Plus Member
5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Somebody who isn't following Gameday at work gonna have to explain to me how Richie Martin only went from 2nd to 3rd on a double by Ramon Urias.

It was kinda funny.  He took a biiiiig turn around third and got held up and held up his hands looking at the 3rd base coach saying, "Whyyy????" 

Announcers figured it was like earlier in the game, they're trying to avoid plays at the plate in Spring Training with the risk of injury. 

• Plus Member

And I haven't been paying attention, because they just said Shayne Fontana gets to third on a hit by Cody Roberts. 

And I'm like, "What?? Who??" 

It's so nice having Twin Lakes this close to the ML parks so these guys can just come over and get some exposure like this. 

• Plus Member

Is it wrong for me to be happy that Akin gave up yet another home run? 

I've never liked him.  Even in Bowie.  I really want us to be forced to fill his slot with someone else.  

Even if that turns out not so great either. 

The home run was an exit velo of 100mph, 410 ft. 

• Plus Member

Ugly play by McKenna in LF (granted, there's that wind factor) on a two-out double off Akin in his second inning pitched. 

Followed by a nice diving catch by Zach Watson in CF, show hair flying, to end the 7th inning. 

• Plus Member
4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

And a Prieto sighting, as well.

At least he got some contact on that second pitch before striking out. 

They're talking Bednar up quite a bit, so I guess it's good that he got to face him. 

• Plus Member

Announcers called out that Martin was unable to get to a hard-hit grounder to 2B, but that was Prieto.  Went off his glove, ruled an error although Kevin Young ("K-Y") thinks it was a hit. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Tipping pitches? On the bright side, he's got pretty good K/9 and low BB/9. Could be he is getting really, really, really bad luck on BABIP? Looks like the 4th blew up very quickly. Somehow he gave up 5 runs on 11 pitches. 
    • What’s odd is that he walked 5 but he had a 67% str% and only threw 28 balls.  It’s not like he was wild and couldn’t find the plate. But that is back to back poor starts and certainly doesn’t put him on the road to Baltimore any time soon.
    • I don’t disagree, not entirely. He did not get many chances early in his career. But I don’t think he impressed enough either. He did move into the starter role in 2019, and then had a fly ball hit him in the head. He had other misplays and got himself injured. I think it was an ankle, a knee and something else. The guy had some chances along the way. 2021 was really the first time where he played a lot. 77 starts is a very good amount. My eyes cannot unsee his slow bat getting beaten over and over again by 90 MPH FB’s.  In those years, they had Adam Jones (2018), Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Hays, Mullins and McKenna. They also had immortals Dwight Smith Jr., Stevie Wilkerson, Keon Broxton, Jace Peterson, Renato Nunez (DH), Mason Williams, Joey Rickard, Mark Trumbo, etc…who they gave at bats to over Stewart. I think that tells us how they valued him.  They kept Stewart and the others and moved Yaz. I think Stewart was always at the mediocre side of those in the organization. He was kept around because he is a LH bat, with some above average raw power, who might figure it out. He didn’t. They evaluated him on a daily basis, in his preparation and such. I guess he could do a Yaz on us. Honestly, good for him. He’s not a good fit here. Maybe another team has room for a guy who can be an everyday mediocre DH. Not an AL East team. We cannot get our parties in a twist if a guy goes elsewhere and has decent results. 
    • Yup, I was wondering the same. Sad to see him getting roughed up routinely.
    • I guess I'm just being nitpicky again because, to me, a seasons worth of at bats over five years isn't numerous chances with everyday play. I'm fine with moving on but he didn't get a multiple chances to just go out there every day thrive or struggle. And if you aren't trying to win games for years on end you should be doing that.
    • I can definitely make a case. The past two years, he had several extended chances where he played pretty much everyday, especially when Santander and Hays were injured. He showed no signs of improvement. Slow bat, and he has lost whatever moderate speed he once had. Mediocre fastballs mystified him.  In 2021, he started 65 games in the OF, and 12 at DH. .204/.324.374/.698 with 89 K’s in 318 plate appearances. He had the one 10 day period in 2020, where he hit 7 HR’s like Babe Ruth. That really skews his career stats.  Hyde stopped playing him, because he is awful. They were patient with him. They gave him every chance. He failed. He was not claimed by the other 29 teams. He is currently emergency insurance for OF. As you said, in five years, he had his shot. If he had been better, he would have gotten more opportunities earlier. 
    • I believe this week's 3B games for Westburg are his first in AAA after a few weeks. Gunnar SS-SS-3B-3B-SS-3B Westburg 2B-3B-SS-SS-3B-SS  
  • Popular Contributors