Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

35 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I enjoyed this clip showing his family getting emotional. Cool stuff.

That is quite awesome. Thanks for sharing. As a Dad, seeing his Dad get emotional hits 100 percent in the feels. Reminds of when my son won the MIAA wrestling championship his senior year. Not at the same level as watching your kid get a major league hit of course, but knowing how much time and effort they put in to reaching a dream and getting there is special. 

I've been saying for some time that although Stowers is going to be streaky, he's got the best power in the system. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If I understand what's happening correctly, he's only up for the 4 games in Toronto, right?  At least for now.  If that's the case, then why no start him all 4 games?  Do we really need to see more of Ryan M.?

Trying to stack the lineup with RH against this starter; an earlier post listed the splits to defend that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If I understand what's happening correctly, he's only up for the 4 games in Toronto, right?  At least for now.  If that's the case, then why no start him all 4 games?  Do we really need to see more of Ryan M.?

I would say yes, this team is rebuilding. We need to see a lot more of Ryan M. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I suppose it's because Left-hander Yusei Kikuchi is on the mound, but Stowers has traditionally not have much of a split and has lefties well in the minors. Left-handers have put up a .430 wOBA against him this year as well so i know I'd rather see him instead of McKenna. Honestly, why not give Mullins a night off? 

Just now, PHRESH said:

Exactly.  We are rebuilding and we pretty much know at this point that McKenna is not a long term answer or piece, so why give him a start over Stowers who may be a long term piece?  

3 minutes ago, justD said:

Trying to stack the lineup with RH against this starter; an earlier post listed the splits to defend that. 

The idea we can stack a lineup with Ryan McKenna is funny, regardless of who the pitcher is or what hand he happens to throw with.  McKenna is not a good hitter, regardless of who is on the mound.  

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

The idea we can stack a lineup with Ryan McKenna is funny, regardless of who the pitcher is or what hand he happens to throw with.  McKenna is not a good hitter, regardless of who is on the mound.  

I don't disagree.  But that was the reasoning that was given.  Your point is well taken.  

Anyone know if Hyde's decisions are driven by the front office, about which several other ML managers have complained (most recently Joe Maddon)? 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Kikuchi Batters Faced 2022 Game Log:

16-21-20-15-21-21-22-19-25-19-8

He's only made it to the bottom of the order thrice once....two meaningful PA out there tonight for Stowers if game stays out of the A Lot to a A Little range.

And if Hyde wants to use 50% of his 2 man bench well before the game is over.

6 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

I don’t have a problem with McKenna playing tonight as there’s a chance he can be the fourth outfielder of the future.

Its a small sample size, but McKenna’s OPS+ is 95 just below league average. Combine that with his speed and defense, and McKenna can be an asset if he avoids slumping at the plate.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I can't help but wonder if you two are talking about different "Ryan M."'s.

That's possible.  I was talking about the Ryan M. who is starting in the outfield tonight in the place of Stowers, but I probably should have been more clear that I was referring to McKenna and not Mountcastle.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t have a problem with McKenna playing tonight as there’s a chance he can be the fourth outfielder of the future.

Its a small sample size, but McKenna’s OPS+ is 95 just below league average. Combine that with his speed and defense, and McKenna can be an asset if he avoids slumping at the plate.

I do.  Give up a chance to see more of the young talent that's finally making it to the majors, not stuck watching someone that has a slim chance to just be the fourth outfielder of the future.  While the game last night over all sucked as we were soundly beaten, I enjoyed watching every at bat of Stowers, Adley, etc, the players I expect to be major contributors when we are competitive again.  McKenna really isn't in that conversation beyond perhaps a bench player. JMO.