Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It doesn’t matter.  The whole process was handled poorly.  It’s just moronic.  

Huh? It’s not moronic at all. The only real complaint is that he didn’t play against Gausman. You’re just looking for things to complain about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Huh? It’s not moronic at all. The only real complaint is that he didn’t play against Gausman. You’re just looking for things to complain about. 

No I’m not and just because you don’t understand what has been said by myself and others doesn’t mean we are complaining.

• Upvote 2

It WAS stupid for him to be called up, basically for 'free' (no option used, etc) and yet he only started 2 of the 4 games.  Again, it's not the end of the world, but it was dumb.  Sure, maybe he'll be up again later this year...and maybe not as there is no guarantee we will have a spot for him unless someone gets traded or injured.  He simply should have played more while he was here, and it was moronic that it didn't happen.   I rarely agree with Sports Guy, but in this case he's right.  

9 hours ago, forphase1 said:

It WAS stupid for him to be called up, basically for 'free' (no option used, etc) and yet he only started 2 of the 4 games.  Again, it's not the end of the world, but it was dumb.  Sure, maybe he'll be up again later this year...and maybe not as there is no guarantee we will have a spot for him unless someone gets traded or injured.  He simply should have played more while he was here, and it was moronic that it didn't happen.   I rarely agree with Sports Guy, but in this case he's right.  

I agree with Sports Guy a good bit but here I don’t. The point of calling him up was to get him big league experience. Playing in 2 games as opposed to 3/4 is not going to make some difference in his development.  He was called up not because they were ready to call him up but because Santander could not play. This was a real life dress rehearsal. Stowers gets to play in some games, be around the team and coaches. It’s a win for all. 

• Upvote 1

His last at bat, he started off 0-2, the second pitch a low-and-away pitch he really reached for.

He then worked it back to 3-2 before smoothly lifting a line drive out to shallow CF. 

He had in the previous AB been hit in the right ribs, as noted. It makes sense he would feel sore an inning later and would ask to come out, but I don’t think it will be serious or long-term. 

• Upvote 2

I had to laugh at the last two pages of this thread. Calling this a stupid move, comical. This was a very unique situation. He got a chance to fill a temporary MLB role and get a taste. I am sure he was thrilled to come up for a few days. 

Stowers has a lot to learn about his major league adjustments. You get a chance to bring him up for a few days, to go through the preparation and see a taste of the big league life. To be around the team, the coaches and so on.

He played in two games, and acquitted himself ok. He got to watch, listen and learn. A lot is learned on the bench, and I’m sure someone here will argue against that. But it is true for a guy like Kyle. Talk to any guy who has been in MLB. 

Hyde felt the matchups weren’t good in two games, and fans complain. They want the kid to have some success, and get his feet on the ground. His confidence is important. I’m not sure why this is such an issue for some. Stowers is not our next superstar or something. He might be a solid major leaguer, maybe. He has a ways to go in AAA yet. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I had to laugh at the last two pages of this thread. Calling this a stupid move, comical. This was a very unique situation. He got a chance to fill a temporary MLB role and get a taste. I am sure he was thrilled to come up for a few days. 

Stowers has a lot to learn about his major league adjustments. You get a chance to bring him up for a few days, to go through the preparation and see a taste of the big league life. To be around the team, the coaches and so on.

He played in two games, and acquitted himself ok. He got to watch, listen and learn. A lot is learned on the bench, and I’m sure someone here will argue against that. But it is true for a guy like Kyle. Talk to any guy who has been in MLB. 

Hyde felt the matchups weren’t good in two games, and fans complain. They want the kid to have some success, and get his feet on the ground. His confidence is important. I’m not sure why this is such an issue for some. Stowers is not our next superstar or something. He might be a solid major leaguer, maybe. He has a ways to go in AAA yet. 

I question how much you can learn in 4 days at the ML level.  Sure, I bet Stowers realized that everything is faster at the big league level, however how can that be replicated at AAA?  

It can't.  

I'm sure he was thrilled to be up for a few days, anyone would be.  And you're right, he has a lot to learn about his major league adjustments.  But there's no better place to learn about ML adjustments than at...the major leagues.

Again, I agree you can learn a lot by watching but he was up for 4 days.  How much was learned?

At least it didn't burn an option, that would have been REALLY stupid.  I think it was kind of stupid in the sense that it was a shoulder shrug kind of a move.  I don't think it really helped him, I don't think it really hurt him either.  I think he should still be here and I think he should still be getting at bats as I don't think Santander portends to be part of the future of this club.  Stowers, while not a superstar prospect, has a lot of upside that needs to be realized.

So it was stupid from a "what was that, exactly?" kind of perspective.  And it wasn't the end of the world, either.  Both statements can be true.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I question how much you can learn in 4 days at the ML level.  Sure, I bet Stowers realized that everything is faster at the big league level, however how can that be replicated at AAA?  

It can't.  

I'm sure he was thrilled to be up for a few days, anyone would be.  And you're right, he has a lot to learn about his major league adjustments.  But there's no better place to learn about ML adjustments than at...the major leagues.

Again, I agree you can learn a lot by watching but he was up for 4 days.  How much was learned?

At least it didn't burn an option, that would have been REALLY stupid.  I think it was kind of stupid in the sense that it was a shoulder shrug kind of a move.  I don't think it really helped him, I don't think it really hurt him either.  I think he should still be here and I think he should still be getting at bats as I don't think Santander portends to be part of the future of this club.  Stowers, while not a superstar prospect, has a lot of upside that needs to be realized.

So it was stupid from a "what was that, exactly?" kind of perspective.  And it wasn't the end of the world, either.  Both statements can be true.  

Beyond the obvious environment of an MLB ballpark, the life of a big leaguer is very different from a AAA player. At least that is what some say. The crowds are bigger. Everything is better, and more difficult.

I think he can understand from this that there are swing and approach adjustments to make. When you rake at AAA against AAAA pitching, it is a false sense of security. The coaches can tell you what you should do, make suggestions, and so on. It only cements in when the need is seen and understood. Or maybe about his routes in the OF. We can speculate a lot, but I just don’t think Hyde is “stupid” when it comes to handling young players. Elias either. They handled him carefully. Sure. Stupidly, nah, not at all. 

Every second he can spend up in Baltimore helps him learn, slow the game down. If you play him in a situation where the match up is bad, for now, players make survival adjustments. Hasty changes made to not look as bad, rather than that which leads to ultimate success. Builds bad habits and stunts the growth curve. 

If he learned something, anything, then it is worthwhile for him, and the team. He will get his chances sooner than later. And it takes a little pressure off him later having the whole debut thing under his belt.