MLB approves new technology to limit sign stealing

MurphDogg

43 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I can't access the original article due to the paywall.  Would teams be allowed to use this in all situations, or just when a runner was on second base?  If it's the latter, then we can still enjoy the drama of trying to read the catcher's signs most of the time.  

When experimenting during ST, they used it throughout the game, not situationally. 

The article also mentioned that its use sped up the game by allowing the “call” to be made while the pitcher was regrouping off the mound, rather than him waiting to look in once ready to pitch. So I would guess that would be a good reason to use it even when no one was on 2B. 

Here’s a snippet that explains that it would be in the ear of the pitcher and any 3 other players chosen by the team:

Most clubs indicated they would have the pitcher, shortstop, second baseman and center fielder wear the earpieces, Marinak said, and they could hear recorded, customized phrases like “fastball down and away.”

No team or pitcher is required to use PitchCom, and teams could have some pitchers who employ the system and others who do not.

Looking forward to seeing this in-game. Sounds like it could also assist with any confusion between the pitcher, catcher, and other players wearing the tech.

I like the potential for making this part of the game more efficient as it seems to solve multiple time wasting issues. 

On 4/6/2022 at 3:12 PM, MurphDogg said:

Also I love that apparently it is just a bunch of buttons where the catchers have prerecorded messages with "Fastball, low and outside" as an example. Not particularly complex technology.

If it was a complex, cutting-edge technology baseball would still be 40 years from considering it.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:20 PM, AlbNYfan said:

Wait until they hack the audio and relay it to the batter. Tech may make cheating easier!! There are always ways. I have sympathies for the play by play announcers. I also wonder how many pitches and locations the catcher will have to record with  a 13 man staff? Just basic, there are a minimum at least 7 locations and I can think of almost as many not so basic. If a pitcher has 4 pitches...you get the picture. I don't consider a runner on base that "steals" a sign cheating. I do consider a "10th" player sitting somewhere in the stadium and relaying pitches unacceptable. 

It's relatively straightforward to encrypt the signal and make it very difficult to hack.  I assume they use something like this in this system. 

Unless you have an inside source supplying the other team with the encryption key.  

On 4/6/2022 at 11:55 PM, byrdz said:

Looking forward to seeing this in-game. Sounds like it could also assist with any confusion between the pitcher, catcher, and other players wearing the tech.

I like the potential for making this part of the game more efficient as it seems to solve multiple time wasting issues. 

So... you give an earpiece to the shortstop.  And whenever Joe Smith is up and you are throwing him a curve, he shifts three steps to the left.  Haven't you just spent a lot of time and effort and a fair amount of money to avoid sign stealing, when all the other team has to do is look for where the shortstop is?