2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let down at the lacl of pitching in the system. Especially SP. I guess 3 years of not drafting any will do that. 

Tough to find guys like Hall and Rodriguez.  Kudos to Rajsich.  You could draft pitchers for 5 years and not find 2 guys that good.  Believe me, I've seen it for over 30 years.

I suspect the Latin program is going to be our best hope for a big time arm.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Tough to find guys like Hall and Rodriguez.  Kudos to Rajsich.  You could draft pitchers for 5 years and not find 2 guys that good.  Believe me, I've seen it for over 30 years.

I suspect the Latin program is going to be our best hope for a big time arm.

The Bundy trade worked out for arms. It seems though that we might as well focus on low level/high ceiling bats in future trades than the Velez/Kevin Smith types. Just keep growing the bats and seeing where we end up. We’re not having too much success with the arms Elias has drafted. 

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Surprises.  Baumler debuts at #14 on the list. Seems high with nothing to go on.

Ignacio Feliz?  It's nice to see but I'd like to know why.

Cowser still ahead of Westburg?  I don't get it.  

I'll be honest here, Baumler gets a high debut for a few reasons.

1. Felix Bautista graduated and it create a hole
  2. He was ranked #16 at the end of the year last year based on his potential
  3. Nobody that's behind him at #14 has really stepped up
  4. He still has a starter's potential

Feliz has pitched his way onto the scene bit with an incredible ability to miss bats (16.1/9 thru 24.2IP). Since getting pounded by the Blue Rocks for 8 ER runs in 1.2 UP on 4/14, he's pitched to a 1.71 ERA and held batters to a measly .123/.256/.206/.461 slash line over 21 IP in 6 appearances. He can throw in the mid-90s and his slider misses bats. At 22 years old in High-A, he's age appropriate for his level.

Cowser has shown a little life over his last six games (.333/.360/.542/.902) but the surprising K problem has remained. I'm convinced this is swing change problem and the org has told him not to worry about numbers and stick with the new swing. The OBP has remained and he's solid defensive outfielder. Westburg has begun to awaken out of his slump as well slashing .326/.383/.698/1.081 over his last 11 games. Let's hope it's him getting adjusted to AA because he now has a .228/.325/.456/.781 slash line in 289 AA PAs. That has to improve.

@Tony-OH Thanks for the update. I just can never really get excited by the pitching in the 15-30 range. I feel like there are bats that are more intriguing prospects. I know it’s power rankings but Willems has really fallen from where he debuted last year. He seems like he’s coming around. Maybe I’m just underrating some of our arms. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH Thanks for the update. I just can never really get excited by the pitching in the 15-30 range. I feel like there are bats that are more intriguing prospects. I know it’s power rankings but Willems has really fallen from where he debuted last year. He seems like he’s coming around. Maybe I’m just underrating some of our arms. 

I'm not super excited about any of the arms right now behind Grayson and DL Hall to be honest. Way too many are on the IL and even the ones doing well in Aberdeen and Delmarva are still unknowns a bit. Pinto and Lowther have been disappointments, Rom, Brandon Young and Rangel are on the IL. Baumann's command has not been great and Bradish has only had one good start in four at the major league level.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wouldn’t fret over Cowser v Westburg. I think we’ll have a clearer picture by the end of the year. The tie breaker for me is that Cowser’s size is underrated. Cowser has more upside because If he taps into his power. 

Westburg is a potential power hitting middle IF who is already tapping into his power.   Cowser is tapping into some power but it certainly looks like he's going to be sacrificing some of that hittability to do so.   I guess if you envision Cowser as a .300 hitter with 25 homer power he might have a higher ceiling than Westburg.    I envision Westburg as a .260-.280 hitter with 25+ home run power.   I think I'd still give Westburg the edge but it's an interesting discussion.

The list is going to look really interesting soon. The FCL starts on June 6th. AR will likely still have prospect status. Baumler is activated. Kjerstad likely plays on June 6th. 

With the draft being 6 weeks behind the start of the FCL, I just wonder how we’re going to fill those two teams out. Diaz and Vavra can only play down there so much. Haha. 

Think the Orioles are super top heavy in the prospect department. You could argue that any of the top 4, are also among the top 30 prospects in all of baseball, but the bottom of the list is very weak, and not really very young. Curious to see if that changes with the FCL season starting and some of the young international bonus players debuting. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Think the Orioles are super top heavy in the prospect department. You could argue that any of the top 4, are also among the top 30 prospects in all of baseball, but the bottom of the list is very weak, and not really very young. Curious to see if that changes with the FCL season starting and some of the young international bonus players debuting. 

That’s why these are power rankings and not prospect rankings. Once Kjerstad, Basaillo, and Hernandez debut it will push some of our fringey/older pitching prospects down. The draft in July is going to help as well.  Plus the DSL starting. 

I think the top 10 is very exciting and then you have players like   Kjerstad, Basallo, Maikol Hernandez, Anderson Delosantos, Brailyn Tavera, whoever the #1 pick is who could/should be exciting top 10 potential type of players as well.    Then there are always you Joseph Ortiz, Hudson Haskins,  John Rhodes types who are top 20 guys who could make another jump.

3 hours ago, seak05 said:

Agreed on the top 4 in the top 30 prospects in baseball.  Some really good top line talent if these guys keep taking the path they're currently on!

But would add that I do like the top 10ish guys as solid floors as well.  After that, it starts to weaken with some wildcards in the mix as well like Baumler, Kjerstad, Diaz, Tavera, Haskins...