2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

There are obviously going to be some changes since the last power rankings, but I've decide to not make another one this season. I've begun work on the final top 30 so I'm going to focus on that. 

As you are looking at the top 30, how many of those guys do you think will make preseason Top 100 lists? With the seasons guys like Norby and Ortiz have put up is it possible they are included?

Gunnar, Grayson, Holiday, Cowser, Hall, Westburg, Norby, Ortiz, Mayo 

Could we have 8 or 9 preseason Top 100 prospects? Including the number 1 overall? Seems crazy but also seems like a real possibility.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

There are obviously going to be some changes since the last power rankings, but I've decide to not make another one this season. I've begun work on the final top 30 so I'm going to focus on that. 

Thanks for doing this throughout the season, Tony.   It’s been fun to debate and to follow the ups and downs of the players.   

Do you keep any record of how the list changed since the beginning of the year?  It would be fun to go back and look at the ups and downs.   

Even more fun will be to see the final top 30, with guys like Ortiz and Norby ending the year on a heater.   Looking forward to that!

39 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

As you are looking at the top 30, how many of those guys do you think will make preseason Top 100 lists? With the seasons guys like Norby and Ortiz have put up is it possible they are included?

Gunnar, Grayson, Holiday, Cowser, Hall, Westburg, Norby, Ortiz, Mayo 

Could we have 8 or 9 preseason Top 100 prospects? Including the number 1 overall? Seems crazy but also seems like a real possibility.

It's really hard for me to say because I don't track other prospects in other organizations. 

I can't see Gunnar dropping from his #1 position since he should keep his rookie eligibility. Grayson and Holliday will definitely be on the list. So that's three sure things. It will be interesting to see if Cowser remains with his strike out rate and poor hitting in AAA and Hall's lack of numbers could see him drop as well, though I'd imagine he stays in the top 100.

Out of Westburg, Norby, Ortiz, and Mayo, it will be interesting to see how they stack up. Honestly, until I do my full analysis, I'm not even sure where they will end up on my top 30 yet though all of them should be in the top 10. Beavers could also be a sneaky one too. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for doing this throughout the season, Tony.   It’s been fun to debate and to follow the ups and downs of the players.   

Do you keep any record of how the list changed since the beginning of the year?  It would be fun to go back and look at the ups and downs.   

Even more fun will be to see the final top 30, with guys like Ortiz and Norby ending the year on a heater.   Looking forward to that!

Thanks, appreciate the kind words. 

I started to "quote the previous rankings" after a new one posted at some point this year after I was thinking the same thing. 

Next year I may keep a spread sheet and then post that to show how the players moved around during the year.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH or anyone… other than Hall, do we have any potential late inning relievers that could help the big club next season? Ignacio Feliz?

Denoyer, Watson, Vallimont, and Yennier Cano.   The first 3 might be in Norfolks rotation to start the year but all 3 are potential bullpen pieces.  Cano looks terrible at times but he has good stuff.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH or anyone… other than Hall, do we have any potential late inning relievers that could help the big club next season? Ignacio Feliz?

It’s possible that the answer will be some guys they are hoping will be in the rotation. Are Bradish and Kremer for real, for example?  

Obviously you don’t consider this for a while though.

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There is no big arm guy that is close unfortunately. The sooner they move Juan De Los Santos to the pen the faster he will move. He has been up to 99 MPH this season and at 6-3, 250, he's like the little Mountain!

But he'll be just 21 next year so they will probably want to see if he can develop his secondaries enough to stick as a starter.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not saying that Tony is wrong.  I just think its surprising.

Wow.   Ryan Watson is the O's Jim Palmer Minor League Pitcher of the Year and can't make the top 40.

Wow.   Ryan Watson is the O's Jim Palmer Minor League Pitcher of the Year and can't make the top 40.

I am not saying that Tony is wrong.  I just think its surprising.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that says more about the way the Orioles do their minor league awards.

I've heard Watson mentioned by scouts in the past but when I watched him, I just don't see the outpitch for him. Sure, he can run it up there to 96, but I don't see a ton of swing and miss and he gets barreled up too much for me when he misses.

I mean, could he turn into a 6th inning or long guy on a 2nd Division team, sure, but I can say that about a lot of guys. 

As for the award, it really was a battle or attrition for the pitchers award once Grayson went down with injury. I think Justin Armbruester probably deserved it more and he's the better prospect. but of the guys who throw 95 IP or more, it probably did come down to Watson or Armbruester so they went with the guy with the lower ERZ even though Armbruester beat him in just about every other category. 

Lastly, these were power rankings, not prospect rankings. Watson could still end up in the top 40 or so.