Yusniel Diaz 2022

UMDTerrapins

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yankees are already lining up.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now that is going to attract some offers.

23 years old, under team control for multiple seasons, 6 wins/162.

Elias says that’s poor service clock management. He should still only be in AAA. 

• 1 month later...

I have randomly become a fan of this guy for no apparent reason.  You can see the talent is in there.  Get this man to a yoga studio and try and find a way to keep him on the field, would be fantastic if he could realize his talent.  The power is legit.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I have randomly become a fan of this guy for no apparent reason.  You can see the talent is in there.  Get this man to a yoga studio and try and find a way to keep him on the field, would be fantastic if he could realize his talent.  The power is legit.  

No apparent reason? 1.000 OPS in a small sample is an excellent reason. With Stowers seemingly ready and Cowser and Kjerstad in the pipeline, I wonder what Elias has in mind for Diaz. Maybe a prospect-for-prospect trade candidate? 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

No apparent reason? 1.000 OPS in a small sample is an excellent reason. With Stowers seemingly ready and Cowser and Kjerstad in the pipeline, I wonder what Elias has in mind for Diaz. Maybe a prospect-for-prospect trade candidate? 

I think Diaz could be the next outfielder up if he can stay healthy for a few weeks/a month. They need to figure out if he can help in the future (of course health being a big caveat). Diaz already has 1950 minor league at bats (according to Baseball Reference...some other sites report lower number of at bats) plus at bats in Cuba and the Dominican Winter League.

I think a prospect-for-prospect trade involving Diaz would be for a similar player (relatively talented but probably under-performing or often injuried) or some low-level, international prospects. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

I think Diaz could be the next outfielder up if he can stay healthy for a few weeks/a month. They need to figure out if he can help in the future (of course health being a big caveat). Diaz already has 1950 minor league at bats (according to Baseball Reference...some other sites report lower number of at bats) plus at bats in Cuba and the Dominican Winter League.

I think a prospect-for-prospect trade involving Diaz would be for a similar player (relatively talented but probably under-performing or often injuried) or some low-level, international prospects. 

I agree, but Stowers also appears ready. I wonder if Diaz had been healthy if he would have been the one to come up for the Toronto series. Hopefully there is a way to get a look at both this year. Good problems to have.  

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree, but Stowers also appears ready. I wonder if Diaz had been healthy if he would have been the one to come up for the Toronto series. Hopefully there is a way to get a look at both this year. Good problems to have.  

I agree that a healthy Diaz would probably have been brought up for at least a cup of coffee by now (and the Toronto series would have been a good opportunity for him). I think we are all more excited about Stowers, especially given Diaz's health and variability in performance (he looked bad last year), but the Orioles don't have to put Stowers on the 40 man this offseason so he may stay in the minors the rest of the season if an outfielder doesn't get traded or injured. Diaz is definitely getting closer to the fish or cut bait break point. 

Ultimately, it takes top talent depth to build the org.  He's given hints at the top talent piece.  But with him, it feels like we can't even count him as depth.  

I wonder if he could be a piece in a larger trade package.  He's not the type of guy I would be trading for if I were building an org.  But maybe a small/mid-market trade partner would see him as balancing out losing a higher rated prospect to get some bullpen help or a Santander?