Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

The plan always was to have him up this year. And sooner than Hall. I don't think his service time is going to get mucked with, my opinion. I think they'll find a way to get him up and eligible for playoff roster if his stuff is looking good. Does he get relegated to a relief spot or does he get a three or four inning opener sitch til playoffs when he's stretched out a bit more is the question I believe.

Edited by oh-wee-ohs

I like how Grayson is not shy about telling people he should be in Baltimore. He’s right. I’m afraid they’ll find a reason to keep him down unless we fall behind in the playoff race. Honestly, he should get Watkins’ spot in the rotation as soon as he can reach 80 pitches with good stuff. I’m just not confident Elias will agree. 

• Upvote 1

I am not counting out the chances of him being in Baltimore this year. If he goes every 5th day (sometimes 6 because of the Monday off), it looks like he can get in 5 starts between Thursday  and Sept 22.   At that point, he could get in one more start in AAA if they want to keep him down.

However, instead of that last AAA start, he could then come up the majors and get 2 starts.  One at Boston and one at NY..or they could make sure he starts one of the last home games vs Tor vs at NY.  Either way, the Tides season ends on the 28th, so he has a chance to get at least 1 start in the majors. 

As long as he’s healthy and throwing well, I don’t see why you wouldn’t give him at least 1 start in the majors and really, he could get as many as 3 if he the first 4 starts are very good and he is able to get his pitch count up, hold velo, etc…He has been throwing a lot.  He just went 40 pitches in sim game.  I would expect him to throw 60-75 pitches tomorrow.  Then ramp that up to 70-85 the next start and then, assuming all goes well, he should be able to go 90-100 pitches in the next 2-3 starts.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

If he gets much work above 2 innings/roughly 40 pitches tomorrow I’ll be surprised. I realize he’s been throwing for a month, but cmon…this is the Os we’re talking about lol. 

His season high on pitches is 88, so I really doubt he’ll be at 90-100 within the next couple starts. 

They treated him with kid gloves all season, now you really have to kid glove him to shorten the risk of further injury or reaggrevation. 

I was just watching some interviews and clips of him working out.   I get a Roger Clemens type vibe off his body shape and physically.  He looks the part of a major leaguer.   This kid is what they are supposed to look like. 

Jokes aside, I was looking for him to do a few things and he checked those boxes.  Was hoping his velocity was in the 95+ range, was looking for him to throw all his pitches and he did.  He was a little rusty and off with his command.  Still looked pretty nasty, he had a couple ks and some soft contact.  One ball hit on the hard side.  I image they had him on a 40 pitch count and he came close, checked some boxes and on to the next start.  He walk the last two batters he faced struggling with his command a bit.  Didn't look like anything more that rust, wasn't missing by too much, it's not like he was super wild.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1