Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He hopes.

Never heard him use language like that before.

It's pure spin, it has no relevance as to Grayson's chances to make the team next spring.

My take on that comment is that he will get an opportunity to compete for a starting rotation spot next spring. If he's fully healthy, I believe he will be in the rotation to start the year. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He hopes.

It's pure spin, it has no relevance as to Grayson's chances to make the team next spring.

How is it spin?  He hopes GRod is healthy and pitches well enough in ST to get a spot.  He’s certainly not going to say he is guaranteed a rotation spot.    Am I missing something?   Are you saying it’s already predetermined by Elias one way or the other?

He hopes.

Yep.  He hopes yet he controls it.  I mean I get he’s saying I hope he’s healthy and performing but ultimately as long as he’s healthy, he should be up.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is it spin?  He hopes GRod is healthy and pitches well enough in ST to get a spot.  He’s certainly not going to say he is guaranteed a rotation spot.    Am I missing something?   Are you saying it’s already predetermined by Elias one way or the other?

He did say last offseason that Grayson had a shot at the opening day roster and then gave him two innings in ST before sending him down.

As SG said above me, it's Elias' decision.  Pending health it is entirely within his control.

That's like saying I hope I have soup for lunch.  I'm making lunch, I can choose to make soup.

And yes, I think Elias has already made up his mind on the issue.  Now could he change his mind?  Sure.  Can Grayson get hurt?  Sure.  I think Grayson could struggle his way out of the OD roster but I don't think he can excel his way onto it.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He did say last offseason that Grayson had a shot at the opening day roster and then gave him two innings in ST before sending him down.

As SG said above me, it's Elias' decision.  Pending health it is entirely within his control.

That's like saying I hope I have soup for lunch.  I'm making lunch, I can choose to make soup.

And yes, I think Elias has already made up his mind on the issue.  Now could he change his mind?  Sure.  Can Grayson get hurt?  Sure.  I think Grayson could struggle his way out of the OD roster but I don't think he can excel his way onto it.

Maybe you’re right.  Maybe you’re wrong but aren’t you the one putting your spin on his comment?

He hopes.

His performance will decide what his chances are.  He will get more spring training opportunities next year than he did this year.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias should be angling for the extra draft picks.

Can I introduce you to Gunnar Henderson?

Or are we aiming to monopolize the podium?     Learning the CBA as it unfolds, I still haven't learned if these awards will be Comp A, Comp B, etc.     We'll see what Julio gets Seattle.     Do the 3rd place and 4th place finisher's teams get bonus picks if Adley is 2nd, but is unqualified.

Just going off memory, I thought it may have been 3 bonus picks, but only Top Two earn the full year of service.    But I don't know if all 3 picks still get given out if you have a gate-crasher like Rutschman.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

My take on that comment is that he will get an opportunity to compete for a starting rotation spot next spring. If he's fully healthy, I believe he will be in the rotation to start the year. 

This is also my take. If he goes out and has a terrible spring training though, he won't be on the OD roster (I would be surprised if that happens). Elias isn't the one throwing the pitches though

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Can I introduce you to Gunnar Henderson?

Or are we aiming to monopolize the podium?     Learning the CBA as it unfolds, I still haven't learned if these awards will be Comp A, Comp B, etc.     We'll see what Julio gets Seattle.     Do the 3rd place and 4th place finisher's teams get bonus picks if Adley is 2nd, but is unqualified.

Just going off memory, I thought it may have been 3 bonus picks, but only Top Two earn the full year of service.    But I don't know if all 3 picks still get given out if you have a gate-crasher like Rutschman.

I had no idea they had already awarded Gunnar the ROY for next season.

Cool.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree.  It's not that simple.   Yes the choice is his,  but there are so many factors.  What if Grayson is terrible is spring training?  Should he still stay on the MLB team just because Elias hopes he will?  Or if he's injured again,  should we keep him on the roster because it's the outcome we hoped to see?  I may want soup, but when I go to open the can if the soup is spoiled and rotten, well I guess I'm not having soup after all.  I think that Elias hopes Grayson shows up healthy for spring training, and shows that he belongs in the majors.  We all likely 'hope' that.   But just because the person who will end up making the final decision hopes that,  it doesn't invalidate the hope just because the final decision is in his hands.   

• Upvote 2