Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

On 4/16/2022 at 12:45 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Witt is hitting .107 now.  Obviously small sample size, but if Adley was hitting .107, people would be jumping all over him.

The speed of which this board would turn on Adley.... gives me the shivers just thinking about it. 

On 4/16/2022 at 3:30 AM, Frobby said:

Completely true.   However, just like it wouldn’t worry me much with Adley, I’m sure Witt will do fine.   He has to adjust to the level of competition, and eventually he will.  

He's up to .146.   I'm rooting for his average to stay below the Mendoza line.

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Someone on the board is always going on about Witt being the better draft choice. I forget who, maybe webbrick? 

He’s a CJ Abrams guy.  .133/.235/.167 to date.   But, I expect he’ll be good eventually.   

SG has advocated for Witt.

To me, you can drive yourself crazy with this stuff.   I just want the guy we picked to turn out to be a very good player.   If someone else turns out to be a bit better, I’ll live with it.   I just don’t want our guys to be big disappointments.  

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The red flag on Witt for me was age.  He was nearly a year older than most other players in that high school senior draft.

Agreed but I must say he flew through the minors so that age issue is irrelevant now.   He's 21 and that's a very young debut for the majors.   I think the age became a non-factor by last year when he tore up AAA.   I suspect he'll snap out of it and be pretty good but if he fails we won't have to hear from a certain person telling us how Witt was "one of his guys".

46 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why does that matter?  Maybe he flunked a year of school.  It doesn't matter as long as he can play baseball.

It matters because age is very relevant at that age.   To be one year older than your competitors makes a difference.   Now having said that, Witt and the Met's kid, Beatty?, have proven that the evaluators were correct and they were just plain good.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You weren't here for the Grayson is the O's #1 prospect talk last season?

To me, that was more a compliment to Rodriguez than a dig on Rutschman.   And I’m still not sure it’s wrong.  I was the one who started that thread.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s a CJ Abrams guy.  .133/.235/.167 to date.   But, I expect he’ll be good eventually.   

SG has advocated for Witt.

To me, you can drive yourself crazy with this stuff.   I just want the guy we picked to turn out to be a very good player.   If someone else turns out to be a bit better, I’ll live with it.   I just don’t want our guys to be big disappointments.  

You are very smart and enjoy your posts but just gotta strongly disagree here. Not missing on the first round is critically important and better odds for success in the first. That’s why Lacy & Lawlar should have been the picks, def Lawlar. I think we should give Cowser time, he looked good so not too concerned there, just for a rebuilding franchise, gotta go SS over corner OF.