Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

On 4/13/2022 at 8:24 PM, emmett16 said:

Cowser is OPSing 1.097 so we can get just as excited over a SSS. 

This was posted less than 2 weeks ago.

Now everyone is convinced the sky is falling?

Maybe let's take a breath and re evaluate when he gets closer to 150 PA.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aglets said:

This was posted less than 2 weeks ago.

Now everyone is convinced the sky is falling?

Maybe let's take a breath and re evaluate when he gets closer to 150 PA.

The sky isn't falling but it's not the OPS, it's the strikeouts and the high percentage of them.   There must be a reason.   I don't think Cowser, all of a sudden, is a high strikeout batter.  He's either making an adjustment trying to tap into more power, gotten into a really bad habit at the plate, or needs his eyes checked.    I can't think of another explanation.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's too early to panic, but the early results this year for the Orioles ability to take a guy who can hit line drives for average and turn that into power is not looking good so far. 

Are there other examples besides Cowser? Do we know for a fact that's what they're trying to do with Cowser? I agree it's the most likely reason. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Are there other examples besides Cowser? Do we know for a fact that's what they're trying to do with Cowser? I agree it's the most likely reason. 

I agree that we don't know for sure, but we have to hope it's some kind of swing and approach thing because if not, then there are major red flags for a guy who came out of a small college program who is striking out at his rate in High A-ball.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree that we don't know for sure, but we have to hope it's some kind of swing and approach thing because if not, then there are major red flags for a guy who came out of a small college program who is striking out at his rate in High A-ball.

I guess if they're going to try to get him to change something, this is the year to do it and hope it clicks at some point. Gotta find out at least. If not, maybe they can revert and he just does his thing.

I know the O's are in state secrets mode, but surely somebody can get word on this somehow. Frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess if they're going to try to get him to change something, this is the year to do it and hope it clicks at some point. Gotta find out at least. If not, maybe they can revert and he just does his thing.

I know the O's are in state secrets mode, but surely somebody can get word on this somehow. Frustrating. 

Unfortunately for the next two weeks they will be home so we get the Cal Ripken Jr.  bluelight special Ironbirds broadcast so we're not going to get anything there. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Unfortunately for the next two weeks they will be home so we get the Cal Ripken Jr.  bluelight special Ironbirds broadcast so we're not going to get anything there. 

I'm hoping to go to a game this weekend.   I'll see what I can figure out, heh.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2022 at 9:54 AM, RZNJ said:

The sky isn't falling but it's not the OPS, it's the strikeouts and the high percentage of them.   There must be a reason.   I don't think Cowser, all of a sudden, is a high strikeout batter.  He's either making an adjustment trying to tap into more power, gotten into a really bad habit at the plate, or needs his eyes checked.    I can't think of another explanation.

He could also be playing with an injury. 

From the descriptions it sounds like liners and grounders vs. gappers and long flies. AKA Cowser original.  Between last night and tonight I believe that's 5 hits and only 1 strikeout.  Hopefully, he's back on track and whatever funk he was in is over.  If he's really back, it would lead credence to an attempted swing adjustment that he had trouble with.