John Rhodes 2022

waroriole

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Because the guy last year was pretty much a singles hitter and they are trying to get him to tap into his power.   

I knew that. Should have said so but he just started…the power would likely come, no? Just seems too early to make adjustments on a first rounder that’s hitting, ya know?

19 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I knew that. Should have said so but he just started…the power would likely come, no? Just seems too early to make adjustments on a first rounder that’s hitting, ya know?

Depends on how major they were and how it was presented.  From what read they showed him some data and it sounded like suggestions were made.  It was not super specific but Cowser made it sound like those adjustments were minor in nature.  I didn't see him say anything negative regarding that.  In fact, he does seem to be driving the ball more this year. It seems to me that the adjustment he had trouble with is the apparent hitting philosophy organization wide where a hitter should look in a certain zone early in the count and take pitches that might be strikes but not in that zone.

One would assume that when they call Gunnar Henderson the "poster child" for the organization that he has taken that approach and run with it.

Easier said than done. It doesn't sound like anything is being forced on anyone. Suggestions are made. Philosophies discussed. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Depends on how major they were and how it was presented.  From what read they showed him some data and it sounded like suggestions were made.  It was not super specific but Cowser made it sound like those adjustments were minor in nature.  I didn't see him say anything negative regarding that.  In fact, he does seem to be driving the ball more this year. It seems to me that the adjustment he had trouble with is the apparent hitting philosophy organization wide where a hitter should look in a certain zone early in the count and take pitches that might be strikes but not in that zone.

One would assume that when they call Gunnar Henderson the "poster child" for the organization that he has taken that approach and run with it.

Easier said than done. It doesn't sound like anything is being forced on anyone. Suggestions are made. Philosophies discussed. 

Good summary. A swing change is a very different undertaking than making mere minor adjustments. And changes in thought process or approach can be tough for a guy who has had success at every level thus far. Sometimes, a coach has to watch a player fail before change or adjustment is felt to be necessary by the player. They have to buy in, otherwise you’ll be wasting time. The player trusts what brought them success, until they have it proven to them that what you teach is better, and why.

I don’t claim to know what was done with Colton, but listening to and reading his comments gave me the thought I described above. This is a process. When you try to get ahead of things, it does not always work out. That said, no big deal. He learned some things about himself, and he’s better for the struggle. I bet he crushes now for the rest of the season. Not so much for HR’s, especially in Aberdeen. But I do think he’ll be a doubles machine. I like the Markakis comp a lot. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, waroriole said:

I wonder if he’ll hit better when he gets out of Aberdeen like almost everyone else. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Rhodes just got promoted to Bowie. 

Where there's your answer. Rhodes has been up and down this year. We'll see if he gets the Bowie bump or he's about the same with a little more pop like Norby.

My impressions from the week of John Rhodes is that he looked like he'd been in AA a lot longer than just a week. 

@Tony-OH sees routes and so on much better than I will ever be able to, but he seemed to cover RF well, at times meeting Cowser almost in CF. 

And the arm? Two really impressive throws from RF to 3B.  The first nabbed the runner who came in standing as a result of Prieto's deke.  The second, a couple games later, just missed because this time Prieto's deke ended up being too nonchalant and the ball got under his glove into the dugout.

At the plate, what I recall is someone taking the same approach of waiting for a pitch to hit and striking out a bit too often, but also saw him making good contact with runners in scoring position.  To the point where I was looking for his bat when they had men on base. 

Pretty good size guy.  

John Rhodes.JPEG

Edited by justD
I may have misremembered the first throw, might have been Cowser with that one
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

He is a big body guy.  It's good to hear he has the arm to play RF.  I'm a little perplexed by his base stealing, given his size.  Is he really that fast? Or is he just good at reading a pitcher and getting good jumps?

Aberdeen is in a league that is testing the new base size, pitch clock, throw overs to first...  Each of those (to some degree) help the baserunner.  I doubt his steal rate keeps up in AA.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, justD said:

My impressions from the week of John Rhodes is that he looked like he'd been in AA a lot longer than just a week. 

@Tony-OH sees routes and so on much better than I will ever be able to, but he seemed to cover RF well, at times meeting Cowser almost in CF. 

And the arm? Two really impressive throws from RF to 3B.  The first nabbed the runner who came in standing as a result of Prieto's deke.  The second, a couple games later, just missed because this time Prieto's deke ended up being too nonchalant and the ball got under his glove into the dugout.

At the plate, what I recall is someone taking the same approach of waiting for a pitch to hit and striking out a bit too often, but also saw him making good contact with runners in scoring position.  To the point where I was looking for his bat when they had men on base. 

Pretty good size guy.  

John Rhodes.JPEG

I love these write-ups you've posted on various guys!  Thanks!

• Thanks 1