Judge turns down 7 year 213M extension

jabba72

General manager Brian Cashman said the Yankees offered the face of the franchise a deal that was worth an average annual value of $30.5 million over the next seven years for a total of $213.5 million. That is in addition to either $17 million or $21 million this season, Judge’s final year of arbitration, making the sum of the Yankees’ offer eight years for either $230.5 million or $234.5 million.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/yankees-aaron-judge-cant-reach-deal-after-213-5-million-ofer/

https://nypost.com/2022/04/08/yankees-aaron-judge-cant-reach-deal-after-213-5-million-ofer/

Judge is another player taking a big risk turning down this money if you ask me. He'll almost be 31 next year when this deal would have started. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, waroriole said:

Meh, we all saw what Kris Bryant got right? Never bet against an owner doing something stupid in FA. 

That said, if I were his agent I’d have advised him to take it. 

I saw what Bryant didn’t get: 7/$213 mm.  And he’s a year younger than Judge will be when he’s a free agent.  So yeah, Judge is better than Bryant, but I still think 7/$213 mm at ages 31-37 is highly questionable.   

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw what Bryant didn’t get: 7/$213 mm.  And he’s a year younger than Judge will be when he’s a free agent.  So yeah, Judge is better than Bryant, but I still think 7/$213 mm at ages 31-37 is highly questionable.   

Well, Bryant got 7/182 and Judge has been a better and more consistent hitter. It’s likely he’ll be the big ticket in a weak FA market, so 7/213+ is a reasonable gamble. I just wouldn’t advise it as his agent because I doubt he gets a lot more than that. 

Judge seems to be a huge star for the Yankees.  Someone they haven't had since Jeter retired.   Maybe he's not quite Hall of Fame caliber, but on a slightly lower tier.  It would be like the O's trading Ripken because he wanted a few extra millions.  I don't know much about marketing, but I'm sure the Yankees make millions off Judge every year and I assume he is their #1 draw. 

21 hours ago, waroriole said:

Well, Bryant got 7/182 and Judge has been a better and more consistent hitter. It’s likely he’ll be the big ticket in a weak FA market, so 7/213+ is a reasonable gamble. I just wouldn’t advise it as his agent because I doubt he gets a lot more than that. 

Look at it this way: would you rather have Bryant’s age 30 season, or Aaron Judge’s age 37 season?   I’ll stipulate that I’d rather have Judge for the age 31-36 seasons that both would be under contract.   But I’d much rather have Bryant’s 2022 than Judge’s 2029 season.  And, I’d rather have the extra $31 mm to spend elsewhere.  

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Look at it this way: would you rather have Bryant’s age 30 season, or Aaron Judge’s age 37 season?   I’ll stipulate that I’d rather have Judge for the age 31-36 seasons that both would be under contract.   But I’d much rather have Bryant’s 2022 than Judge’s 2029 season.  And, I’d rather have the extra $31 mm to spend elsewhere.  

I mean, yes, the very best year of Bryant’s contract is better than the very worst year of Judge’s contract. It’s not enough to make up for the other 6 years. I’d much rather have Judge at 7/213 than Bryant at 7/182. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I mean, yes, the very best year of Bryant’s contract is better than the very worst year of Judge’s contract. It’s not enough to make up for the other 6 years. I’d much rather have Judge at 7/213 than Bryant at 7/182. 

I dunno.   I can’t think of too many huge guys like Judge who played well into their mid-to-late 30’s.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I dunno.   I can’t think of too many huge guys like Judge who played well into their mid-to-late 30’s.

I think he made a mistake turning this down. He's not off to a great start either after 4 games-646 OPS. 

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think he made a mistake turning this down. He's not off to a great start either after 4 games-646 OPS. 

Well, I wouldn’t worry about 4 games.   I do think he’s taking a sizeable gamble, but we’ll know by next spring whether it paid off.  

On 4/12/2022 at 10:53 AM, Frobby said:

Well, I wouldn’t worry about 4 games.   I do think he’s taking a sizeable gamble, but we’ll know by next spring whether it paid off.  

At some point there's going to be a shortage of teams willing to give long term deals at $30 mill/yr.  I like that Boston pre-emptively signed Story to take Bogarts' place next year.