Judge turns down 7 year 213M extension

jabba72

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

13 games in and Judge is batting 255 with a 744 OPS. That is not a $30M per year salary kind of performance. I guess he can turn things around but he really should have taken that offer. I doubt its still on the table. 

Bigger guys like Judge don't always age gracefully in baseball and there is a good chance he's going to regret not taking this offer.

It's a good contract for a player who has struggled to stay consistently healthy and will almost certainly need to move to 1B/DH as he reaches his 30's. 

9 hours ago, jabba72 said:

13 games in and Judge is batting 255 with a 744 OPS. That is not a $30M per year salary kind of performance. I guess he can turn things around but he really should have taken that offer. I doubt its still on the table. 

Judge hit 2 HR tonight and his OPS is up to .908.  Don't read to much into early stats w/ such a small sample size.

22 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I don’t think 13 games significantly changes anything.   He could have two good days and be over .900.   

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Definitely rooting for this guy to have a huge year and then strong arm the Yankees into giving him a massive 10 year offer.  

Even better if he spurns them and goes somewhere else.  But still.

I'm less sure on the spurns part.   The peak Adley teams are going to have near $300mm of Yankees to beat.   I think I'm more rooting for him to get the 8th-9th-10th year and the AAV closer to 40. 

I'll pay my guy Santander Mancini money for his Arb4 Age-29 2024 and hope to crush the 2024 Yankees at $$$/WAR versus Age-32 Judge and his large muscle groups.   I would have said Production too if Heston Kjerstad was becoming who Mike Elias thought he was.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Judge seems to be a huge star for the Yankees.  Someone they haven't had since Jeter retired.   Maybe he's not quite Hall of Fame caliber, but on a slightly lower tier.  It would be like the O's trading Ripken because he wanted a few extra millions.  I don't know much about marketing, but I'm sure the Yankees make millions off Judge every year and I assume he is their #1 draw. 

Wait, are you saying that Ripken is a lower tier than Jeter?

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Wait, are you saying that Ripken is a lower tier than Jeter?

No, I am saying that Judge is a huge draw for them.  The kind of player that draws in fans, that the Yankees haven't had since Jeter.  Like Ripken drew in huge amounts of fans and money for the O's.  I'm saying that Judge's fan appeal makes him more than just a player where you're playing for his production.  Just like when Ripken was making big money (for then) at the end of his career but his production was declining.  He was still making the O's huge amounts of money.

• 1 month later...

As the puzzle pieces move around for the rest of the decade, and knowing the Peak Adley teams will have near $300mm+ of Yankees to beat even if Hank stays in "My dad was crazy" mode, I'm pretty strongly rooting for NYY retention at a player-friendly price point.

The 2025 Yankees have so far committed about $90mm to Cole, Stanton, LeMahieu and Hicks, all of whom will be about 35 that season.