Orioles option DJ Stewart

Legend_Of_Joey

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not arguing for Stewart getting another chance, frankly I'd rather see Diaz before he gets hurt again.

But I don't think you can make a case that he had "many opportunities...with everyday play.".

He's had 622 plate appearances over five seasons.

I can definitely make a case. The past two years, he had several extended chances where he played pretty much everyday, especially when Santander and Hays were injured. He showed no signs of improvement. Slow bat, and he has lost whatever moderate speed he once had. Mediocre fastballs mystified him. 

In 2021, he started 65 games in the OF, and 12 at DH. .204/.324.374/.698 with 89 K’s in 318 plate appearances. He had the one 10 day period in 2020, where he hit 7 HR’s like Babe Ruth. That really skews his career stats. 

Hyde stopped playing him, because he is awful. They were patient with him. They gave him every chance. He failed. He was not claimed by the other 29 teams. He is currently emergency insurance for OF. As you said, in five years, he had his shot. If he had been better, he would have gotten more opportunities earlier. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I can definitely make a case. The past two years, he had several extended chances where he played pretty much everyday, especially when Santander and Hays were injured. He showed no signs of improvement. Slow bat, and he has lost whatever moderate speed he once had. Mediocre fastballs mystified him. 

In 2021, he started 65 games in the OF, and 12 at DH. .204/.324.374/.698 with 89 K’s in 318 plate appearances. He had the one 10 day period in 2020, where he hit 7 HR’s like Babe Ruth. That really skews his career stats. 

Hyde stopped playing him, because he is awful. They were patient with him. They gave him every chance. He failed. He was not claimed by the other 29 teams. He is currently emergency insurance for OF. As you said, in five years, he had his shot. If he had been better, he would have gotten more opportunities earlier. 

I guess I'm just being nitpicky again because, to me, a seasons worth of at bats over five years isn't numerous chances with everyday play.

I'm fine with moving on but he didn't get a multiple chances to just go out there every day thrive or struggle.

And if you aren't trying to win games for years on end you should be doing that.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess I'm just being nitpicky again because, to me, a seasons worth of at bats over five years isn't numerous chances with everyday play.

I'm fine with moving on but he didn't get a multiple chances to just go out there every day thrive or struggle.

And if you aren't trying to win games for years on end you should be doing that.

I don’t disagree, not entirely. He did not get many chances early in his career. But I don’t think he impressed enough either. He did move into the starter role in 2019, and then had a fly ball hit him in the head. He had other misplays and got himself injured. I think it was an ankle, a knee and something else. The guy had some chances along the way. 2021 was really the first time where he played a lot. 77 starts is a very good amount. My eyes cannot unsee his slow bat getting beaten over and over again by 90 MPH FB’s. 

In those years, they had Adam Jones (2018), Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Hays, Mullins and McKenna. They also had immortals Dwight Smith Jr., Stevie Wilkerson, Keon Broxton, Jace Peterson, Renato Nunez (DH), Mason Williams, Joey Rickard, Mark Trumbo, etc…who they gave at bats to over Stewart. I think that tells us how they valued him. 

They kept Stewart and the others and moved Yaz. I think Stewart was always at the mediocre side of those in the organization. He was kept around because he is a LH bat, with some above average raw power, who might figure it out. He didn’t. They evaluated him on a daily basis, in his preparation and such.

I guess he could do a Yaz on us. Honestly, good for him. He’s not a good fit here. Maybe another team has room for a guy who can be an everyday mediocre DH. Not an AL East team. We cannot get our panties in a twist if a guy goes elsewhere and has decent results. 

11 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

This simply isn't accurate.

As I pointed out, the only month where he played every day, starting 23 consecutive games in September 2020, he had an OPS over .900.

He didn't start more than 17 games in a month in any given month last year. The closest you can get to a month-long stretch last season when he started pretty much every day was May 24th to June 23rd of 2021, where he started 21 of 28 games during that stretch and he batted .206/.293/.438. with an unsustainably low .233 BABIP. And he was still on the bench for 25 percent of those games. 

He has had the opportunity to play every day exactly once in his career and had an OPS of .907 during that time. 

You can argue that (until now) his minor league numbers haven't merited getting a sustained opportunity, I might even agree that he has ever really deserved a chance to start everyday, but the idea that he has gotten one and failed simply isn't borne out by the facts.

• Upvote 1

I think what cost Stewart a chance to get an extended look is his defense. He plays OF where we have several options (and doesn't even play that well). It's a bit of a Renato Nunez situation except less power and more walks. Given his defensive liability, he had to really rake to get much of a chance. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

If Mancini and/or Santander are traded, I think Stewart could thrive in a DH role. I would like to see him get a 2nd chance. Same for Kelvin Guiterrez

I’m not sure if he would thrive but I have no problem giving him another chance to at least show he if he can be part of a platoon.  

The Os potentially have have a lot of guys they are going to be rotating in and out of the DH spot to give playeds rest, etc…DJ could be a guy who gets 250-300 at bats as a lefty DH.  Can he excel in that role?  Maybe.  Can he be a left handed Steve Pearce?  Definitely possible imo.  It’s also possible he’s playing in the Indy league in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

I don't ever want to see DJ in an Orioles uniform again. Whether he received multiple chances or not, I have seen all I need/want to see. He is a bad baseball player (when compared to MLB peers) and has little to no potential to change that. I'd rather see any one of a half dozen borderline prospects than DJ Stewart. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't ever want to see DJ in an Orioles uniform again. Whether he received multiple chances or not, I have seen all I need/want to see. He is a bad baseball player (when compared to MLB peers) and has little to no potential to change that. I'd rather see any one of a half dozen borderline prospects than DJ Stewart. 

Did he do something to you personally?! Seems like it’s in the team’s best interests to find out this year while the reps aren’t going to impact meaningful games.

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

This simply isn't accurate.

As I pointed out, the only month where he played every day, starting 23 consecutive games in September 2020, he had an OPS over .900.

He didn't start more than 17 games in a month in any given month last year. The closest you can get to a month-long stretch last season when he started pretty much every day was May 24th to June 23rd of 2021, where he started 21 of 28 games during that stretch and he batted .206/.293/.438. with an unsustainably low .233 BABIP. And he was still on the bench for 25 percent of those games. 

He has had the opportunity to play every day exactly once in his career and had an OPS of .907 during that time. 

You can argue that (until now) his minor league numbers haven't merited getting a sustained opportunity, I might even agree that he has ever really deserved a chance to start everyday, but the idea that he has gotten one and failed simply isn't borne out by the facts.

I read your earlier post. I agree that he had some limited opportunities early. Though when he has had the opportunity, he got injured a few times. I would say that 77 starts in one season is ample opportunity. You disagree. Cool. I laid out the rest of my argument already. No need to rehash. Bottom line, they don’t believe in him. I think that is why he is where he is. 

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He is 25 and on the 40-man roster. Teams typically don't carry guys over 25 on their 40-man roster who aren't in the Majors.

I understand that is traditional pre-COVID thinking. Stewart was 28 before being DFA’d. I do not think it is now or never for Vavra, not based on his age. The injuries have limited them, but he’s got two more option years after this.

That said, I would say he is in danger of being caught and passed by Prieto and Norby. Arauz might just be another guy in his way, though it’s too soon to be sure. Urias is another guy too. However, an intelligent LH bat with great contact skills with decent athleticism and baseball acumen is going to get a long chance. Or maybe traded. 

13 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Did he do something to you personally?! Seems like it’s in the team’s best interests to find out this year while the reps aren’t going to impact meaningful games.

LOL, no he hasn't done anything to me personally. He is just a player that I don't enjoy watching play the game. We have way too many better prospects in the system to spend time trying to see if he might be, possible could be, you never know, a league average DH. 

• Upvote 4

I'd like to see Stewart get an extended chance. I think there's a hitter there.

I don't think that scattered PA or even a few weeks of consistent PA is a fair way to judge a hitter no matter how bad they look. Look at Adley as an example. You either give them an extended chance no matter the results or you don't bother with them. I don't think DJ has really gotten that extended chance.