Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

10 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

Mateo is like a 550 OPS?

Yes, and .343 in June with 23 strikeouts in 55 PA.   He looks completely lost at the moment offensively.   I think they’ll give Mateo another month to snap out of it, but they can’t continue with him forever if he keeps hitting like this.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, and .343 in June with 23 strikeouts in 55 PA.   He looks completely lost at the moment offensively.   I think they’ll give Mateo another month to snap out of it, but they can’t continue with him forever if he keeps hitting like this.  

Yikes. I had not looked at his June stats. 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mateo struck out looking late in the game yesterday and he took a long time before leaving the plate and walking back to the dugout.  He was frustrated - frustrated at the call.  I think he was also frustrated at himself.  It looked to me, at that moment, he realized the precarious nature of his future with the organization.  Like the  weight of his career was crumbling under his failures at the plate.  I really like Mateo.  I think he brings an excitement and skillset we don't see a lot in Baltimore. My heart really sank watching his pain in that one at bat.  I hope he can turn it around. 

Mateo is too often committed to pulling the ball.  His plate coverage is not good.  He often can't reach balls on the outside corner because of it.  It's probably too late but I'd either like to see him move closer to the plate and continue to pull everything or, preferably wait on the pitch and inside out the ball to CF and RF and just accept that he'll get jammed on inside fastballs.  He has bat speed and a half way decent swing.  He just over commits to the fastball and makes terrible swing decisions because of it.

Kind of what I'd like to see Ryan McKenna do while I'm at it.  McKenna actually has a beautiful stroke to RF but it's seldomly seen.

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

O's minor league system-leading 14th home run tonight. Westburg is ready for the bigs. Stick him at 3B, demote Nevin, and then move Westburg to 2B to replace Odor once Urias comes back.

Why do you prefer Urias at third and Westburg at second rather than the other way around?

I’m not saying that’s not the better configuration but Urias seems a better fit at second and Westburg has spent more time at third than second in the minors. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Why do you prefer Urias at third and Westburg at second rather than the other way around?

I’m not saying that’s not the better configuration but Urias seems a better fit at second and Westburg has spent more time at third than second in the minors. 

Other way around would work as well, but I consider Westburg to be this team's future regular 2B. Get those reps going early.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Seems like a long time ago that people were worried about him during his horrendous slump.

It's only normal although I felt more confident in Westburg coming out of it than Cowser at the time.   Westburg had already proven he could hit AA pitching at the end of last season and the beginning of this one.   It just felt more like a slump that he would find his way out of.   

Obviously, Henderson is 2-3 years younger and has the better plate discipline but you have to like where Westburg is as a prospect.   Considering the ineptitude of our current infield offensively, these two are going to be a huge improvement and probably improve the defense at 3B and 2B if that's where they end up.