Shortstop playing time watch

Just Regular

1st weekend returns from the Baysox:

Friday = Gunnar (SS, 3B, 3B)

Saturday = Westburg (3B, SS, 2B)

Sunday = Ortiz (2B, 2B, SS)

Rare is the MLB shortstop who has played 2/3rds of minor league games off position.

MinorLeagueBaseball website shows Cadyn Grenier with four Norfolk defensive shortstop games in the opening week.

Good thread, and we should update this weekly or so.   I doubt they’ll divvy up SS into thirds for long.  For one thing, either Ortiz or Westburg could find themselves in Norfolk if they play well in Bowie for 4-6 weeks.   (I don’t see Henderson moving that quickly.)   Beyond that, the O’s eventually need to decide who the Alpha Dog is.   But I don’t mind letting them play this game for a few weeks.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:06 PM, Just Regular said:

This week (Baysox just 5 games with Saturday rainout)

Westburg: 2B-2B-3B-3B-SS

Gunnar: 3B-3B-SS-SS-3B

Ortiz: SS-SS-2B-2B-2B

Looks like maybe 2-game shifts; only Westburg bouncing among all three positions.

It's going to be very interesting to see if the Orioles develop plan of moving guys around to different positions from game to game is going to produce guys who are very good at multiple positions, or guys without a ton of experience of playing their primary positions the major league level?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It's going to be very interesting to see if the Orioles develop plan of moving guys around to different positions from game to game is going to produce guys who are very good at multiple positions, or guys without a ton of experience of playing their primary positions the major league level?

Among the three IF prospects at Bowie, if you had to play each of them at one position where would you align them? 

I think common sense tells us that it's probably better for development to get comfortable at one position.  Once Westburg is promoted to Norfolk that should allow both he and Henderson to get every day at bats at shortstop.   I'm fine with moving around Ortiz considering his future role is likely to be a utility.  

22 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Among the three IF prospects at Bowie, if you had to play each of them at one position where would you align them? 

I think common sense tells us that it's probably better for development to get comfortable at one position.  Once Westburg is promoted to Norfolk that should allow both he and Henderson to get every day at bats at shortstop.   I'm fine with moving around Ortiz considering his future role is likely to be a utility.  

Gunnar at 3B,  Westburg 2B, Ortiz SS.

From what I have seen so far Mateo has far and away the best arm and range at SS.  So I don't know if any of these three beat him out for that job.   Gunnar arm fits and range fit well at 3B.  Westburg can surely be a MLB 2B.  I will have to see a lot more of Ortiz to think he has the bat to be more then a UIF in the majors.

Need to see more to be sure but this is where I am leaning.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Gunnar at 3B,  Westburg 2B, Ortiz SS.

From what I have seen so far Mateo has far and away the best arm and range at SS.  So I don't know if any of these three beat him out for that job.   Gunnar arm fits and range fit well at 3B.  Westburg can surely be a MLB 2B.  I will have to see a lot more of Ortiz to think he has the bat to be more then a UIF in the majors.

Need to see more to be sure but this is where I am leaning.

I was curious to see what Tony thought but I would not give the majority of my shortstop reps to the guy who projects as a utility man, even if that's the best defensive alignment.  The hope should be that Westburg or Henderson can develop into an everyday shortstop.  

Second base is a pretty easy position to acclimate to compared to SS and 3B.  The bounces are easier and less arm is required. 

53 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Henderson's best fit is 3B at the major league level. Westburg can really play all three effectively but may be best fit at 3B or 2B. Ortiz is the best defensively at SS but not sure if the bat will play for full-time gig. 

Honestly, I'm not saying I disagree with how they are developing these guy, but rather suggesting it's an interesting way. In my mind, some of these guys will traded so they are trying to show they have some value at SS.

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Henderson's best fit is 3B at the major league level. Westburg can really play all three effectively but may be best fit at 3B or 2B. Ortiz is the best defensively at SS but not sure if the bat will play for full-time gig. 

Honestly, I'm not saying I disagree with how they are developing these guy, but rather suggesting it's an interesting way. In my mind, some of these guys will traded so they are trying to show they have some value at SS.

Makes even more sense that one or more gets traded when you consider that Norby's a really good prospect too, plus Mayo could be a 3B.

I put this in Vavra's thread as well. but I think the thing to keep in mind is if you're constructing a roster, you need a bunch of bats that have positional versatility, in addition to your 5(ish) guys who are lineup every day players. If these three can handle moving positions around, you increase your roster flexibility at the major league level. And with the amount of shifting teams do nowadays, your 3b is going to be playing SS several times a game 

I find it interesting that Westburg seems to be the one moving around the most, covering all three infield positions whereas Ortiz is 2B and SS and Henderson is just 3B and SS. I think that is a bit telling as well. Perhaps given Ortiz's questions at the dish they don't view 3B as a viable option as his bat won't play as well there. And it would seem to tell the story that if Henderson can't stick at SS his position is 3B. Though I would think if Ortiz is seen as a UTL player at the big league level it would make more sense for him to see all three positions.