Raise your hand if you think Watkins was a better choice than Bradish?

Tony-OH

5 hours ago, O's84 said:

Don't worry guys, Matt Harvey is on the way!

4 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Is that a threat?

Because it really sounds like a threat.

:leaving:

I meant it as a joke, but I wouldn't put anything past this organization.

This is the team y’all wanted.

All offseason I argued about how they should have tried to field a much more capable team this year.  They elected not to and, in true OH fashion, many of you gave them excuse after excuse as to why 2022 isn’t the year to try to be better.

So, no complaining allowed from those of you that wanted this because Elias and his group of computers are giving you exactly what you asked for.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is the team y’all wanted.

All offseason I argued about how they should have tried to field a much more capable team this year.  They elected not to and, in true OH fashion, many of you gave them excuse after excuse as to why 2022 isn’t the year to try to be better.

So, no complaining allowed from those of you that wanted this because Elias and his group of computers are giving you exactly what you asked for.

Obviously nobody wanted this. The pushback you got was when you just repeated the same thing in every thread. 

There’s no reason for Bradish not to get the start on Monday in Oakland. He’s lined up as far as days off. It’s a big ballpark, which can be great for a first MLB start. And we don’t have a 5th starter right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Obviously nobody wanted this. The pushback you got was when you just repeated the same thing in every thread. 

There’s no reason for Bradish not to get the start on Monday in Oakland. He’s lined up as far as days off. It’s a big ballpark, which can be great for a first MLB start. And we don’t have a 5th starter right now. 

Well, you are either lying to yourself or jus ignored things because many people are fine with this.

As for me repeating it in threads..it’s the absolutely more overwhelming topic of the Orioles right now, at least at the ML level.  Almost every conversation comes back to it and it’s not my fault so many of you are fine with losing.

Its also mentioned all the time that we are headed in the right direction or that the farm system is highly ranked or whatever positive comment you want to say.  However, those comments fit into yours (and  many others) personal narratives, so they are fine to be repeated over and over again.

But hey, it’s all part of a grand plan, so we should all accept it. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bases loaded..no outs.  Chance to take a lead late in the game.  Owings, McKenna and Mateo come Up to hit.  

But yea, we are trying to win games.  Lol

I thought everyone here liked Mateo and wanted to see what he had. Can’t do that and then complain about him coming up to hit it big spots.

McKenna should be a player you pinch hit for, not the one doing the pinch hitting. Hyde wasting his bench in the 6th was a problem.

If you’re arguing for Odor (or even worse stewart) as the better option though, tbh you’ve already lost the plot

I also thought Bradish should have made the team and would like to know why he didn't. I am also not super upset about it. They are trying to find opportunities for a lot of AAAA guys as well as prospects. Some of them might turn into something. Perez and Baker look like keepers. 

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I thought everyone here liked Mateo and wanted to see what he had. Can’t do that and then complain about him coming up to hit it big spots.

McKenna should be a player you pinch hit for, not the one doing the pinch hitting. Hyde wasting his bench in the 6th was a problem.

If you’re arguing for Odor (or even worse stewart) as the better option though, tbh you’ve already lost the plot

First of all, I don’t mind Mateo being one of those guys but Mateo isn’t an everyday player and they should have upgraded from him and if they had, he may not be up.  There are some on here that actually think he could be an everyday option.  I’m not one of those people.

And no, of course I’m not asking for Odor there.  The idea that you are even mentioning that is ridiculous considering my stance on him.

However, the idea that you can even mention him is the damn point.  He shouldn’t even be here.  They made no attempt to upgrade those spots.  It’s pathetic but hey, it’s all part of the grand plan.  Lol. 

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, I don’t mind Mateo being one of those guys but Mateo isn’t an everyday player and they should have upgraded from him and if they had, he may not be up.  There are some on here that actually think he could be an everyday option.  I’m not one of those people.

And no, of course I’m not asking for Odor there.  The idea that you are even mentioning that is ridiculous considering my stance on him.

However, the idea that you can even mention him is the damn point.  He shouldn’t even be here.  They made no attempt to upgrade those spots.  It’s pathetic but hey, it’s all part of the grand plan.  Lol. 

At this point the question should be what is the plan? 

There are teams on both ends of the spectrum that opted to start high end prospects at the ML level. Baltimore decided not to. What exactly are they waiting for?

As I’ve posted elsewhere, next Monday, April 18, is the first day on which players can be called up without earning a full year of service.    So, I could argue that whether I’d rather have watched Watkins or Bradish pitch last night is the wrong question.   The right question is whether I’d rather have watched Bradish pitch last night than watch him pitch for the entire 2028 season.   The answer is a very easy no.

Putting aside service time issues (which, I think, are a very important factor), I don’t mind letting Bradish or any pitcher get into a nice groove in AAA before debuting in the majors.   I might feel differently if we were a contending team, but we’re not.   

So now it’s a question of how long Bradish (and Grayson, after his start this week) stay in the minors from here.  I don’t think either gets called up next week, because that would be too brazen with respect to avoiding the full year of service.   I’d say any time after 3-4 starts, and I hope it won’t be much longer than that.  Of course, they could push a debut back to mid-June to try to avoid them getting enough service to earn Super-Two status, but I don’t think they’ll take it that far if the pitchers are doing very well in AAA.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish isn’t the type of prospect you need to worry about playing the service time game with.  

I would say that pretty much no pitcher is worth playing service time games.  Even Rodriguez, I'm as excited to see him as anyone but chances of him being healthy and productive in 6 years are low. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I would say that pretty much no pitcher is worth playing service time games.  Even Rodriguez, I'm as excited to see him as anyone but chances of him being healthy and productive in 6 years are low. 

I couldn’t disagree more, from a pure business point of view.   You never know which pitchers will be the ones who are healthy and productive six years from now, so it makes sense to preserve service time for all of them, since the cost of doing so in terms of this team’s competitiveness in 2022 is basically zero.

Case in point: John Means.   He’s got 3.007 years of service and is under team control through 2024.   Do you not think he’d have a lot more value now if he was under control through 2025 instead?  Yet nobody thought he was “the type of pitcher you play service time games with” when he debuted.   But now I wish we had.  

14 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yep.  I get that Adley was hurt but if he wasn’t, the OD team should have had him at C and GRod and Bradish in the rotation.

Its not a huge deal that they wait a little bit with them but the problem is, better players should have also been up for those guys to come up and be around and play with.

The idea that we are 4 years into this “rebuild” and Watkins is still getting starts, A guy like Owings is up in a critical situation and Odor is starting against righties is a joke.  But yea, the goal of the FO isn’t to lose games.  Riiiiiggghhhhttttt.