Raise your hand if you think Watkins was a better choice than Bradish?

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course you can..it’s simple.  Ownership.

He can easily say that he did what was asked and what he said he wanted to do but when it came time for them to spend, they wouldn’t do it.  

It’s the Angelos family, so it’s totally believable.

This. I almost feel like ownership has intentionally sabotaged the franchise the last decade or so. As soon as we had any modicum of success, the old man had to jump in and mess it all up😔

2 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Of course I understand. But if you know what he’s doing and that he’s doing it for the long term of the team why would anyone disagree with that? The only reason any of us want the players up now and not worry about the service time is selfish reasons (myself included). We are getting impatient and ready to see guys we been hearing about for years. 

I haven't taken the time to read anyone else's reply to this, but man, you've sure got it wrong where I'm concerned. 

It's all about selfishness for me, but not in any way because I'm "getting impatient and ready to see young guys...".

It's because as a fan, I should be able to expect a quality product put on the field, or at least the attempt at such.  I cannot see how our GM and owner can look at the product that's been put on the field the past 2 years -- because it's really been the past 2 years that it's been such an obvious tank -- and sleep at night.  

As Rob has said over and over, developing the young players and putting a quality product on the field do not have to be mutually exclusive.  

To me, as a selfish fan, you as owner and GM have an obligation to provide a team that entertains.  I believe it's an actual obligation.  And up until recently, most owners and GMs worked according to that agreed-upon premise.   Now, with fans willing to go years and years without being able to expect that there may be a win if they watch or attend a game, owners and GMs seem to feel they shouldn't have to try to field an actual Major League team while pursuing their end goals.  And it seems to be okay with a lot of people. 

It's not okay with me, and it doesn't have anything to do with being impatient about seeing the young talent. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, justD said:

I haven't taken the time to read anyone else's reply to this, but man, you've sure got it wrong where I'm concerned. 

It's all about selfishness for me, but not in any way because I'm "getting impatient and ready to see young guys...".

It's because as a fan, I should be able to expect a quality product put on the field, or at least the attempt at such.  I cannot see how our GM and owner can look at the product that's been put on the field the past 2 years -- because it's really been the past 2 years that it's been such an obvious tank -- and sleep at night.  

As Rob has said over and over, developing the young players and putting a quality product on the field do not have to be mutually exclusive.  

To me, as a selfish fan, you as owner and GM have an obligation to provide a team that entertains.  I believe it's an actual obligation.  And up until recently, most owners and GMs worked according to that agreed-upon premise.   Now, with fans willing to go years and years without being able to expect that there may be a win if they watch or attend a game, owners and GMs seem to feel they shouldn't have to try to field an actual Major League team while pursuing their end goals.  And it seems to be okay with a lot of people. 

It's not okay with me, and it doesn't have anything to do with being impatient about seeing the young talent. 

That’s just it if you’re not in love with the process you don’t have to be.  But if there’s 32 not everyone is going to win 90 games. It’s called being realistic with yourself. That’s what Elias is and has said as much In his interviews about having to break it down and start building. Ownership has been frustrating for us fans for many years however we don’t get to control that. They did make the decision to hire someone who has a plan and is sticking to it. Short term pain = long term gain. Sure we want a perennial contender every year but with the way baseball is it’s not as easy as here sign this guy and let’s be good. I’m sure while they’re winning in the future you won’t think bad to these days when Elias is building a “pipeline of talent throughout the organization” and think damn I was Wrong his plan worked. Spending money doesn’t guarantee wins. Talent does. If you have talent you can spend to fill in the pieces around those core guys. 

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

That’s just it if you’re not in love with the process you don’t have to be.  But if there’s 32 not everyone is going to win 90 games. It’s called being realistic with yourself. That’s what Elias is and has said as much In his interviews about having to break it down and start building. Ownership has been frustrating for us fans for many years however we don’t get to control that. They did make the decision to hire someone who has a plan and is sticking to it. Short term pain = long term gain. Sure we want a perennial contender every year but with the way baseball is it’s not as easy as here sign this guy and let’s be good. I’m sure while they’re winning in the future you won’t think bad to these days when Elias is building a “pipeline of talent throughout the organization” and think damn I was Wrong his plan worked. Spending money doesn’t guarantee wins. Talent does. If you have talent you can spend to fill in the pieces around those core guys. 

Or long term pain that might lead to short term gain.

The O's were good from 2012-2016.  The bookends on either side are getting super close to 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

You just don't seem to get it.  How is  putting a good product on the field in any way sabotaging the long-term gain? 

It's beyond frustrating that this point has been made over and over again and yet you guys don't see it.  

It's not mutually exclusive to have a good team on the field and still be building the franchise. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or long term pain that might lead to short term gain.

The O's were good from 2012-2016.  The bookends on either side are getting super close to 20 years.

I had Zero confidence in the prior regime. I feel like they had chances to get pieces to win the whole thing coming off the ALCS trip but they dropped the ball. I feel like they’re getting close. Until Elias proves otherwise he gets a few more years before I start questioning his desire from ownership to not try and put a winner on the field.