Raise your hand if you think Watkins was a better choice than Bradish?

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, justD said:

You just don't seem to get it.  How is  putting a good product on the field in any way sabotaging the long-term gain? 

It's beyond frustrating that this point has been made over and over again and yet you guys don't see it.  

It's not mutually exclusive to have a good team on the field and still be building the franchise. 

Since I don’t get it please tell me what you would do differently to make the 2022 Orioles a playoff team? 

Please help me get it! 

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Since I don’t get it please tell me what you would do differently to make the 2022 Orioles a playoff team? 

Please help me get it! 

Either you don't get it or you're being intentionally obtuse.

She didn't say anything about making the 2022 Orioles a playoff team.  No one did.

But it's ignorant to think that they couldn't have spent some money over the past two or three years to make the on-field product somewhat appealing.  

• Like 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Either you don't get it or you're being intentionally obtuse.

She didn't say anything about making the 2022 Orioles a playoff team.  No one did.

But it's ignorant to think that they couldn't have spent some money over the past two or three years to make the on-field product somewhat appealing.  

If you aren’t making the playoffs then what’s the point? The point of playing is to win the WS not reach 81 wins. 

Why is it such a big deal that I agree with the plan for rebuilding the entire organization rather than sign a few has beens to help the team get to 81 wins. 

Some are satisfied with that. I want years of contending for a championship. This team had so many holes last year that even filling the roster with vets would have been a stretch to reach 81 games. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rays used openers, skews their numbers.

All teams use openers occasionally. Rays deliberately constructed their pitching staff around the idea that they don’t really want traditional starters. The number isn’t skewed, it’s by design 

Edited by seak05

1 minute ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Please help me get it! 

Sorry.  Been a tough day.  Didn't mean to condescend, in response to what I saw as patronizing.  

There have been so many posts about what could be done differently, but mostly my feeling would be at least to try to put a decent product out there.  We have an anticipated payroll this season of $30-40 million.  That's not trying.  We have prospects that aren't getting a chance to get their feet wet.  That's not trying.  

I'm hoping, and truly do anticipate, that this will change later this season.  If and when it does, no more complaints from me.  

Probably not a lot more complaints anyway.  I root for the Orioles and shout "Go O's!" to strangers at McDonald's here in Harrisburg who happen to be wearing a crisp new white O's cartoon bird cap.  I have season tickets that I won't be trading in even tho my husband is no longer here to share them with me.  I watch or listen to the ML games on TV while flipping from game-to-game on the Minor League app to see the prospects.  Up until this year I was at Spring Training every year but one since they were still in Fort Lauderdale.  Have even headed out to AZ for the Fall League to see prospects.  I religiously attend Senators games to see every Baysox series when they're in town, and have my vouchers this year to do so as well. 

When the O's win, I'm in a fantastic mood.  When they lose, I'm grumpy as hell.  

Tired of having to be grumpy all the time, but still following them like my life depended on it for some reason.  And that doesn't stop. 

I think I need a nap before the game. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I had Zero confidence in the prior regime. I feel like they had chances to get pieces to win the whole thing coming off the ALCS trip but they dropped the ball. I feel like they’re getting close. Until Elias proves otherwise he gets a few more years before I start questioning his desire from ownership to not try and put a winner on the field. 

A few more years?

So he's had 2019, 2020, 2021 and now 2022 and we've seen no real improvement on the field.

You want to give him 2023, 2024 and 2025 before you start to question them?

Seven years worth of blank checks and then, you might start to question them?

If you aren’t making the playoffs then what’s the point? The point of playing is to win the WS not reach 81 wins. 

Why is it such a big deal that I agree with the plan for rebuilding the entire organization rather than sign a few has beens to help the team get to 81 wins. 

Some are satisfied with that. I want years of contending for a championship. This team had so many holes last year that even filling the roster with vets would have been a stretch to reach 81 games. 

Why do you think both are mutually exclusive?  You haven't been able to explain it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

All teams use openers occasionally. Rays deliberately constructed their pitching staff around the idea that they don’t really want traditional starters. The number isn’t skewed, it’s by design 

It's by design but it's skewed if you are comparing them to teams like the O's who are not using the same strategy.

For the record I don't consider a "bullpen game" to be the same thing as using the "starter" strategy.  If all other teams are using "starters" you should be able to find plenty of examples.

17 minutes ago, justD said:

You just don't seem to get it.  How is  putting a good product on the field in any way sabotaging the long-term gain? 

It's beyond frustrating that this point has been made over and over again and yet you guys don't see it.  

It's not mutually exclusive to have a good team on the field and still be building the franchise. 

The expectations for this team are so low that people feel you can’t walk and chew gum at the same time because we haven’t seen them do it in 40 years.

1 minute ago, justD said:

Sorry.  Been a tough day.  Didn't mean to condescend, in response to what I saw as patronizing.  

There have been so many posts about what could be done differently, but mostly my feeling would be at least to try to put a decent product out there.  We have an anticipated payroll this season of $30-40 million.  That's not trying.  We have prospects that aren't getting a chance to get their feet wet.  That's not trying.  

I'm hoping, and truly do anticipate, that this will change later this season.  If and when it does, no more complaints from me.  

Probably not a lot more complaints anyway.  I root for the Orioles and shout "Go O's!" to strangers at McDonald's here in Harrisburg who happen to be wearing a crisp new white O's cartoon bird cap.  I have season tickets that I won't be trading in even tho my husband is no longer here to share them with me.  I watch or listen to the ML games on TV while flipping from game-to-game on the Minor League app to see the prospects.  Up until this year I was at Spring Training every year but one since they were still in Fort Lauderdale.  Have even headed out to AZ for the Fall League to see prospects.  I religiously attend Senators games to see every Baysox series when they're in town, and have my vouchers this year to do so as well. 

When the O's win, I'm in a fantastic mood.  When they lose, I'm grumpy as hell.  

Tired of having to be grumpy all the time, but still following them like my life depended on it for some reason.  And that doesn't stop. 

I think I need a nap before the game. 

I definitely understand the frustration. I also understand the skepticism about ownership. Anyone that’s been a fan and watching the O’s for years should be. I just am buying into the Elias plan and I like to take the positive approach towards this rebuild. I am with you. When they lose I spend time complaining about what could have been done better. 

Last night is a prime example. I feel like they beat themselves especially in the 8th and 9th not getting guys in that are in scoring position with no outs. Mullins hit the double I was 100% confident that Mountcastle, Mancini or Hays could get the job done. The thing that helps keep me sane is knowing that In a month or so we will see some prospects we been following for years show their faces. Thing is if we spent money then those vets are in the way of ABs and innings for the young guns on the way. 

Not everyone will agree but that’s my approach and keeps me excited each night about the team I’ve loved since birth. 

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

How can you possibly think that? Watkins last night? Odor? Trading BP arms when not necessary? He is definitely all in on tanking this year. 

Instead of concentrating of the things you don't like, try concentrating on what you do like.

Bullpen:  There is a lot of discussion and good thoughts about what posters have seen so far.

Rotation:  Means, Grayson, DL, T Wells, Bradish, Zimmermann, Baumann.  Many don't like Lyles but most think he can eat innings.

Infield:  I like three.  Mountcastle, Mateo and Urias

Outfield:  Hays, Mullins, Santander with Stowers already having AAA experience and probably in the majors in a couple of months.

That does not look like tanking to me.

I definitely understand the frustration. I also understand the skepticism about ownership. Anyone that’s been a fan and watching the O’s for years should be. I just am buying into the Elias plan and I like to take the positive approach towards this rebuild. I am with you. When they lose I spend time complaining about what could have been done better. 

Last night is a prime example. I feel like they beat themselves especially in the 8th and 9th not getting guys in that are in scoring position with no outs. Mullins hit the double I was 100% confident that Mountcastle, Mancini or Hays could get the job done. The thing that helps keep me sane is knowing that In a month or so we will see some prospects we been following for years show their faces. Thing is if we spent money then those vets are in the way of ABs and innings for the young guns on the way. 

Not everyone will agree but that’s my approach and keeps me excited each night about the team I’ve loved since birth. 

It’s not accurate that if you sign guys that young players are blocked but obviously you can’t seem to see that, so I guess agree to disagree is the way to go.

• Upvote 1