The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

On 5/24/2022 at 8:59 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get the "we haven't been able to develop pitching..." argument.

Are the same people in charge?  How is it in any way relevant who the pitching coordinator was under Andy MacPhail?

Didn't Elias and Sig come into town with a reputation for a special sauce for pitchers?  Was that all just "High spin rate gud"?

If the BPA is a pitcher, take them.  If the best guy you can get back in a trade is a pitcher, get them.

Collect and develop talent.

The franchise developed Means, they developed Grayson and they developed Hall.

Until they actually have a positive impact Grayson and DL haven't.  Did you say the same thing when Bundy, Matusz, Arrieta, and Gausman were high rated prospects?

2 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Did you say the same thing when Bundy, Matusz, Arrieta, and Gausman were high rated prospects?

Yes, because folks were busy talking about the failed pitching prospects a decade earlier.

Each group that gets brought in has to be judged on what they do, not on what prior groups did.  The franchise is not the victim of some curse that precludes them from developing pitching.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nope!  Exactly what the doctor ordered.  Would anyone think we're better off if Ryan Mountcastle had a few extra homers, but Jordan Lyles and Bruce Zimmerman were borderline unpitchable?

If Zimmerman or Lyles were unpitchable at home with the old wall, then the problem is with them, not the park. Is making Zimmerman borderline pitchable worth turning Gerritt Cole into Bob Gibson whenever he rolls into town? 

1 hour ago, deward said:

Mancini looked disgusted with having to settle for a double on that ball he hit off the top of the wall tonight. I continue to suspect that the biggest impact of The Wall on free agents will be driving away RHH.

I'm sure they'll be ok signing with the O's if they offer the most money.

398 out to the LF power alley is just too deep.  I hope they make another change to bring that part of the wall in a bit and get rid of that 90 degree corner.

Mancini annihilated that ball.  The estimated distance was 411, with a perfect trajectory and an EV of 108.  I'm all for making players earn HRs, but with the wall height as high as it is, Mancini is right to feel a bit cheated.

No question they went a bit overboard with the distance and height of the new wall.   I’m sort of neutral between the overly generous (to the hitters) old dimensions and the overly stingy new ones.  I would have preferred something halfway between.   I do like the quirky look of it, though.   

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No question they went a bit overboard with the distance and height of the new wall.   I’m sort of neutral between the overly generous (to the hitters) old dimensions and the overly stingy new ones.  I would have preferred something halfway between.   I do like the quirky look of it, though.   

I wonder if they can add an extra row of seats and just make it like 8 feet in.  They can keep the 90 degree angle then and it's a little more fair.

10 hours ago, deward said:

Mancini looked disgusted with having to settle for a double on that ball he hit off the top of the wall tonight. I continue to suspect that the biggest impact of The Wall on free agents will be driving away RHH.

1. Imagine how many free agent RHH we'd attract if the LC wall was 275' away and 2 inches tall.  They'd be lined up around the block.

2. Haven't you argued that there was never a free agent pitcher who looked at the old 364' sign and considered that as a reason to not sign here?  Then why would the new dimensions impact hitters' decisions more? You can't have it both ways. Or maybe you prefer RHH free agents over free agent pitchers? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

I wonder if they can add an extra row of seats and just make it like 8 feet in.  They can keep the 90 degree angle then and it's a little more fair.

I think fair is having both teams facing the same dimensions during the game. 

If we follow this fairness thread to its conclusion we're going to end up back in 1975 when most teams played in symmetrical parks that were about 330-375-400. Fair to everyone, and completely devoid of character.

• Upvote 1

I feel bad for Mancini.

Last night was the first time all season I thought to myself, "You know, this wall is too high."

Melanie Newman pointed out that there are balls that have flown on to Lansdowne Street outside of Fenway that would have not cleared The Great Wall of Camden.

I don't like the idea of balls being homers in all 29 stadiums except ours.

Freaking Wall-timore man...

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's interesting that Elias stated before the season began that he felt the stadium would still lean towards being a hitters' park. That definitely hasn't been the case. It's officially summertime now, so I guess we'll see how it plays. Humidors also likely playing a factor too.

While I know some people like the quirkiness of the new look, I personally felt that the new design was so ridiculous looking that it was a temporary change to see how things went before going with a more permanent decision. But it wasn't cheap to do, the price tag also suggests that maybe this is it.